Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Did you end up using a column bushing or bearing? I too need to put one in the column on my 46 ford.
    Thanks
    Matt

2. Spanky65

Spanky65

I'm still having trouble uploading this video, but here's the link to it on YouTube. Full video and better quality.

3. Spanky65

Spanky65

IMG_20150702_060141.jpg
    I think this is my favorite shot of both cars, so much color! But there is a Corvette or something ruining the photo haha.

4. loudbang

loudbang

Now all you need is a "trunk monkey" to jump out and help you back up all the time. :rolleyes:

5. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Incredible job! It sounds fantastic and looks perfect! love it Johnny

6. the Dynamic Duo for sure...both great cars... Thank you again Jer for sharing the builds here !

7. I love that car. Fucker sounds damn good!

8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

A job (or should I say TWO jobs) well done!

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

Ah, the summer… warm (?) weather, the beach, the pool, BBQ’s, the trail drives, the bug bites, rope burns, sun burn, heat stroke, just kikkin’ back recuperating, rejuvenating, etc, etc. NOT! The peeling chrome, fractured paint, can’t get the glass work done to be able to install the Appleton’s, corroding garnish mouldings. The joy, the agony, the drama. Stay tuned.

10. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Wow - and I thought I was having a bad day - hang in there Jer.

11. Jer,isnt that about par for most of us building a car?

12. Ah, yes; so close and yet.. It'll happen, but it is hard to be patient isn't it? Sometimes organizing the final touches on a build is much like herding cats!

Wait'n and watchin'...
    Dave

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

009.JPG When Chris installed the headliner he sprayed glue and bumped everything with his fist to get good contact. Every bump fractured the skim coat of filler that was all over the repaired top. None of this showed up until things got hot. You had to look closely in the sun but they were there. Between the 1/4glass and back glass.

Here they are fixed. Stay tuned. 008.JPG

MUNDSTER likes this.
  14. that just sucks, glad it's fixed...

15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I must say, the fact that you already repaired it lessens my aggravation over this little setback.

16. daddio211

daddio211

Ugh... heartbreaking setback but it seems you powered right through it as usual!

17. Torchie

Torchie

Hang tough Jer. The end is in sight.
    Torchie

18. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK, here's the verdict on the spray on chrome front garnish moldings. They will not tolerate any handling. Discolor and peeling, I give up. I bought stock garnish awhile back for this possibility. After 3 tries I give up on the pics.

Oh...the joy.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  19. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Well that answers that question. If it can't be used as garnish molding then where is an area that it can be used - sounds a little bit of a waste to me. Thanks Jer.

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Inspirational. Fantastic.
    Sucks about the fake chrome.

21. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

hang in there man, ! you,ve come so far with this,its inspiring people world wide.I,d love to build one of these one day to half your standards,and i,d be happy as a pig in shit!

hacknwhack likes this.
  22. jivin jer

jivin jer

The old bones are stirrin", looks like it's time to get off the lazy boy.

Asphalt Demon and RICH B like this.
  23. Torchie

Torchie

Good to hear Jer. We have all been waiting for some up dates.
    Torchie

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

Here are the defective garnish moldings and the cut down replacements. I'm having Frank Palmer do 012 (4).JPG 011 (4).JPG this. He's about 30 minutes away, and I'm going back and forth making sure that everything fits.

25. Torchie

Torchie

Wow. They sure didn't last very long did they.
    Torchie

26. Wow, that is something. I would have expected them to hold up a bit better than that.

27. Man that looks like they missed the last clear coat step leaving the silver layer exposed to the elements. Not very impressive at all.

28. I'd like to say I'm surprised at the spray-on chrome, but I'm not..... Virtually all those 'fake chrome' products are just that, fake. They photograph better than they look in person and have very poor durability.

29. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

let me ask a dumb question, but why couldn't strip and chrome plate the chrome painted ones??

MUNDSTER likes this.
  30. I think Jer finished the chopping of the garnishes with a skim coat of filler rather than the time-consuming measure of metal-finishing them all; and the chrome paint appeared to be a viable option.. No such luck apparently! Thanks Jer for trying the process for those of us who considered the same approach. I've decided to paint mine to match the exterior since I'm not doing a tribute car and mine contain some filler too!

Dave