Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects GNRS '16 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Coalition, Nov 12, 2014.

1. So I purchased a '50 Shoebox from Derek over at Boling Brothers in Tulare, Ca. He did a perfect job on the chop and that’s what really sold me. I have search the million shoebox threads and have learned a ton but I am going to use this thread as the specific place for me to ask questions and show the progress on the build. Attached are some photos and below I have my first question posted, any help would be much appreciated. The car is now at Grossi Speed and Fab in Clovis, Ca and I couldn't be happier that they accepted the job. These guys built my roadster and are first class.

Question #1: When building a new truck floor I understand that a '69 Mustang tank is the best for the application. Does anybody recommend a company that sells a good solid tank that isn't made in China?

Attached Files:

2. Used a early mustang tank in mine. Relocated the filler. Easy to do since there was never any gas in it. Tank was made in canada with drain plug. Best quality you can get. May be so other guys doing it different.

Attached Files:

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

We used a Mustang tank in my friend Craig's Shoebox as well . Worked like a charm . His fuel door is shaved , so we just made a really short fuel filler to sit on top of the stock 'Stang tube & a vent out the bottom of the car - he just pops the trunklid to fill it & seems happy to do it that way . My Shoebox is running a stock-style poly tank in the original spot . Works great for me . Early Volvo cars (up into the 70's even) used a tank very similar to the Mustang tank - that might be an option as well .

BTW - Very clean install , Tedley .

4. flopalotofit

flopalotofit

I cut thefloor out of my 51 and the spare tire well , installed a crossmember in frame to hang a 89 Bronco tank. I think its 23 gallons. also used the Bronco shield under the tank. I raised the tank up into the car to obtain same ground clearance as original tank. filler is almost in same spot. then I welded up the new floor. Hope this helps !!

5. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

I have used a volvo 140 tank on my shoebox that i are building on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this pics show the right side rear light placed gas filling hole

/Stefan

6. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Very nice roof line on that shoebox! Keep on building

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Ok, sorry for being so lame and not keeping this build thread current. The project has definitely taken a turn for the better. We are busting ass on it so that we can hopefully debut it at the GNRS '16. The rendering attached is a very rough sketch of the final product. We should have it in full color within the next week. Zombie of Rod and Kulture is the artist behind the art. I'll get a build update with pics later this afternoon or tomorrow. Looking forward to introducing the HAMB to Jared Fullmer of Influential Mfg. Co., he is doing some killer work on the Shoebox
    shoebox sketch 02 (1).jpg

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's gonna look KILLER !!

9. The car came with a 302 but I stumbled on a bitch'n 390 FE motor over at Grossi Speed and Fab. A deal was struck and I quickly became the proud owner of a rebuilt FE motor. Its super clean and I let that cloud my vision. It's kinda like when you meet that beautiful girl and then after a few months of dating you realized what you got yourself into. Unlike regretful relationships I decided to push through the hard times and make this motor work.
    When I took the shoebox over to INFLUENTIAL MFG CO Jared Fullmer looked at the engine bay and then the motor and simply stated, "That's not going to work." So what was a good deal for the motor ended up being a wash once we had to buy a 4" recessed firewall and all new floors and trans tunnel. I must say though that working with Direct Sheetmetal was easy as pie. The owner was the one taking my order and I've never been taken care of like that. When I hung up I definitely felt confident about the quality of the product that would be arriving soon.
    ORIGINAL FIREWALL W/302
    origanal firewall .jpg
    NEW 390 FE MOTOR
    390 FE.jpg
    FIREWALL CUT AND PREPPED FOR NEW DIRECT SHEETMETAL 4" RECESSED PIECE
    CUT AND PREPPED.jpg
    NEW FIREWALL INSTALLED
    NEW FIREWALL.jpg
    NEW FLOORS TO FIT THE BIG BLOCK AND LARGER TRANSMISSION
    NEW FLOORS 1.jpg
    NEW FLOORS 2.jpg
    NEW FLOORS 3.jpg
    WHEN JARED MOCKED UP THE MOTOR WITH THE NEW SHEETMETAL IT FIT LIKE AND GLOVE AND LOOKED BAD A$$
    MOTOR 1.jpg MOTOR 2.jpg
    I'M HEADED OUT TO INFLUENTIAL MFG RIGHT NOW TO GET BACK TO WORK ON HER. I SHOULD HAVE PICS SOON OF MOTOR MOUNTS, NEW REAR SUSPENSION, FRECHED HEADLIGHTS, AND LINCOLN PUSH BUTTONS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  10. Zombie of Rod and Kulture worked his magic and created a rendering for us. The project is full steam ahead. I'll have progress pics coming soon. shoebox orig small.jpg

Muttley and Flipper like this.
  11. 51 ChopCan

51 ChopCan

Hey HRC- any more great updates/pics on this epic build.. also checked out GNRS & HRC, this seems most current.. my 51 is in similar morhposis from flatie to FE/FMstub/bagger so look to see/hear of more of your victories over dead metal...