Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** June 2015 Banger Meet - Cruising Time ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

This is some great info on Wico mags that I never knew. Makes sense that they work that way. I know some Brass era Car and air plane mags had impulse drives but didn't realize the later Model a ones still had it. I will have to look a little closer at the Wico unit I have.

2. It would seem the F S would put out a "hot" enough spark. Don

3. 'T know that much about the lion head only hat I've read in advertisements. It would seem that if your timing is maxed out and you still have rich condition might be carburation. Or maybe the combustion chamber is just not efficient. Have you tried different spark plugs?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  4. Actually the Wico mags were adapted to model A B industrial and agricultural engines

5. Meant farm equipment engines but it was a short move to street use. My experience is mainly with the 1500 series.

6. noboD

noboD

Big Jim, why would it use more gas?

7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am not sure what model Wico mag I have but I believe it came off of a Gleaner (sp) combine. I will have to take a closer look and see what model number it is. I found several parts for one in the stack of A stuff my Dad had. I found that mag, A governor that runs off of the timing gear and an odd exhaust manifold. There is also a strange radiator that has a different outlet and inlet in the bunch. I believe Dad and Gramps must have picked all that stuff up back in the '60s. I always remember Dad talking about the combine motor he traded to a buddy and how well it ran when it was eventually put into a car. I always thought that the governor would make for a great mag drive for an OHV engine with some modifying.

8. Steve, I've been running my Scintilla mag since installation in early june '09 - not as a daily driver, but as often as I have been able. ;)
    I too like it, like Kjell Elias comment, for it's simple installation, and from advice from an old origi-head, I've always got a spare in the car- they CAN run flat (in the magnets, I've been told?, especially when hot).
    John, is it possible to run the Scintilla VW version without modifications? Have been told, the Scintilla has mechanical advance, which might have to be reversed - if possible. Have you tried this?
    Scintillas off of the G28T are getting harder to find, where as the VW-folks usually don't like them, so tear them off their industrial engines - now, if they can be used with no to little modification...? :D

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Vertex/Scintilla mags have several differing starting or impulse modes. Mine are all Joe Hunt built with a much hotter coil installed. The 2ltr BMW idles at 650rpm and will run up to a nose bleed 7000

Doug fuel usage due to the all or nothing advance ..... no curve means you have your foot in it more to get up to speed. At least that's my thought

10. If anyone wants to see pictures of a automatic gearbox on the back of a Model A engine I have just posted a few on my build thread "Aussie 1929 RPU from scrap"

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok , dumb me cant find your build page .

12. Carter

Carter

Hoping some of you guys may be able to help me out with some questions I have. Does anyone know the dimensions of the valves originally used in the Miller Schofield /Cragar heads? Curious as to head diameter, stem diameter, OAL. Trying to find some missing pieces to complete my early Cragar, so if anyone has any extra parts, I'd certainly be interested in them as well. Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Dave

Edit : when I say early Cragar, I mean it's not the improved cross flow version. Not sure on the actual production date of the head, only that it's iron, and has the Miller Schofield type valve cover but with no names or words cast in.

13. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Try SI valves....... quality stainless and nice guys

SI Valves

15. I can look tonight, somewhere I have the drawings of the original MS.
    I would guess 1.75 with .341 stems. Not exactly the "ideal" performance design.

J

16. Carter

Carter

Thanks, will keep their info handy if I need it.

That's exactly what I thought they were. What would you suggest as far as an improvement?

Thanks

17. There is not much that can be done with that head if you are serious about racing it.
    Serious racing requires much more than just modifying this head, especially if it is a two port.
    If you are building a street driven rod, use the head as supplied. My street car will be the same or my recently retired race motor with a compression adjustment.

J

18. Carter

Carter

Thanks for the info, I appreciate you guys who have been at this for a while answering questions for those of us a bit newer to the game. I won't be doing any racing with this head, not in a modern serious way, anyhow. I do understand the breathing limitations of this head design and was doubtful an increase in valve size would provide enough benefit to be worthwhile.

Thanks again.

Dave

19. noboD

noboD

Thank you Mr. Bluto. I wasn't thinking about having to compensate with the peddle.

20. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Just to Remind everybody, this coming Sunday is the 45th annual Antique Nationals.
    Image (20).jpg

ROCKER77 and Crazydaddyo like this.
  21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

image.jpg image.jpg The Speedster Reunion got underway last night at the Speedway Motors Museum. Here are some pix

ROCKER77, ebtm3 and waxhead like this.
  22. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

You have all the cool stuff! If you get the ohv together by fall bring it to jaloporama. Would love to hear a ohv in person.

23. ebtm3

ebtm3

The Speedster Reunion got underway last night at the Speedway Motors Museum.

Dennis, thats a great crewcab on the AA. What engine and driveline (ratio) are you running?

Herb

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I love the truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow , how cool

25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The truck was built by Ron Kelly, the engine builder in Texas. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1435274795.173395.jpg

Attached Files:

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

wow , tilt bed . makes it that much cooler ............... steve

27. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1435290545.837719.jpg
    Looking for info on the flying A

Thanks Bill

waxhead likes this.
  28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Repop Winfield head from the guy in Rosemead, Ca.
    Name escapes me now.

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here it is. If you call him and give him the numbers on the head, he should be able to tell you more about it.

Specialty Ford Parts 9103 Garvey Ave. Rosemead CA
    Phone: (626)288-3311

BCCHOPIT likes this.
  30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

he is very hard to get ahold of . just keep trying ......

BCCHOPIT likes this.