Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical two posts hoist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by verde742, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verde742

verde742

Who makes a TWO posts hoist, 9-10,000 lbs, RED in color, Less than $2,000.00 in price, AND who on here has one, and do they like it? OR do you have "buyer's remorse" and wish they would have bought a different one?

I want one as convenience, but I want a RED one, and I don't want to buy the "wrong one" Like I thought I did when I bought the drive on, several years ago. The guy that repaired my drive-on, (seals) said: they are all basically the same, most parts are even interchangeable. He also said, we live in such a global world, don't waste time with regrets. Just use common sense when you use it, You will have no problem with any of them.

:confused: THOUGHTS GANG ???????????:confused::confused:

Thanks for any input..

2. 2racer

2racer

3. indyjps

indyjps

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Ya know if you have a shop big enough for a lift I bet you have an air compressor big enough to run a spray gun, or at minimum a brush... an can make any lift any color you want

5. They might all be designed basically the same, but they are definitely not all the same quality.
    You get what you pay for.

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Mohawk's are red and the best lift out there by far.

Pat

34andy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. High5

High5

The Backyard Buddy is probably what you are thinking of. Here's the link:
    http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

There's an institute (Automotive Lift Institute) that will test and certify them. Too many horror stories out there to trust anyone's lift. Here's the link. They list out what brands they have tested and approved:

http://www.autolift.org/

8. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A hoist is not something you purchase based on colour and price alone. This isnt a watch that is always going to be five mins slow, this is a piece of machinery that is going to hold your car above your head while you wrench on it. A high potential for a bad situation. Definately check out the site High5 suggested and do your homework. Like has been said, you can paint it red if you feel the need. Also be aware that a two post hoist requires a proper concrete pad when installed to anchor it to. You cant just mount it to the two inch deep slab in your average garage floor.
    Snap-on hoists are red and black. I personally love Rotary hoists but they are blue and yellow.
    Good luck.

9. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

After studying the hell out of the very same thing, I decided on a USA made rotary brand 10,000 lb symmetrical for my shop. And I ordered a red one.

I love it

10. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I considered an off shore one based on price. I thought that it might be o.k. ,then I decide if I was going to put a 50000 dollar car on a 2000 dollar lift, not gonna happen here. I found a used ammco , American made & red. Also it is asymmetrical. Cost me 2500

11. Make sure you read reviews on ANY lift you purchase for under $3K. There are horror stories about lifts that were underrated and collapsed.

12. verde742

verde742

It's so darn confusing,....

when I see those cars kinda hangin' there, kinda scary,
    even with the most expensive ones.

13. aaggie

aaggie

When I built my retirement home I had a 24' X 40' shop built in the back yard with a 12' high ceiling and 8" thick slab so I could have a lift . I haven't bought one yet but my priorities would be American made and the best certification possible. My neighbor has a 4 post with wheels and is handy because you can move it but I think the 2 post is better since the suspension hangs and is more accessible. Color would not be that important to me.

14. verde742

verde742

Most of the hoist I am considering are powder coated. The red "drive on" is outside and has faded, and fits in with the brick on my house, garage and earth tones of the neighborhood. I have had "no issues" with the neighbors. BUT, if I put a "bright blue" hoist next to the red one, I have one jerk neighbor who is the "citizen patrol" and will scream to the powers that be. One neighbor put up a blue one, and had so many days to take it down. I just don't want to take that chance. I will find a RED powder coated one.
    I am far from cheap, but I am thrifty. Gosh, I hate "Cheap"
    If I put up a second hoist outside my garage, to the UN-knowing it might look like I am running a business. I am not, but I have people ask me "How much for an Oil change? "- don't do it..
    Appreciate your input..

15. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I recently finished my new shop building and so I am in the process of looking at hoists; gathering information and opinions.

I'm leaning toward a 4 post and so I am curious what the issues were with the drive on that you had.

It is a given that with a drive on the suspension, wheels etc. are not accessible without accessories but I'm having a hard time getting my head around being under a car held up by a two post.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are usually vendors around most bigger cities that deal in used high quality lifts and larger shop equipment. Locally there are a couple of tire shops with high quality hoists for sale for good prices because they don't fit in their business plan anymore. One is a 4 post that is local to me as in two and a half miles from the house. I'd look fo something like that rather than a "cheaper" new one and paint the thing the exact shade of red you want it to be.

17. verde742

verde742

I had the same apprehensions about the two posts, plus when the car sits on the 4 posts it sits the way it does on the ground..
    I thought I ordered a different hoist than the one I ended up with: I put half down, and when it showed up it was wrapped in plastic, I had rented a fork truck to unload it, trucker seemed in a hurry, we got it out of truck, unwrapped, and started to assemble. I thought "gosh this seems narrow" but posts were wide ENUFF, my cab over would fit thru, so with nabors help re-drilled and move ramps outward, Then, of course we had to re-make all the re-leasing rods to un-lock corners.

I got no decals, so I honestly don't even know what brand I got, receipt had letters and numbers, Shipping details were from the trucking terminal. After I put $1800.00 down, later I got another bill for $1800.00 By then the hoist was UP, I was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and on meds, radiation, chemo, confused, scared, and my wife sent off a check. So fast forward, Cancer is in remission, and I have a red drive on, life is good, now I want a RED two post.
    Seems like the more I research, the more confused I get. I talked to so many dealer with the four posts, I must have just finally closed my eyes and pointed. (don't mention this to my wife !!)
    She thinks we paid $1800.00 and I use it "all the time"
    cause I always have something setting on it.

18. Deucecoupe

Deucecoupe

I bought a 4 post (made in USA) about 10 years ago.
    6 years ago I bought 2 "bridge" jacks.
    Love it.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.