Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical NEWBIE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JUDGE SMAILS, Jun 29, 2015.

1. JUDGE SMAILS

JUDGE SMAILS

So I decided to get my feet wet with a street rod. Can anyone ID who makes the glass body and frame?
    cant find diddly on it. Its a 29 body. Would like to change the nose out. 29 ford3.jpg 01616_7O4CTIdFbxl_50x50c.jpg 29 ford4.jpg 29 ford3.jpg 01616_7O4CTIdFbxl_50x50c.jpg 29 ford4.jpg 01616_7O4CTIdFbxl_50x50c.jpg 29 ford4.jpg 29 ford3.jpg 29 ford3.jpg 29 ford3.jpg 01616_7O4CTIdFbxl_50x50c.jpg

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Welcome to the HAMB. Is this a car you bought recently or are looking to buy or replicate the build yourself?

The HAMB is not really geared toward street rods, but someone MIGHT recognize some feature on the frame or body that they've seen somewhere before and be able to answer your question regardless. From what I can see, it looks like a simple 3" rectangle tube frame with round tube reinforcing underneath. It looks like a T bucket kit frame that was altered to me.

If it's in your garage, take the nose off and look at how it's built under there. You can get repop 28/29 or 32 shells pretty easy if you want something like that. However, this car is channeled and I bet there's a short radiator under that nose, so you'll likely need to chop any new shell you get.

3. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

"Do you do drugs, Danny?"

"Every day."

"Good!"

One of the best lines ever from a great comedy....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Awesome Lebowski. lol CADDYSHACK !!!

That car would go a long way with a full hood, louvered hood sides, and some sort of lakes pipe exhaust setup. Hell ... some nice '40 Mercury wheels/spokes/wide 5's/whatever with Excelsiors or Firestone bias plys would change the whole look as well. Not a bad start, and easy to chuck the whole street rod look. Search "track nose roadsters", Dick Flint, Magoo, etc.

Total guess .... but Zipper body ? Zupan ? Strike 1, and 2 maybe ...

5. Maybe just the angle of the photo, but the cowl looks kind or round. Might be a clue to the maker.

6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure looks like an old Anderson Industries(AI) body to me. They were out of Elkridge Md. years ago. She looks to need some help to be HAMB friendly, but its a good starting point.

7. It doesn't really matter who made it. You are going to change whatever you want to make it look the way you like. I like the nose on it. I would just change the windshield to a fold down model. And find better wheels. Nice start for your rod.

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome ! Looks like a nice ride, Enjoy, make the changes you like, to make it yours

9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I'm thinking that car was featured in Rod Action early 80's

10. JUDGE SMAILS

JUDGE SMAILS

Would like to go with an A or B nose on it with a top section hood. The lights are on a bar through the Curtis nose and there is a hoop under the nose for support. Time get the wizzer out!! Any ideas on a good supplier for cut down shells and radiators?

11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You're going to have to cut your shell yourself I'd wager, but Speedway sells them cheap enough. I have one of their filled 28/29 shells and it is way nicer than I expected and steel. It should fit your car without chopping, just removing a few inches out of the bottom to drop it down.

I'd see if I can keep the radiator that's in there first if I was you. I've found sourcing radiators to be dizzying and frustrating. The short answer is, as I recall, 66 Mustang.

12. JUDGE SMAILS

JUDGE SMAILS

Yup the radiator looks just like the one on my old 65 stang. This ride has a single radius rod and single transverse torsion bar suspension up front with rack and pinion steering.. What are the pros and cons of this set up?

13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

It what? That sounds VERY strange. I think I need to see a picture just to figure out what you are describing.

If your goal is to have a more traditionally styled hot rod, that should be changed out for a set of hairpins or split bones.

If your goal is to drive it and have fun this summer, do so, and plan changes for the winter.

14. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Keep the grill remove current air cleaner, replace it with a dropped based air cleaner add a full hood with sides and run the exhaust under the car. Track_t.JPG Track1_t.JPG

patmanta and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Or if the track nose needs to go that rounded cowl would go well with a Willys grill shell. ;)

[​IMG]

Duh'Oh :oops: I meant Whippet grill shell. Well at least it was a W word, right? :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015