Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big o'l Mallory brass condensers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppedsled, Jun 19, 2015.

1. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

The brass condenser on my Mallory YC finally gave out. I'm looking for a replacement, but they are tough to find in usable condition. Is there a replacement available with the same mdfs rating? The Mallory is .36 and I've been told a condenser is a condenser, is a condenser, but I've also been told I need between .35 - .40 for my unit. I ran into Bubba's older post and it seems to confirm I can't just grab something off the shelf. Input / advice.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434768479.534170.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Weird. I have a cheap part store replacement (stock replacement for a 1960s GM V8) on the old Mallory in my car, and it will go 134 mph in the quarter mile, so maybe it runs ok. And I've put 4000 miles on the (old used) points, and it still runs fine.

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Only if your lucky to find the big old cool looking ones,but I've failed that hunt a few times, so Mallory still dose make a smaller brass one rated at .28mfd/600v #400, it seems to work ok for me. Wish they made the big ones again,they just looked cool as hell an did work very fine

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I''l have one of those big old condensers in my booth at the Spokane swap meet next month. Booth 1920 right by the rear entrance if you can wait that long. I've used the new Mallory condensers with old YC dual points without a problem.

dana barlow likes this.

5. Why does the brass condenser crack ? every one has cracked within a year of use. I seal them with silicone sealer to prevent water from getting in them.

6. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I could chime in here. What is the best way to check these things? I have a problem with burned points in my four-lobe distributor. Thanks, Gene.

7. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Dirty Doug, if that things usable I'll PayPal you for it asap. I'll pm you.

I'm waiting on a couple sets of points to get here before I can slap it together. I'll try that Mallory .28 replacement just to see what it does. I believe the higher .36 rating on the old brass condenser helps with point life? My points looked near perfect after 3 years until the condenser gave up. And yes, it does show a fine split down the side now.

Bubba put this thing together for me several years ago and it's been flawless up until now.

8. F&J

F&J

1947 Motors Manual

DSCN0318 (Large).JPG

dana barlow likes this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mallory is history. Has been bought out by MSD and is being dismantled as we speak.

10. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Good stuff F&J. I should dig out my old motors manuals more often, interesting.

11. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just getting back to this thread. Thanks F&J.

12. I know that no one wants to hear this and I will say beyond a shadow of a doubt that Bubba is the man when it comes to ignition, but I'm going to say it anyway. I have run old Mallory distributers since they were not so old and while I could drop big coin on points and condensers from them I have had just as good lick with non-Mallory points and condensers. I still prefer blue streak platinum points, they are not expensive and are a drop in if you buy the ones for your distributer.

That said all the cool guys run those big ol trash can condensers and I happen to have one bolted to the outside of an old Mallory distributer. The guts in the distributer are not Mallory at all and I don't even need a condenser but I am leaving it there just so I can have "the look" :D

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

One of the tests that can be done to a condenser is to throw a charge on them using the resistance setting on a multimeter, then check it with the volt setting, it should show a charge and you should be able to see it drop as the multimeter drains the charge out of it

Anyone test condensers for microfarads? I have a dozen or so Mallory condensers in my stash, and have a sneaking suspicion that the one on my daily isn't quite right, since I just pulled some points that looked like the ones above.

14. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shaggy, thanks will try that.

15. fordrule

fordrule

i was told we can use napa points in the old mallories but still haven't found a condenser. is there a PN for one that people are using?