Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Oldsmobile f-85 cutlass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by young olds, Aug 24, 2013.

1. young olds

young olds

I bought this car in august of '11 when I was 17. I was cruising around craiglist and found this beat up 62 f-85, no interior or drivetrain and it was pulled out of a junkyard in the 90's and continued to sit. Already having a car at the house I jokingly said to my dad that I found a good drag car and I want it. Suprisingly he went for it, I didnt have the money so I called up everyone I did yard work for and made the rest of the money I needed in two days. I ended up getting the car for $325 and had plans of a stripped down drag car, just give it what it needs to run at the track. I didnt think it would take long, a year tops, but here I am 2 years later and its just now rolling on its own again. Ive since decided to build it with full interior and keep as many functions, Wiper ie., working as possible. I wanted to wait to post my build here until it was rolling after I realized it was going to take forever, but here it is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brut4s and oldsjoe like this.
  2. young olds

young olds

My dad was getting ready to redo the front end on his nova, and give me his front axle. Being on the hamb and having a drop axle and a car to build of course I thought gasser!!! That thought ended soon enough, I didnt want to use leaf springs. So I bought some stuff to do coil overs with four link
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think it came out great, looks clean without a panhard bar, and leaves a lot of room for an engine.

oldsjoe likes this.
  3. young olds

young olds

Then on to the back, again leaf springs got the thumbs down, Its already a four link car in the back so lets make it work. Lower mounts worked great where they were but the uppers needed raised a few inches. I spent a ton of money on the rear end, didnt realize they were that costly but i wanted it to be strong. Its a gm 8.5 with eaton posi, 30 spline moser axles,5/8 screw in studs, moser bolt in axle ends and bearing, motive 4.30 gear and a girdle cover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oldsjoe likes this.
  4. young olds

young olds

And the stuff I've done in the backround during the suspension process. I have a 455 im putting together for it, cut the floor out to fit the new drivetrain, and bought a transmission. I wanted something strong and something that will let me drive on the freeway with those 4.30 gears, so its not a hamb friendly tran if there is such a thing, its a t56.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is were im at right now. Next on my list is mounting the engine and trans. thanks for looking I hope you enjoyed it.

Svenski and oldsjoe like this.

5. Neat project!

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2. Olds motor as well. The engine compartment in these cars is a bitch, really small. Nice solution.

7. young olds

young olds

It is really small in there, hoping ill be able to fit headers and a clutch fork In there with the starter and steering on the same side. Ill probably end up going hydraulic with the clutch. I've also been thinking about ways to mount a chevy starter on the passenger side.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. young olds

young olds

Ive been working on motor mounts for it recently, hoping to get them done tomorrow or friday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have to buy a bell housing so i can bolt up the trans and make a transmission crossmember.

oldsjoe likes this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Lookin' good. This thread is such a breath of fresh air from the usual psuedo gasser crap.

raven likes this.
  10. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

your going to want to move those rear shocks out closer to the wheels if your not changing the rear axle length. learned my lesson on a 70 chevy did the samething . car wobbled all over .

11. young olds

young olds

Thanks, I like the "gasser" look but Im trying to build an actual drag car with some classic touches.

this is the second time ive been told to move the shocks outward, different reasoning though. Im going to leave them right where they are, I have a front and rear sway bar for it. Thanks for looking

12. young olds

young olds

no pics but the motor mounts are done. I'm thinking about making a mid plate to hold the engine in until I get my bell housing.

49 olds likes this.
  13. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Great car. Enjoy the build. I'll be following!

14. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Really like your car, I've always wanted an Olds powered unibody post F 85. Do you have any details on the motor? I agree with what bbc 1957 gasser says on your rear shock location however. Please keep the build pictures coming. Nice car.

15. young olds

young olds

The engine is nothing special, not even done yet. Its a .030 over 455, 9:1 comp, torker intake, im going to get a cam ground and run a centrifugal supercharger.

16. young olds

young olds

havent updated in ever! its been on the back burner for about 7 months now. since the last update i decided to go more drag then street. I put a chris alstons back half in, eliminator II 4 link. going away from the t56 in favor of a manual vb th350 and likely a blower instead of centrifugal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oldsjoe likes this.
  17. young olds

young olds

18. young olds

young olds

Car is still a work in progress, hoping to get back to work on it after about a 4.5 year break.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    ffr1222k, oldsjoe and doc's like this.
  19. belair

belair

Looking good. Great combo of body style, engine and direction.

20. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Very cool build! I always wanted to build a similar car only I was thinking convertible. Mainly because I knew where one was for cheap. Deal never happened your doing a hellufa good job! Joe

21. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

nice car.Mom had a convertible in 63..first time I've seen a 4 link set up on a front end looks really good.

22. young olds

young olds

Planning on bringing this car home after years in storage. I recently purchased a Vega box from a fellow member, other then that it’s been small progress. It now has a 4l80e, kilduff lightning rods, 15x12 rear wheels( et wheels could not make the wheels I wanted in the specs I needed so I ended up with billet wheels) with 31x13.50 tire, I decided to switch from bbo to sbo( I have a diesel block) but plan on sticking with the 8-71. Not hamb friendly anymore so no pictures and probably the last post I’ll make here but if interested I am a regular on the classicoldsmobile forum( same username).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    oldsjoe likes this.