Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Something besides fender welting...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Getting ready to put the front end of the Nash back together. Don't want to use the welting that was there before.

What other things have you guys used? Was thinking maybe cutting up some inner tubes for a thin layer of rubber. Might be hard to cut tho. Maybe something from Menards....

2. aaggie

aaggie

The welting serves a purpose, mostly to prevent squeaks. Without the welt water will collect between the parts and rust away. If you did use something like thin rubber glass bedding tape it would still leave a gap. I have never ever seen flanges so perfect that they would clamp together without a wavy gap.

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

The fit and finish aren't really good enough to not use the regular style fender welt (also sometimes called gimp?). My suggestion is to not try and reinvent the wheel (so to speak), and install the correct stuff.

4. Or use the black felt that goes under asphalt roofing.

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

Years ago I build a 29 model full fendered pickup and I used 3/32 clear Mylar cut into 2" strips. Didn't wick, served the purpose and you could not see it.

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We got the upholstery guru to sew up some vinyl that matched the body colour with a small plastic tube in the seam to give it some bulk.

7. I used the vinyl beading I cut off some van seats. The stuff they use to seam the panels together. Worked very well. fall hot rod pics 032.jpg

8. ...go to a 2nd hand or thrift store and buy an old purse or 2, some are big, cut strips as needed from the purse or straps....old serpentine fan belts also work in some instances if it's a strate run.

9. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

I used closed cell rubber foam that you can get by the foot from Restoration Specialties. The stuff I used was about 1/8" thick, but compresses to fill gaps. I think it only comes in black, but my car is black, so it worked great for me. Being "closed cell" is important as it doesn't hold moisture. I think it works better than the original welting, and I like the clean look better.