Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drum brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spanky65, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Spanky65

Spanky65

I'm doing the front brakes on my 65 c10, I bought new drums and the hub is riveted on the old drums, I got all the rivets out and I'm having trouble getting the hub out any tips or advice would help thanks. IMG_20150614_222453.jpg

2. I had the same with some Chevy car drums, heat, a big press with correct support as close as you can get to the o.d. of the hub, more heat, cussing... good luck

3. squirrel

squirrel

I use a deep well socket under the hub, and drive the rivet thru with a punch. You can also just drill the rivet head off far enough to remove the drum, and grind the remains of the rivet flat.

4. I have used heat on the drum around the hub snout. Didn't have to heat it cherry or anything like that, but you could hear it "pop" when fit let go.

5. It's possible you have a burr/lip on 1 or all the rivets causing it not to come out.
    Back in the the day I worked for a brake parts company, we pressed drums all day long.
    We would just drop the drum on floor, worked all the time, no hub damage.

6. Spanky65

Spanky65

Thanks for all the tips!

7. Spanky65

Spanky65

I dropped it a couple times on a piece of wood and it fell right out, thanks.

8. BobMcD

BobMcD

That's how I remember doing it.