Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Supercharger idea for my flathead..

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Talkwrench, Jun 22, 2015.

1. This is an SC14 Supercharger off a Toyota Supra [2lt] its 1420cc. OK OK I know its not a Frenzel, or McColloch but I have used one before as part of a kit that retro-fits to our Holden 6 cylinders, it was under my bench so thought I would see how it would go.
    Roughly looking at it I can pick up a mount of the alternator bracket and also make a mount off one of the intake manifold studs, the other side also possibly off the water pump bolt exhaust manifold or even a head stud?? I do have a few tensioners I could try squeeze in for the belt.
    because of the rotation the top is the outlet so that would seem quite simple a few bends and straight in...But the big problem will be the intake, see that last pic, its underneath, so what do I do ? I was thinking an SU carb but how to mount and the heat?? Maybe a blow through might be better.
    They do make an adapter for a 350Holley but again because of the rotation its on the outlet side in this situation? The inlet and outlet on it doesn't interchange tho' the inlet I think I can reverse but not that it would help either.. Perhaps one of those offset alternator brackets might put it in a better position?
    Well its just an idea

Attached Files:

• SC1.jpg
      SC1.jpg
      File size:
      9.8 KB
      Views:
    • SC2.jpg
      SC2.jpg
      File size:
      8.5 KB
      Views:
    • SC3.jpg
      SC3.jpg
      File size:
      9.3 KB
      Views:
    • SC4.jpg
      SC4.jpg
      File size:
      9.2 KB
      Views:
    LKR and dos zetas like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Would help if you could figure out how to post some larger pictures?

3. How about mounting it vertically with the intake and outlet on sides then just make a 90degree inlet for carb of your choice and 90 degree outlet to manifold looks easy enough to me....

4. Aww bugger those pics are small, sorry not sure why they are like that.. ?
    If I tip it up then the mounting is it the top, making it a difficult task to mount .

5. This may help but the quality is bad

Attached Files:

6. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Mate if you haven't already done so you might want to have a chat to Flat head Ben Foster in Perth (owner of ferret boilermakers) and Crankster member.

Ben has 2 supercharged flatheads 1 on the road and one in his drag coupe - pretty sure the road version is a totota blower. Mounted differently to yours but would be worth talking too. He is a pretty cool guy and knows his stuff

7. I have 2 of those little blowers:)

You can make a inlet and outlet to any comfiguration easy enough. image.jpg
    Totally off topic but shows some creative routing to get it done

Also can make a longer drive snout but that's a bit more involved.
    image.jpg

Blower over the intake manifold is the easiest way though.
    That intake manifold happens to be off the side here as is the Holden 6.

Yours is in the center, and probably will be best there

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  8. I have had a chat with Ben , however he is far too busy to get real info out of him, he said they never got it running right...?? I know the setup he has [road] and it has two SU carbs feeding it, I think if they spent more time on it would be fine.. BUT like anything if you modify something they will be a trade off somewhere..
    My first mistake , the motor turns clockwise, so in and out is reversed now so I could get a carb on top.

9. Great stuff . Don't know why someone isn't knocking up a simple kit like that, just supply your own M90 or SC14.. I like the way he just machined the holes and whacked a carb on the front..

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Does the SC14 Supercharger have an electric clutch? I have I think a smaller [real small, about 4" long rotors] version that has an electric clutch.

11. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

This is an interesting set up.

Gary
    big blown flathead 3 dueces_zpsflalod6o.jpg

12. Yes they do, you can do away with the electric clutch with some machining. there is an SC12, usually has a yellow dipstick on it. That's an interesting setup...

13. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

[​IMG]

Here is a pick of mine - it is still a few weeks off running yet and not a Toyota but if you need machining done in Perth and can't do it yourself this is a good example of the work from Phil Pavasich at Magic Metals in Malaga does. Phil usually only does this type of work on a Saturday (makes wrought iron during the week). So if you are looking for a blower drive or want the top of your blower machined to take carbies direct then that is certainly something he can do.

He machined the blower intake, carby mounts, rear housing, made the blower drive from an eaton unit, made the pullies, set up the oiling system, adapted the inlet manifold to take the blower intake and a whole heap of other bits and bobs.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    LKR, kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  14. I thought of Phil.. Holy shit that's the bomb!! I cant wait to see that when your up and running, whats it going in?

15. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Yep thanks for that I am very pleased with how it is shaping up and really grateful to Phil for all his work on it, I certainly couldn't have done it without him.

It going in a steel 32 ford closed cab pickup but it is a long term project. Chassis has just been through 1st inspection and now working towards second inspection which I am hoping to get done later this year or early 2016

16. Are you going to be able to spin the alternator up with that larger pulley? Ive just put a smaller one on mine a 3" one so I can finally get the charge light off at idle..

17. I was getting dizzy looking at it so I fixed the rotation.
    Seems the blower pulley is rather large so it wont be much boost & not much wrap to prevent slipping.

Be sure to update how that runs,

image.jpg

18. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

That is a 4-53 Detroit blower and will feed the flattie no problem I have run one of those on my 292 Chevy and it worked real good just gotta run oil through it and allow for drain back to engine very nice work there especially with the eaton drive just guessing it will probly build 3-4 lbs of boost with that drive ratio but that's just by eyeballing it

19. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Yep the pulley sizes on the blower and the alternator - might need attention after I get it running.

Although there is not much wrap on the pullies I am crossing my fingers that because it is a wider B belt that it will have enough surface area on it to hold it. If not I will go to a double belt but I was trying to avoid that if I could. Top pulley is presently the same size as the original eaton pulley so I am just using it as a starting point. I think you are right about the alternator pulley - either a smaller pulley required or an alternator that puts out charge at low revs might be the go.

20. Really?
    Must be camera trickery and optical illusions
    image.jpg

21. You are going to need smaller pullies.. I think it will run just fine with the 5/8 belt. I was getting 8 lbs boost with a standard v belt on a holden 6.

22. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I always wanted to build a Potvin style setup with a flathead. With the reverse rotation and flow of some of these new blowers( as well as looks). A front mount could fix some of the problems

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!