Register now to get rid of these ads!

Double Eagle Dragstrip SanAntonio 1967

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Herdez, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Wow, he's got those puppies in stock!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Anyone here remember this Plymouth that ran at Double Eagle?
    [​IMG]

3. PoorRedTrash

PoorRedTrash

I was running this 57 in D/HR during the mid 60's and found a few pics to share. I think anyone that was around in the 60's will remember these cars. I was also a friend of Biff Jones. He and I both had polio thus the reason for the brace he wore. I built the first set of headers for his truck. It was an impressive street rod with that L88 427. Scan0011C.jpg Scan0013C.jpg Scan0007C.jpg Scan0017C.jpg Scan0014C.jpg Scan0016C.jpg Scan0001C.jpg Scan0002C.jpg Scan0012C.jpg

4. elgringo71

elgringo71

Very cool pictures!!! I've got to know more about the Willys. Who did it belong to? What motor and transmission did it have and what else do you remember about it?

chryslerfan55 and Jim Salling like this.
  5. Jim Salling

Jim Salling

Great pictures, Don! PRT and I were good friends in those days and I remember him working on Biff's headers in their garage off of Broadway. Biff's truck was awesome as was the Poor Red Trash '57.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. elgringo71

elgringo71

@PoorRedTrash
    That 56 looks like Hands Hartkoph's car. I had to take another look at the pictures. Those are some great shots

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. PoorRedTrash

PoorRedTrash

The white 56 is Hartkoph's car and that is him on the passenger side fender. I raced against him in the little eliminator class, needless to say he usually cleaned my clock. His 265?? would sure turn up the RPM's. I bet it was 10K+

Jim Salling likes this.
  8. elgringo71

elgringo71

There is no doubt that his car was a high winding handful. He was quite a character

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

He died at only 35 years of age! Pituitary "giantism" basically lead to his early death. I did a Google search on him to find that out, and it gives credit to his NHRA Championship in 1961 on his gravestone! Also has his nickname "Hands". Looking at the photos of his 56 Chevrolet, I think it's a 150 or 210 sedan, that he modified with Bel Air side trim; or he removed the trim from the roofline over the side windows. His business partner had a 55 Sedan Delivery that after it's days as a drag car was converted into a 2 door Station Wagon; seems like a LOT of work when a Wagon back then would have been very easy and cheap to find. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

chryslerfan55 and elgringo71 like this.
  10. glrbird

glrbird

That business partner might have been his half brother Butch Lake. I think he is still racing a pro mod.

elgringo71 likes this.
  11. glrbird

glrbird

Here is one I took in 1966 at Double Eagle. I have a few others somewhere, getting old ain't for sissies!
    bonner003.jpg

chryslerfan55, elgringo71 and Crease like this.
  12. grouchyroan

grouchyroan

yeah roy is my best friend still living at canyone lake, bobby was the fighter and he's gone now, i remember the big deal and the flyer, or copies, show up at different sites, don't remember who came out on top but that was the augie was hands, wont even attempt to spell his name, started with h, i raced first time at double eagle in 1959 in an old 4dr 51 studebaker, got the wooden block trophy sitting here in my living room.

elgringo71 and loudbang like this.
  13. grouchyroan

grouchyroan

i used to see biff in the truck when it looked completely stock, i assume it was the same truck, we all hung out at tunie's drive in on bandera rd and i would see him drive through once in a while, i did hear that someone had put an automatic in it at the time. i didn't see him or the truck for a while because of different events. can't remember the time span but next time i saw the truck it was definitely different.

14. glrbird

glrbird

August "Hands" Hartkoff, half brother to Butch Lake. Biff' truck is still around and owned by a guy inBandera I think.

15. roger @ american rv

roger @ american rv

Yes I live in Pipe Creek actually.

16. roger @ american rv

roger @ american rv

Attached Files:

17. Joe Rosales

Joe Rosales

18. elgringo71

elgringo71