Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Quick change rear end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by a36bonanza, Jun 26, 2015.

1. a36bonanza

a36bonanza

Hey guys, I'm in the process of selecting a rear end for my 30 coupe project. I would like a quick change rear end, I have a complete 40 ford banjo that I would like to use the tubes from and will most likely go with a Winters center section. I live in the Los Angeles/Orange Co. area, can anyone recommend a good rear end builder in this area?

2. Why don't you try it your self, it's not that hard, and will save you a few bucks.

3. deucemac

deucemac

According to Winters, their qc looks like a V8 center section but nothing interchanges. I have a nos Halibrand V8 center section made in Torrance and wanted to use their side gears, axles, and side bells to make mine a complete, drivable unit. That's when they gave me the bad news. So if you want a Winters, buy it complete. It will be cheaper than piece meal for sure.

4. a36bonanza

a36bonanza

Thank you for sharing your previous post.....great information! I have so much more that I would like to do at this point, I was hoping to find someone local to set this up for me but this does not seem out of realm with the info you have shared.Thank you!

theHIGHLANDER likes this.

5. a36bonanza

a36bonanza

I spoke with HRW in Idaho and they can build what I want, and yes, it is more money than just going directly to Winters but I like the traditional look of Ford tubes (bells) verses Winters tubes.

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

A little bit of misinformation here. Winters does have center kits that work with the original Ford trumpets. There are two versions. One uses a Wedgelock differential and requires 28 or 31 spline axles. The other uses the original Ford differential. That one can use the stock axles or be modified for push in axles.
    They don't sell conversion kits for Halibrand center sections.
    Message me and I can quote you prices. I am a Winters dealer, and I can set these up using your parts or can supply everything.

7. retro4

retro4

If you want a Model A quickchange Kiwi Quickchanges in NZ produce a new one that looks old . plus a V8 one same thing , all sand cast, & heat treated,

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Kiwi is Derek Thomason based in Nelson, New Zealand.
    Phone number is 64 - 3 - 544 7826.
    Email is [email protected]

9. Buy the winters Dick S. V8 unit and use your bells. This is the route I am going with mine.
    I have the bells done and all the parts to rebuild the old 40 bells. Will get it all put together after the Good Guys DeMoines event. Will have photos posted on my build page then.

10. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Send it to Gearhead and you will have a great rear end that will last. Locally, Speedway Engr. in Sylmar can help you with the assembly also. Kenny does not sell any Halibrand parts but can help you with any questions you may have. The differential is the part that makes a QC work on the street and everything else is easy.

11. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have an open drive banjo rear end. I think it came from a 46 Ford pickup. I think I've seen something about these being different from the standard banjo. Anything special about converting this to a quick change?

12. The original question was "can you recommend a builder in the LA area"? You need to talk with Frank at Speedway engineering in Sylmar, as previously suggested. Frank runs the shop and knows exactly how to make what you want. Super nice guys, and will build anything you want, even if it's not theirs. They just did a beautiful Speedway center section with Ford bells for my friend. Welded all his brackets on as required, and is as nice as any QC I've seen. Another friend took them a beat up old Halibrand sprint car center section. They rebuilt it completely and set him up for Ford bells. I've been running a Speedway Champ rear end for 8 years, and not one problem. Best part is they are local. You are not waiting for the UPS man!

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Some of the banjo rear ends used a 10 spline pinion shaft (instead of 6). I have always thought these were from pick ups. You need 6 spline.

14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Buy a Cyclone ;). Speedway Eng. does make great side bells for a V8 type most of everything you need is in that 40 banjo that you already have. Some machining required on the pinion of the what you already have. Ring gear =nil. Any V8 type QC housing, rear cover, hardware,change gears lower shaft, gear oil. Pull out axles add a little more machining, but sine you spoken with Nick/Ken @ HRW, they've probably already went thru all of that with you.