Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saved a Studebaker Champion last night...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el Scotto, Feb 8, 2006.

1. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yeah, it was going to have an unglorious death by being sawzall'd into cubes, but I talked to the new home owners just in time. Sat in someone's backyard since 1968.

The roof is trashed, so it's next incarnation will probably be roofless, with a Porsche Speedster style window, and lowered about 4". Probably have time to play with it this Summer....

Anyone like these things, or know stuff about them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jetmek

jetmek

i salvaged a 53 a few years back. looked about like yours. what do ya need to know?

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Nice save...and it's a Studey...that's all you need to know...make a roadster out of it...NONE of them were ever made by Studey...find a Studey V8 (if it doesn't have an engine) and slam it on the ground...you'll be the envy of the red roadster crowd for showing your individualism.

R-

4. gasman

gasman
    from Nebraska

no need to cut that roof it could easily be saved.

5. jetmek

jetmek

the stock frame is like a wet noodle . you'd have to replace it if you whacked the roof. even with the top on it wouldnt hurt to beef it up a lot!

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't whack that roof just yet. It looks fretty fixable to me. And there is a dude on ebay sellin new back glass for 380 bucks, if you can't find one used.

Nice find and remember, there were less than 50 thousand coupes and hardtops made in 53 and 54 so please be gentle.

Here's an in progress shot of mine..I wasn't gentle.

-Abone.

[​IMG]

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Dig that rear bumper over-rider! If anyone has one they could cut loose with I'm interested. Thanks Jim

8. Doug F.

Doug F.

I hope I am not offending anyone you know, but how clueless would you need to be to saw up that car? Nice rescue!

9. Squablow

Squablow

I bet if you laid inside that car, with your back on the front seat and your feet on the roof, you could pop that roof right back to where it needs to be.

Better yet, get your girlfriend to lay in the car with her back on the front seat and her feet on the roof....

10. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Nice find. That roof *is* an easy fix but don't use the prevoius advice. You *never* push a dent out from the center. Start around the edges using the heel of your hand. If that dosen't move it (without hurting) use a rubber hammer. By the time you get to the center it will pop out & you'll have very little metal & bondo work to do to finish it out.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

I don't take shit; I don't give a shit. I'm not in the shit business.

11. ABone312

ABone312

12. Frank

Frank

I've always had a soft spot for convertibles. Here's a way to go. Stude never made these.

Attached Files:

13. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

I know nothing but I love them, is that enough?!

14. millerkustoms

millerkustoms

Why don't you tell them about that other sweet ride you scored the other day!

15. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

how bout i give you a grand and have it shipped to okla on my dime??

And if you want something really kool cut 22 inches out of it from the back of door jamb back and make a two seater roadster out of it , looks very much like a 57 t bird then and has great lines... I have had several in diff type builds from street rod to drag racer to bonneville look. great cars... :cool:

16. slo60

slo60

there is a really nice studey thats been at hot august nights im gonna check to see if i got any digital picts, i dont think i do... but -- from what i remember -- big block chevy and blower -- low stance (as low or lower then the one in primer above) and massive wheels and tubs... i thought it looked awesome-- let me try to find some picts...

looks like an awesome save...

keith

17. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

That red vert was at Spokane Goodguys last yr, It was a very cool and unique car. If I remember right the top he used was from a 65 Dart convertable and the car had been in a barn fire and the barn roof collapsed on the car, that was why it was built as a convertable, All Studes are cool

18. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

You did real good, El Scotto! Transforming it into a ragtop is also an excellent idea! Good Luck on this project! Is it as solid as it looks?

Perhaps reality is nothing more than a "collective hunch" after all.

19. Door posts are often the weak spots for rust. They must not have been very tight under the hood above this area or something. of course being a CA car this may not be an issue for you, but the rest of us to the right of you must check this area out..

Nice find. I have been looking for one myself obviously..

20. klazurfer

klazurfer

That Convertible is NICE :)
    I Tried to make it look more like a "Sports-car" ( Shitty "PAINT" photoshop .. :eek: )
    KLAZ

Attached Files:

21. klazurfer

klazurfer

Then I tried it with a 2" Section ... And a top .. looks like a Studerrari ..
    Came out nice , didnt it .. ?
    KLAZ

Attached Files:

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I've seen some things to suggest that there may have been an aftermarket conversion in the '50s to make a Studebaker convertible - anyone know anything about this? I found some illustrations of Studebaker convertibles while attempting to research Studillacs a while ago.

My dad would kill for that car, he wants a '53-'55 to mount on a C3 frame we've got. He wants to go 396/4-speed, I'd like to see a Cadillac engine in it, but either way it would be a cool project.

23. CruZer

CruZer

The only thing I know is thet are awesome cars. Way ahead of their time at the time. Fix that roof and slam it.

24. Studius

Studius

For a little inspiration you might take a look at the '53 now up on ebay. Here are some other examples including mine (black one). There are also a ton of resources available to you at www.studebakerdriversclub.com. Cheers!

Attached Files:

25. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

ALWAYS looking for a 53/4 Stude.....have a 63 and a 64 Galaxie fast back to trade.....
    Mark

26. Studius

Studius

A couple more examples.

Attached Files:

27. 47bob

47bob

Frank, As much as I hate to admit it that ragtop is really nice. Bob

28. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

it's called a "tag surround" and a steel one will run you $50-$250 but RODnRACE fiberglass makes them, my '54 has their fiberglass front clip, hood, bumpers, trunk lid and air scoop.

29. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

my '54 has a 512 caddy and 2004R tranny, gotta get some pics posted.

30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Indeed you do! My father and I differ on this, but I'd like to give one of these the "Jay Leno" treatment. Particularly a '55 President Speedster.

[​IMG]