Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Your Daily Driver - HAMB ERA Daily driver that is

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Jun 20, 2015.

1. My avatar has been my daily for nearly three years, but no side windows, and no heat is wearing me down. :(

2. My daily for 4 years and over 30,000 miles now.

Attached Files:

3. flathead Cadillac motor

4. The scooter is my legitimate daily. the only other vehicle I own is the Willys behind it and it is not road worthy today, although it is for sale. ;)

My wife owns a late model pickup, I try to drive it a couple of times a year so that I know what is going on with it, it is her daily.

I don't feel the need to qualify it but just so that everyone knows that while I am not proud of the fact, I do not own much and with me what you see is what you get.

Cosmo49 and Tony like this.
  5. manyolcars

manyolcars

You are probably right. I have a 39 Ford pickup that I have driven daily for 17 years and I drive my avatar as often as possible. I also drive the 59 Ford, the 57 chevy and the 50 Crestliner. My newest car is a 1966 but I prefer cars from the 30s and 50s, so I only drive the 66 once or twice a year

6. Kick/electric, last year and only that particular model. I seldom use the kicker but I have to try once in a while just prove that I still can. :D

lothiandon1940 and Bulletnose26 like this.
  7. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

beaner it's not about what you have, its about being happy with who you are. I have only been here for 2 1/2 years, but you are a bundle of info, and willing to share it. Another thing in life I have learned (40 years of learning), you don't have to qualify yourself to anyone. Take me as I am or don't at all.

Back on subject, I am working on a truck, when done it will be driven every day that there is not salt on the road.

8. squirrel

squirrel

yup....

30dodgeboy likes this.
  9. LOL I learned a long time ago that all I am really good at is being me. A few times in life I didn't really like me that well but I am in good company I don't really like most people. :D

I am actually thinking about making major changes to my Willys, even with the brakes fixed ( which is what is making it not a daily today) it is not anything one would want to ride very long in on the highway( 5.14 gears :eek: ). The missus says that I am getting a little long in the tooth to ride in the ice and snow, she may be correct about that.

Anyway if no one buys the willys before the end of august I am going to make the little truck into a mud bogger with slicks, or a "gasser" if you prefer. :D :D Of course it will have to have summer and winter tires. ;)

Phillips and redlineracer42 like this.
  10. Great I will look ya up and say hey...

11. I always said when I'm to old to kick it I'm to old to ride it...It is a pain in the ass sometimes as it has to show me "what for" on occasion by being hard to start (usually when some hottie is with me) and/or spitting out the advance springs( I carry a complete spare adv. mechanism) when I am on some backroad between here and Galena.... BUT overall it has been a great bike (with my mods) over the 30 + years we been together... Wutapair! 002.JPG

Tony likes this.
  12. I learned the exact same thing many moons ago Beaner! Also...my circle of friends is very small as I do not like phony people as most seem to be...I have done things I regret as well but I also NEVER worry about things I cant change and try to live by that...and Ignorance is bliss and I'm one blissfull s.o.b.

13. WHat year, cubes?

14. Clik

Clik

I wonder how many are like me? Ya buy a $40,000 OT pickup truck to avoid driving your $15,000 HAMB friendly car in the salt and snow. Ain't that sick? Realizing this economic stupidity I bought a $5000 HAMB era panel truck so that I'd have an old daily that I could sacrifice to the salt demons, but now I can't even bear to do that. I guess I'm gonna have to step down to a $500 more-door before I can bear to use an old car as a daily.

lothiandon1940 and blowby like this.
  15. Clik

Clik

All that money for a "UGO"?

16. I agree! I would rather drive old iron...I need to get air in my Stude....it has a faceplated TKO 600 with .64-1 od I eventually am going to build a bit tamer sbc for summer cruising and build a 414 with enough steam to put "SINISTER1" in the 10.00 range....trying to street drive a 10.00 pumpgas sbc a lot, is just hard on everything!!!

17. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

I've been using our 49 PU as a daily ever since I got laid off back in 2003. Looks like crap but it has 77 GMC front saddle PS, PB, warmed over 283/T350 3:40 "78 rear. IMG_1583.JPG

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! MY EYES MY EYES!!!! OH THE HORROR!!!!!

dan c likes this.
  19. THIS!

20. F&J

F&J

Seems like I upset some viewers here.. :)

I used my definition of a "daily driver" as what you have for a primary car. If you only have vintage cars, and don't have access to a semi-modern vehicle that is "unoticable", your lifestyle changes:

- how about leaving your vintage collector car in the following places.. talk about not being able to relax..

-Christmas shopping at a huge mall at night

--hunting or fishing a mile in the woods for a half day with the car sitting on a desolate road

-being at a county fair at night for hours, car in a remote parking lot. I still recall being at the top of the Ferris Wheel, trying to see if my damn car was still there

-leaving the car at an airport remote long term lot for a week. or..The airport is an hour away, so find someone who can drop you off and pick you up..

oh, and when your friends bitch at you for not seeing them waving from in their modern car.. sure, they can spot you a half a mile away, but expect me to stare at every driver's face that comes past me?

After 20 years of this, and much more, I think I'm ready for a 10 year old "backup" car
    Yes, I still prefer driving vintage cars, but...

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. Tony

Tony

F&J,
    You didnt upset me, just didnt like being lumped into the bull shit category when the fact is, for me, that although i do have more modern vehicles (newest is 02), the one i grab the keys for every day during the non salt time of year is my old truck regardless of where im going. So, it is driven daily.
    Even grocery shopping, restaurants etc.
    Unfortunately i dont even have a place to put it inside at night so it even sits in the driveway when im home.
    That being said, i can understand your definition and what you were getting at.
    Like you i've been doing this 20 plus years, and also will say it is nice having the 02 GMC sitting for when i may not feel like driving the 52. :)

Tony

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  22. F&J

F&J

Tony, this might hit home to a guy who drives oldies...: About 4 years ago, my leg swelled up, so I thought maybe a blood clot and risking a stroke... so I drive to the "better" hospital Emergency Room several towns away. The Physicians Assistant taking down my info, says "oh, I know where you live, I see that car all around" :) wth

Fender1325 likes this.
  23. Tony

Tony

Oh man it sure does! It happens quite a bit.
    I get the "i see that thing all over the place"
    I've had non car people approach me asking if its all i own because they see it out so often. Lol
    There is NO such thing as incognito in the stuff we drive. :)

Fender1325 likes this.
  24. F&J

F&J

Ok, last one before I get too O/T...

...I'm loading groceries in the car, a very upscale elderly lady in a new Caddy SUV next to me says; "Is that a Nash?"..

I later told an older guy what she said. He told me I missed my chance.. ?... He said "she must remember that Nash cars had seats that folded to a bed..."o_O :rolleyes:

kiwijeff, Tony and Fender1325 like this.
  25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I bet I see 100,000 cars in my daily 16 mile commute. usually my 1992 GMC is the oldest vehicle out there. nobody drives old cars on highway 880 during commute hours in the Bay Area unless they have to.

26. Zandoz

Zandoz

My daily driver is a 20 year old 70k miles Cougar. For what it is, an OK car...but I wish I had not thought my wife was kidding when she pushed for me to buy a '54 Plymouth she found on the bay just before we bought the Cougar. Turns out she wasn't kidding.

27. RACE ROD

RACE ROD

Heres mine 58 Chevy Sedan Delivery

Attached Files:

28. Fender1325

Fender1325

I'll bet a lot of you guys get rid of the standard points in the distributor or you must stock up on them!

29. F&J

F&J

Mine all have points. I maybe have bought one new set in 15-20 years, at a swap or tag sale. I have used ones if I need a set, just file them and good to go. I only drive 5k-10k a year or less.

my daily has a generator, and it started up a little slow at the store a few months ago, so I figured the 8 year old battery was going bad. Nope, it was the generator, one brush was worn down so the spring could not push it any deeper. I put a good used brush in, without removing the generator. I had no idea the idiot light was not working...duh, idiot lights are not idiot proof :)

Still have that battery, and still can't find a spare wheel to fit the car, so no sense in buying a jack. I can't call Triple A, as I don't belong, but I don't own a cell anyways :(