Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Quintessential Custom 1936 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

296ardun and Sancho like this.
  2. CadMad

CadMad

The stuff of dreams.
    It's 1 am I should be sleeping not
    dreaming. . . I mean sleeping and dreaming , heck you know what i mean. Add Narrow Lasalle grills. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I may have missed it in the list of parts, but it seems that he also ran Parkard headlights

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I agree. 35/36 roadster is the best car ford ever produced. Lowered, skirts, hollywood flippers and chopped.... I don't know if I would mess with it any more than that?

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

The only thing that I MIGHT do differently is a grill treatment.With a nose like that,it should be more streamlined....but then I used to own a Cord ;)

6. alchemy

alchemy

A local guy had a car of his father's that fit your description to a T. But he wanted to rebuild it to a more stock-bodied state. I was able to buy from him the Desoto bumpers, ribbed single flip hubcaps, finned heads, dual intake, chrome '40 column, vintage white and maroon upholstery skins, and a few other small parts. He kept the Packard grille to hang on his wall.

The car is now a gorgeous '36 Ford hot rod style roadster, but it lost all of it's uniqueness. A very sanitary flathead-powered car, but with a stock grille, hood, bumpers, and all the rest.

7. brady1929

brady1929

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Im on board with the list of mods, however I would keep the stock grille. I always thought the 36 grille was a pretty front end, and hard to improve on. I don't mind the Packard and Lasalle grille swaps, but I personally don't find them as attractive as the stock 36.

scotty t, bct and grifcarnut like this.
  9. Only one word required for my preferred custom style: Westergard

chopper99 and Movinman like this.
  10. froghawk

froghawk

The '35 & '36 Ford roadsters do make great customs and I'm on board with most of the listed mods, though I also prefer the stock '36 grill to the popular LaSalle and Packard swaps. However, Bob Hooper's "Dreamboat" from '58 (I think) is one of my all-time favorites.

[​IMG]

Inspired by the Hooper car when I started this model from the AMT kit, wound up backdating it a about a decade to the late '40s and pretty much following the formula. One day maybe I'll finish it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. I'll say this much, you make really good models and know how to photograph them!

12. JakesA

JakesA

Look forward to seeing where this leads. Really like the Westergard car, is that grille La Salle or Cadillac?
    interestingly three of the eight cars have blackwall tyres. Would I be right in thinking that blackwalls on customs were more prevalent prewar?

13. tony starr

tony starr

cut down folding top in white and down in the back...

[​IMG]

14. Karl Wescott

Karl Wescott

The Bob Hooper roadster was restored several years ago and has survived as a custom.

15. fatkoop

fatkoop

Tony Starr, that roadster is OUTSTANDING!! I like that the rumble seat is still there, and the side pipe treatment is very unusual but looks great on this car. Wow.

tony starr likes this.
  16. Swedeshoebox

Swedeshoebox
    from Sweden

Jive-Bomber, thanks. hope you will like my car when finished :D

I have some other "must have" on my list.
    Stock grill looks great!, but mine was in "bad" shape. First i try with a 1940 Lasalle. but i did not fall for that one. so now it´s a 1937 Lasalle grill on the project.....
    as for the bumpers a pair of 1939 Lincoln is my plan! did a test-fit and i´m very happy with the result!
    headlights is a hard thing! Chevrolet is a great option.
    Fenderskirts is a must have.
    also nice hubcaps, Flippers or Lyons!

I have the "car" (pile of parts) and some of the kustom-parts, but will it look good together?
    i promised to have my chassies on display this spring on Custom-Motorshow here in Sweden.
    but to show that i did have a plan not to build a stock or Streetrod i let Janne Kutja draw the car
    as i wanted it with the parts i have or plan to go with.

Janne sells skirts with the design as-well.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...traight-from-the-artist.971360/#post-10940777

Here is the plan!:D
    [​IMG]

17. Add me to the list that's torn between the stock grille and the LaSalles and Packards. I have a nice, standard grille for my '36 and a '38 LaSalle, but haven't decided which one's gonna make the final cut. I definitely prefer the donor grilles installed up into the hood area....they look weird down low.

Filled hood-sides always look early to me....so classy.

And Olds bumpers...kinda like this one, Mike Aahl roadster...

IMG_7165.jpg

18. I agree.

chopper99 likes this.
  19. 'Mo

'Mo

These recent pics by Moriarty remind me how much I love this one.
    In addition to the usual (Packard grille, Chevy headlights, etc.) there are many nice touches that set it apart, such as the Chevy hood vents, Hudson tail lights, etc. (Correction: PACKARD tail lights.)
    But it is the cut-down '49 windshield that distances this one from the field, and puts it in a class by itself. (Technically making it a cabriolet, rather than a roadster.)
    Easily my all-time favorite. (And completely owner-built, too!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    50Fraud, 36 ROKIT and Maverick Daddy like this.
  20. ^^^^^It's a beauty, all right. And "hats off" to the owner for his talents...

chopper99 likes this.
  21. striper

striper

The 36 grill is one of many parts that I think Ford got right. Hard to beat the look of it and I'm not a fan of changing it just so everyone knows it's a custom. If you are going to do it then it has to be an improvement. Swedeshoebox's plan just might fit the bill.

22. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Actually the taillights are also Packard, but thanks for all the favorable comments.

23. 'Mo

'Mo

Well deserved, chopper99.

24. 'Mo

'Mo

Another split-windshield cabriolet, I found this next one on another site.
    Maybe not "Quintessential", but a great profile.
    I think its originality deserves a HAMB viewing. Deck area is 1940 Ford.
    Top is functional.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015