Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How do I give an aluminum firewall a cool retro look...cheap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by okeesignguy, Jun 22, 2015.

1. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

My coupe has a pretty cool aluminum firewall that I am sure looked much nicer years ago...
    I am thinking about doing "something" with it but am not sure what...I am looking for ideas...
    It looks as tho it can be removed fairly easily and laid flat on a table etc...
    I know that a jitterbug type sander will make tiny "circles" and I kinda like the "engine turned" look too...

Any ideas...???
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. pitman

pitman

Just playin' w/the idea of tinted plexi, darkens it.
    Large surface, tough call, engine turning can look busy.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've played with doing that to my T Bucket. When I do it, I'll just let the scratches and weathering be part of her story. Looks good in the pics and so does the rest of the car.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

5. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

6. I say leave it and do a thin yellow pinstripe 1/2"-1" from the edge all the way around. small change but not cluttered and clean.

Jet96 and patmanta like this.
  7. mj40's

mj40's

Ruff it up and paint it white.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    LOU WELLS, da34guy and turboroadster like this.
  8. twinsemi

twinsemi
    from Soquel, CA

If you are concerned about it weathering and such, why not take it off and have it anodized? Clear or tinted. It will keep its looks as long as anything and is harder than the original aluminum.

9. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the way your firewall looks as is!

10. Drive'em

Drive'em

I'm thinking after hearing the suggestions, just leave it alone, looks fine as is.

11. Kc1

Kc1

Look up "circurar patterns-swirls on metal" on you tube, I think that would look awesome!!

12. I like engine turning, but that big of an area will look busy. Maybe work out a design and only do part of the piece, not sure how to mask off an area to get straight lines though.

13. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Take it out and throw it out in the street and then drive over it.

tfeverfred, mike bowling, X38 and 2 others like this.
  14. If you are going to run those front guards,get them down closer to the tyres,that would be a huge improvement,otherwise the car looks good as is. IMHO.

15. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Maybe I didn't make it clear that this is an older pic and it isn't as nice any more...
    It's dark outside right now or I would go take a more currant pic...
    It has blemishes here and there and an area where someone tried to clean it and scratched it up...

A few good suggestions here...still not sure what to do about it...
    As far as those fenders being high...taller front tires are part of the plan so they will more than likely stay :)

16. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

You know...I agree with the comments about it getting too busy....that isn't what I like either...
    I DO like the aluminum but no longer want the shiny because I am going in a different direction now with this car and also the piece just isn't in the condition it used to be...

SO...I got thinking about the acid wash idea and kinda like that :)
    I haven't looked at much yet but I did run into a video of a guy using a boat product called "Sharkhide"...
    The video is long and he is a little long winded for a morning before work but I kinda jumped thru it and I gotta say that I do like the look...here's a link...

17. prpmmp

prpmmp

A good winter project would to put a stock firewall in!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Before and after. Pete

volvobrynk, Jet96, Ryan and 1 other person like this.
  18. ^^^^That looks sooo much better^^^

19. Mothers used to make an Alum. polish that was some kind of chemical on Cotton and came in a jar. It would litterly wipe away the oxidation. It worked grate on Wheels and Motorcycles. On your car I think I'd just buff it up and walk away.
    The Wizzard

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

NEVR-DULL
    Find it at sporting goods stores.
    Very mild cleaning action, litely polishes tarnished aluminum.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Mine had battle scars here and there and isn't removable. I hit it with a DA and 80 grit.

22. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Mothers & elbow!!

23. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You want cool and retro?? paint it to look like a part of a street or building sign

24. How about pulling it,punch some louvers,paint it off white and do some pin stripe work on it. HRP

volvobrynk and Jet96 like this.
  25. LOL yep ^^^ a Yield sign would be perfect. ;)

I think if I wanted to go fancy engine turned would do it for me, of if I wanted it to look like I rescued and old race car then tarnish would do it.

tarnish is easy, wrap it up in some oily tote sack and bury it in the dirt for a while, if it doesn't rain where you are soak the dirt with water every day or two. We used to do that with aluminum crank cases that got repaired and needed to look old.

That said your car is too nice for an stained ugly firewall so paint or engine turned would probably be my tack on it. I would avoid the orbital sander that is pretty '90s.

Oh and one other thing, from one Chevy guy to a guy who owns a Chevy powered Ford loose that silly bow tie. If you must do anything along those lines find a little decal that says, "Powered by Chevy" Go retro '60s baby. ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Stock '31 Chev firewall is pretty, and they're around...

IF you consider 'engine turning', larger swirls would make the firewall look more in proportion than small. (1.5" circles overlapped 30%, look at pics of the "Spirit of St. Louis" (Lindberg's Ryan airplane he flew from New Your to Paris) Entire cowling was engine turned.

My '55 F100 dash was hammer-vandalized when I got it, so I made an aluminum cover for it, all the way across. I had made a panel for S/W gauges and engine turned it, 5/8" swirls.
    The massive size of the main dash dictated some kind of larger swirls, so I used 1" circular wire brush over a grid my wife drew...moving the dash along a clamped angle iron 'straight edge', she followed the pattern just perfect.
    She worked from 5:30 PM to around 11:eek:o, so I took her to Original Joe's for a midnight dinner.
    Wish I could post a pic, BTW...the aluminum I used was an old discarded Calif road sign: "Max speed 55 MPH"... Can't drive 55...

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. @Atwater Mike I once made a sand board out of an old wood Yield sign I found near Half Moon Bay. It wouldn't have made a good dash board or firewall but it was one helluva sand board. I gave it to a little kid and told him to be careful about the undertow when I was done playing with it.

Funny how those old signs just get discarded. ;)

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say paint it black and put some naked ladies on it.

tfeverfred and volvobrynk like this.
  29. LOL leave it as it is in my driveway with some naked ladies in it. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Clean it up and polish as best you can. The scratches and wear are part of the history of the car.