Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to build a pickup bed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by clutchers, Jun 27, 2015.

1. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

I want to build a pickup bed for my 37 pickup ( no fenders ). Has anyone done this and can give me some ideas? Thanks.

2. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

In the past I was building pickup boxes and tow behind trailers for a golf cart retailer.
    Using sheet 22 gauge sheet metal and a 4 ft. brake. Bend a double lip for the top edge and a single single lip on the bottom. Then use a sheet of 18 ga. for the bottom and tailgate. Framed with 1/2 x 1" light weight tubing. Mig welded on. For front/rear box/tailgate strength and looks. Basic straight brake bends and simple angles. Any sheet metal shop can bend the stuff. Seams sealed with Home Depot "Alex" sealer. Painted with TSC store tractor paint with hardener. Did over fifty of them.

A low buck buddy of mine saw what I was building and I ended up making one for his channeled 34 Ford pickup. Just added some pockets for a wood rail on top..

clutchers likes this.
  3. 29moonshine

29moonshine

use 16 gauge bend a 3/4 lip at the bottom then another bend the height you want the bed side at about 30 degrees weld a piece of pipe to the outside edge.[ go to lowes and get a ref . box and cut it up as a pattern for the bed . cardboard and duct tape is cheaper than metal if you do not like the way it looks]

4. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

This is similar to what I have in mind. Thanks for the info.

5. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

The cardboard is a good idea.

6. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

I have done this before and just recently actually. You could get real fancy with this but here's one easy way. I start by framing the bed floor out with angle iron. On the sides i flip two pieces of the angle back to back but t dont to it on the front or back. Use box tube for cross supports. Weld in a piece of flat stock across the corners and keep it square. Keep in mind you are building this on your frame and that you gotta
    Incorcorate your frame's axle hump and mounting tabs. I wont even get into slammed frames and what not.

Use 16g cold rolled steel and get your sides press braked to (as someone said earlier) to 30 -45 degrees usually 6" wide ir so.
    I drill holes in my sides an MIG thru the holes to the angle iron frame...kinda like a spot weld. Do this the length of the bed.

For your headache board i use a 1" box tube frame then cover it in 16 g. For the bed rolls i use1" plumbing pipe and yes i know i know but it really is just cosmetic. Weld the outter top edge tangent to the pipe. Stitch it or it'll warp.

I make the tailgate the same way as the headache board only i hinge it with long reach boat hatch hinges. I won't get into the latches as there are a lot of ways to do this. The floor can be wood and you can get fancy here as well.

Now. The corner posts can be done as simple as you like but i make mine that i call "scroll posts". I make a fancy flowing shape and make an oak hammer form. These can be made though from square tube. I am attaching some pics so you can see what im talking about here...

7. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

8. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

Granted this bed was a major rebuild and not a scratch build but i have done it. Its just the best example pics of what ive been blathering about. It usually costs me about $40 to get the sides broke plus 3 sheets of 16 g steel

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

10. fleetside66

fleetside66

I did the one in my avatar. To get crisp & precision bends , I had the guy at the roofing supplies place (where I bought the metal) bend the sides with his big-ass computerized bender/cutter. The bed front was just a similar slab of sheet metal. I forget what the gauge was, but it was hefty stuff. I know that because I went through a number of hole saws to do the holes. I framed the inside if the bed with 1/2" square tubing for added rigidity and was able to string wires through those channels for a clean look. The tailgate is from a later 30's Ford truck...maybe your year...I forget that, too. Good luck with yours. It's a fun thing to do. If I could do it, anyone can.

JimKing likes this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I built the small bed on my RPU, pictures of the process are in my build thread.
    roadster outside ! 004 (2).jpg roadster outside ! 006 (2).jpg

kidcampbell71, saltflats and 48stude like this.
  12. unkamort

unkamort

Shoot... I didn't know what I was'doin

Attached Files:

13. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

Looks good. Like the corner posts.

14. 48stude

48stude

I built my bed from scratch using a 4" brake , 16 gage for the bed sides and bottom , 20 gage for the front and back, reinforced with 16 gage square tube. I used electric weld round tube for the bed rolls. Bill trk.jpg

15. Todd M.

Todd M.

I just built one for my 1937. Click on the build link at the bottom for ideas. Here's a couple of pics. The built in utility box lid not completed yet.
    [​IMG]
    Custom Crist Craft style panel wood.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71, 48stude and bct like this.
  16. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

You know...im always blown away by the level of talent on here!

17. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

We're about an hour south of you if you need any pieces broke. Here's one we did.

Deek
    IMG_0085.PNG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I used 18 gauge, bent it up on our brake and rolled some beads in it. Still a lot of work to do, like making pockets, etc. Before I made it in steel I made a mockup one out of masonite to get the proportions I wanted.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and 54reno like this.
  19. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

Looks real good.

20. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

Looks great. I'll definitly be in touch when I get my metal.

21. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

Looks good. Sure like the louvered cover.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    bed I made 30 years ago bed pockets and all...no bed stiffening beads though. I had the panels bent up and then assembled it.