Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jusdan24

jusdan24

clean out lines we used a old tire pump with an adapter. later we used a old oxygen tank surplus air force for tires fuel lines and nozzles .

2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Vintage Meets coming up.

This coming Thursday June 25th with a drivers meeting probably at 6:00 pm the Mississippi Valley Vintage Oldtimers Race Car Club will be running heats and features for sprints and midgets at the Southern Iowa Speedway, ½ mile dirt track in Oskaloosa, Iowa.

The next night, Friday, 35 miles west is the annual Nostalgia at Knoxville Meet presented by the Knoxville Speedway on the ½ mile dirt.

On Saturday afternoon is the Knoxville Hall of Fame induction ceremony and banquet and the regular Saturday night modern sprint car racing program.

On Thursday July 2nd and Friday the 3rd will be the final Vintage on track exhibition racing program of the AARA (Antique Auto Racing Association) at the ½ mile fairgrounds track in Van Wert, Ohio.

Again, heats and features for eligible cars.

This is the group that started Vintage exhibition racing 42 years ago and in the best days, ran 5 on track, two day events a year. Founders Dick McKee and Jim Ash were also instrumental in getting clubs in Davenport Iowa and Florida up and literally running.

Lately car counts have diminished due to an aging membership and the continued adherence to the eligibility of cars as originally specified at the inception of the club. A conscious decision to maintain that framework has been re-affirmed on many occasions in the later years and to cease operation when the car count could no longer support further events.

We have reached that point,and hope some new and old faces will join us for this fairwell race and party.

PM me with questions or for more info.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid

Hi Guys , hope I'm not out of line here , I just bought an old sprintcar project , it is an unfinished car and based as best I can tell on about a 64 CAE style chassis, I am just guessing that as I bought an old copy of a catalogue off ebay and that's what it seems to be as best I can tell, don't know when it was built, but it was never finished, anyway it came with a Lehmans timing chain cover water pump and oil pump, are these common ?, I can't find much about them when would they have been made etc thank you

4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Apparently a gully washer has hit Oskaloosa and tomorrow's Vintage race has been washed out.

Knoxville is uncertain yet for Friday depending on any further rain there.

5. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Winchester Old Timers is this Saturday and Sunday also with track time 9:45-10:30 AM, 12:00-12:55 PM on Saturday and 9:45-11:00 on Sunday.
    Saturday Weather is not looking great but lets hope it changes!

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

On track activity for tomorrow at Knoxville has been canceled, the barns will be available for displaying cars for those attending anyhow.

7. kiwikid

kiwikid

Hi Guys , is there anyone able to shed an light on Lehmans Parts - ie timing chain covers, water pumps, cam driven oil pumps etc, if not an idea where I may find out about these things thanks

8. jusdan24

jusdan24

yes what do you need .have some can get most any part needed .letme know

9. kiwikid

kiwikid

Thanks for your reply
    I actually have two timing chain covers with crank driven water pumps, one has a cam driven Dry sump oil pump arrangement , just wanting to know if they were common , were they popular or what were they used in when were they made etc any help appreciated

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

4th of July 57 yrs. ago. Denny Moore and Louie Unser in what would become one of the most successful, photographed, yet lowest mileage champ cars of the following decade. 7-5-a.JPG

s55mercury66 and Dean Lowe like this.
  11. racer chaser

racer chaser
    from indiana

Rootie..Once more Great Photo of Louie Unser..Some more interesting data on the Belanger #99...The car was entered at the DuQuoin 100 mile race in 1949 as the Meter-Drake Spl driven by Tony Bettenhausen who won the race on September 3rd. OnOctober 30th the car was entered by Murrell Belanger at Sacramento, the new owner. There is a great photo in the Rex Mays book Pole Position on page 446 of the original #99.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Good shot of Troy Ruttman in his one and only G.P. start at the French GP at Rheims 1958. rutt i.JPG

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

7-9-b.JPG 7-9-c.JPG 7-9-d.JPG Ziggy Snider at work, ISF 1966.

Black vette 59 and s55mercury66 like this.
  14. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

How did Troy Ruttman do in the GP?

15. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

10th place last car running I believe. Not bad really for a first timer IMO. Reims was basically several loooong straightaways in a triangle shape so it may have been more lack of car than driver.

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A couple of 'not so happy' campers. 7-11-a.JPG

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Didn't make em much tougher than this guy. 7-12-a.JPG 7-12-b.JPG 7-12-c.JPG

wheels53 and s55mercury66 like this.
  19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The original 'Tamale Wagon' 7-13-a.JPG 7-13-b.JPG 7-13-c.JPG

Black vette 59 and carl s like this.
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That looks like a '46 Ford push truck in the background so likely post-war.

21. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Good eye. But they were still "pull" trucks at that point. :D

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe the year was probably 1948 as Morales ran the #9 that year. And they were indeed 'pushing em off ' at that point, at least on the left coast. 7-13-d.JPG

Black vette 59 likes this.
  23. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

I didn't see the bumpers on the cars, Rootie. :oops:

Just this weekend I talked to a guy that said he was still pull starting at least some of the IMCA big cars in the late 1950s at the Minnesota State Fair. His job was sitting in the back of the pickup and hooking up the rope around the front axle and waiting until the engine started as the car was towed. He also had an attached smaller rope that he used to pull back in the main tow rope.

carl s likes this.
  24. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

This picture appears to show the rope attached to the Pull Truck, with another rope attached to retrieve the tow rope after released by the driver as you mentioned. Our Flat Tail Race Car does not have a Push Bar or on-board starter, and starts by a similar method. image.jpg

carl s likes this.
  25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

"Anybody know where my 9/16 wrench got off to?" :D 7-14-a.JPG

26. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Rootie, is that Larry Dickson driving?

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No, I believe it's Bud Tingelstad in the Federal Eng. car at ISF 1966.

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

7-15-a.JPG Neal Carter in the Lutes car 1951. Near as I can tell he is still alive and being born in 1923 he would now be 92 y.o. Next to him is the Deck Mfg. car driven by Mike Nazaruk.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  29. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Yes, Neal is alive and well. I spoke with him briefly at Indianapolis this May. And with him was Frank Burany who was another midget standout. Neal was using a cane to get around but other than that looked fine. Burany, who will turn 100 in August, was being pushed around but was still sharp mentally. Both were telling stories that day and they seemed to remember all of the details like they happened last week.

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That's great, we should all be so lucky to have a long run like that.

carl s likes this.