Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wish bone stuck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Jun 24, 2015.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I bought a 37 axle and have been soaking the pin that holds the bones on for a couple of months. It still doesn't want to come out for me. Is it tapered? Will I be able to BFH it or is a press required? thanks , 75 years of rust is kicking my butt.

2. You might succeed with a BFH, you might need a press. Put a nut on the end of the threads before you do anything, otherwise you might mushroom the threaded end and then you'll really have fun.
    The kingpin isn't tapered to the best of my knowledge.

You might try some heat to help break them apart. Use a torch to heat up the kingpin. Heat will cause it to expand slightly and break the bond that forms from the rust. I used a torch and a candle and then a BFH to get one kingpin out, the other required a press.

3. Damn, Joe....you should be able to talk it out! I've had to use a LOT of heat and a bfh on some.
    BTW, was good seeing you at the drags last Friday . And Dave too.

4. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I have used a hand held propane torch on many and had good success. Also try a air hammer with a pointed bit so you don't mushroom the end.

5. Drag out the old fire wrench and heat those pins up,and use a BFH and it will amaze you how easy they will come out. HRP

6. There is a video on Fordbarn of Vern Tardel showing how he does it.

7. Carter

Carter

I have gotten some unbelievably rusty perch bolts out, ones that the nuts had mostly rusted off of, that I had to weld a 3/4 nut to what was left of the original perch nut to remove it. I spray them at the top and bottom with penetrating oil of one variety or another for a few days or a week ahead of time if possible. Then I'll flip the assembly upside down, threads up, place a Jack stand under the axle right next to the perch bolt, and use a rounded end bit in a good air hammer right in the divot at the threaded end of the perch bolt. I've had to use a little heat a few times, but not much and not many times. Sometimes it will mushroom the threads a tiny bit, but nothing a split die or axle rethreader won't clean up easily. I haven't had one that wouldn't come out that way, and I haven't damaged threads beyond simple repair either. The last pair I did, a good friend of mine couldn't get apart, and kept saying there's no way you could get these out. He finally brought them over and I had them out in less than half an hour. Didn't do much damage to the threads either, but one had rusted so bad that the threads were eaten away by rust.

8. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Ok ,I'll try again tomorrow ,I though if I soaked them long enough , thanks fellas

Good to see you also Rocky !!!

9. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Get out your 3/8 dia. drift. Drill hole well into the perch bolt, put the drift in the hole, and then lots of BFH. Doubt you want to reuse the perch bolts anyway.

10. Carter

Carter

In my experience, a BFH will only do damage, you need the vibration from a good air hammer, maybe a little heat, and a little patience.

11. I had one that was rusted solid and would not come out no matter what I tried. After months of soaking, hot wrenching, air hammer and pressing, I had to slide a hack saw blade in between the wishbone and axle and cut it loose. Then the remnants still would not come out so I had to drill out the rest left in the axle. Maybe soaking it in acid might help.

12. Crankhole

Crankhole

There are obviously different degrees of "stuck" but I was able to get them out by soaking them with PB Blaster and heating the axle boss around the perch pin with my small bottle of MAPP gas. Then I took a large pipe wrench to the top of the perch and was able to twist them. Once the rust seal was broken, I was able to persuade them out with a hammer.

13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Thanks again fellas , lots of ideas.

14. Andy

Andy