Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Back after long time 1957 imperial project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Remcolent, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Remcolent

Remcolent

Hi All,
    I.m Remco, live in the Netherlands , Like old cars no rice for me.
    About 10 years ago I was planning on a custom rebuild for my 1957 imperial 4dr ht.
    Bought al the go fast parts for the engine including a 6-71., and then it stopped.
    Wife did not like any money spend on that old iron, so the car went into the shed.
    But am a free man now, so its time to start again with the imperial.
    A long list to do, top shop , about 3 inch, sinking the windshield and tilting it in a little.
    I am lucky I think that the car is a 4 door ht , so no B pillar, and the roof is already in two sections..
    airride , and a four link rear.
    Engine is the original 392 , at first I wanted it to run on liqued propane injection, but that plan is scraped, way to $$ , and a lot of electronics.
    So it will be bio methanol for the strip and propane with empco setup for the street.
    Already had the front drums replaced with a set of diskbrakes.
    Want the strearing to be rack and pinion., was not realy happy with the original setup.
    Have a nice mill and lathe to make a lot of parts myself, and some good frends to help with the project.
    I hind it hard to find good pics and discription about sinking the windshield, I now it is diverend with every car, and have a idea how to do it, but detailed pics would be helpfull.

Remco

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on being able to build your '57. post some pics of how it looks now, and as you do work.

Remcolent likes this.
  3. Remcolent

Remcolent

[​IMG]
    This is how it looks now ,

4. Always wanted to do an Imperial, love them. Build it baby!

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I love that your first thought is to supercharge the engine. I love that you think a 392 Chrysler hemi isn't powerful enough. I love that a 5000 pound 6 passenger luxury car that gets to 100Km hr in under 10 seconds, and has a top speed of over 200 Km hr is too slow for you.

May I suggest you do a completely stock rebuild with the best parts you can get, but add dual exhausts with big straight thru mufflers and a 4 core rad? Then get out on the Autobahn and show the Porsches and Mercedes your tail fins?

You will have enough horsepower to be getting along with.

6. Remcolent

Remcolent

Rusty,
    I used the Imperial as a daily driver for about 5 years.
    I did some upgrades during that time, including a 2 1/2inch duals stainless steel exhaust with Absorption mufflers. 750 carb.
    It was quick but not fast , and no way near Porsche fast.
    And I already have all the parts to make full use of the potential of that old 392.
    6-71, custom forged pistons, 4 bold main caps, MT rods, dry sump oil system, fluidyne aloy radiator and oilcooler, Nitrous set, blower cam, 4L80E trans with adaptorplate and manual shift kit . etc etc.
    Think / hope that that is enough to get it in the high 10 sec on the 1/4
    I,m not realy into stock or standard.
    There are not a lot 50,s top chopped Imperials with a supercharger sticking out of the hood.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Unless the motor was sick that car was a hell of a lot faster than any 1957 Porsche. I'm wondering what you are used to driving, that the hemi seems too slow.

The car should be good for 200Km hr in stock form.

8. Remcolent

Remcolent

Even a _(&$%# prius can do 195 Kmh , and a VW rabbit GTI mk5 has a top of 235 and with just a bit of chip tuning 250 Kmh easy. BMW and Audi diesel cars have a limiter set at 250 Kmh.
    So 200 is not fast i.m.h.o.
    I,m just 40 minutes drive away from the German Autobahn, and that is a part with no speed limit.
    So it would be nice to show the 2015 Porsches and Mercedes my tail fins. and have some fun on the track with it.
    Just like to go fast, modded a mobility scooter with a 600 cc honda motorbike engine, and did 170 Kmh on the 1/4 with that.