Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Galaxie 2-door HT roof...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Puck1781, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Puck1781

Puck1781

I'm restoring a '62 Galaxie 500 XL 2-Door HT, but the roof is in pretty bad shape. I found a parts car, but it's a 4-door...I know I can only use a few parts off the body, but would I be able to use the roof if I cut it at the A and B pillars and along where the body meets the roof?

2. khead47

khead47

For all the work involved, how about looking for a 1963 1/2 fastback roof ?

3. town sedan

town sedan

I would think there'd be a lot of slicing, dicing and splicing to use a sedan roof on a hardtop car. Hold out for another donor roof. Texas is a big place, there is a roof waiting for you. -Dave

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Depends what is wrong with the roof. You may be able to use parts of the 4 door roof to patch it or, if the whole roof is caved in, cut around the edge leaving 2 or 3 inches and weld the 4 door roof panel on.

I doubt the roofs are identical but strange things have been done. I am basing my answer on the contours being the same but the 4 door roof longer.

You will have to measure and find out how close they are.

5. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you would cut out the roof sheet metal panel they are interchangeable. This is true for all closed 62-63 Galaxies excepting the wagons and 63 Fastback. Do not know for certain but it may be possible the A/C pillars also all have the same cross section. For what it is worth the front and back glass is also the same.

6. Puck1781

Puck1781

It's rusted through above the windshield, but thankfully the trim is still good. Think I could just cut the pillars and the front of the roof and burn it in? I only ask about a 4-door because they're obviously more available than the 2-DHT's.

7. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on your skills. But the bottom line; 2 door, 4 door, hardtop, sedan, all use the same stamped roof panel, so yes it will definitely fit. And since the windshields are also all the same the structure across the top of the windshield is also probably the same but for sure I do not know. I'd go with a 4 door . . .

8. Puck1781

Puck1781

Sweet. Thanks, everyone, for the info.