Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Two Cylinder Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 190BEAR, Jun 4, 2015.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks, have not seen it before. Wonder where it is now.

2. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Rich - I saw this car at the Muroc 50 year reunion in 1999! I never got to see it run as it just sat in the shade under a tent. I was absolutely knocked out by this thing and wanted badly to hear it run, but to the best of recollection, the owners never started it while I was anywhere close. It was a brilliant piece of engineering and, really, one of the reasons why the dry lakes and Bonneville are such fascinating places to visit.

I wonder if the engine the OP has is the same one I saw in 1999???

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. thats what I think too, that motor would be a beast blown, injected and on juice

4. I think the problem is that no believes that I would do that. :D

I actually already contacted my old boss and he said that the machine shop is mine between midnight and sun up if he can come watch. :D

I would sure like to know what is going to happen with this it is a shame to just let it go away.

brad2v and volvobrynk like this.
  5. That thing is AWESOME! Not sure about the whole cutting and shortening the blower case though, would have been easier to just go find a 3-71 somewhere!

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Saw a similar one in a lakester at ElMirage a few years ago...a sidewinder if I remember right. Was quite a piece.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Andy Carlson

Andy Carlson

I would expect that this was a Bonneville LSR motor, a Hemi 2 cylinder for a 2 cylinder class. Several of these engines have been run over the decades at Bonny...
    -Andy

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Part of the reason that someone may need access to a machine shop (and not be afraid to use it). Its not like you are going to just grab off the shelf parts when it is time to rebuild or set it up.

With a single flying toilet on it you would have more then enough air to feed it and changes from gas to alcohol to POP would be relatively easy. You could run in 3 classes in the same day if you wanted. ;)

I just noticed that it comes with a pair of sleeves and the block looks aluminum, I wonder it that is a cut down Donavan or a one off crank case.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The one I saw was a KB. In fact it was called the KB2

10. Rich you get to see more stuff than I do. Not fair, I guess I need to get out more. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. pitman

pitman

Chopper (?) magazine had one pictured, perhaps on the cover, early '70's.

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

Many attempts were used to make V twin bike engines. A slice of a SBC was popular as several others mentioned. I do know the SBC never worked out well because of vibration issues, the others were likely the same...
    All OHV or OHC bike engines were Hemi heads up until 30 years ago when the penthouse design proved superior.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. ^^^^Pent Roof^^^^

14. LOL I like both answers. But one reads better then it breaths.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You don't get to the lakes much. Lots of strange stuff to see there. The Jag V12 powered Camaro comes to mind. And that thing was fast. A Chevy 2 with an aluminum Cleveland head. Joe Panak's 8:71 blown fuel V12 Cad powered '34 Ford coupe. You got to love it.

volvobrynk and pitman like this.
  16. Hell Rich I don't even get across town much any more.

My dad used to take me two or three times a year to a dry lake near Reno, the stuff seemed normal to me then perhaps because I didn't know that it wasn't. I still see things in my head that would not seem in the least bit normal to me today. :D

17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Years ago there used to be an engine advertised in some of the Motorcycle magazines called a Super Vee.
    It used Chevy parts if I am not mistaken.
    I believe it was a real piece but I am unsure:)

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Zinger project??

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That would be kool in a Morgan style 3 wheeler.

20. brad2v

brad2v

Donovan blocks were early Hemi based no? So this thing is likely a KB block, or 25% of one anyway.

21. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

I remember seeing that motor in a magazine years ago, can`t remember what mag. Maybe H/R ?

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Black Rock? Just past Gerlach, up 447?

Was there for Thrust SSC. My ears are still ringing.

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The old Cal-Neva timing Assn. I knew a couple guys who ran there. Gone now.

24. Could have been hard to remember things like road names and exits from when you are around 5 years old (*maybe less still wearing braces)

I am going go guess that you are correct Rich. We did hit the Socal dry lakes when I was little too.

*my early years are divided into braces and walking without them. Other kids I think use Kiddy Garter as a dividing point.

25. I want that motor for my wife's golf cart!!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. 190BEAR

190BEAR
    from Colorado

I still have trouble posting pictures. Let's try this again. Just to give an idea of what it would look like so all that want it can start measuring the bikes and golf carts.:)

Attached Files:

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love it! I'd crash the hell out of anything running that!

28. LOL with the huffer it would need a frame built like an old Cheny Norton frame, the back bone would need to be split and wrap around the blower. There no doubt is a reason that the blower manifold is so long, I guess to straighten out the run. It could be done and even if it wasn't "fast" it would be a hoot to stage.

I probably shouldn't mention this but the *Gimp and I may be getting a little long in the tooth for the crashing part of this equation.

* @gimpyshotrods

@Truckedup where do you suppose this would fall in pushrod class in the ECTA? :D

29. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

that thing is pretty cool... but it's not going to be well balanced. a 90 v-twin is perfectly balanced if it has seperate crank throws... this one looks like it shares one the same as it would in the V8.... guys ran V-4 midget engines for quite a while but they had the same issue of balance....

there is a huge indoor midget race every year in tulsa.. only a couple of engine rules... have to run their alchy and you cant run a V8... wonder how light a turbocharged motor you could build that gets you 400hp reliably.....

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If that is the one from the KB2 bike. It was a rear engine streamliner bike. No back bone interference.