Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage UPDATED WITH PHOTOS! Going For Broke...50 day Cross-Country Road Trip Family Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, May 7, 2015.

1. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Hit up Custom Autosound.
    Thanks!
    Sweet!
    My favorite photo from the show and it just happened.
    Thanks man.
    Thanks!
    Good luck! Keep us posted how it goes.

2. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Picked the wagon up yesterday evening. This may explain the vibration:
    [​IMG]

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That will CERTAINLY explain a vibration. Got your money's worth out of that mount , lol !

I'll give Custom Autosound a call and see what they've got to say about my shoebox. Your setup certainly looks a treat , no doubt.

4. The sound deadening also has pretty good insulation ability, it will help out in the hot weather to limit heat transfer through the floorboards and firewall. Have it in my COE and other vehicles and it really helps the heat; of course making it a lot quieter as the main purpose..

5. ripsrides

ripsrides

If yall need anything when coming thru Nashville just let me know pm. for my phone number. There's always a cruise-in or car show and if you need a shop to check things out or repairs your welcome to use mine.

Special Ed likes this.
  6. Oklahoma should be plenty hot and dry in July. Hope your A/C works if you have it. :)

7. Terranova

Terranova

I may have said it last time and I'll say it again. You're my idol! The '36 in my avatar is the car I hope to restore and take trips like yours with my family.

That being said, with your leg through Indiana and Ohio, I know RadRed steered you away from the Indiana highways, I'd suggest taking route 40 if you want a two laner "see America" kinda leg. I've run most of it from St. Louis to west PA.
    It runs almost completely parallel to I70 and at points they're one and the same.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_40#Indiana
    It's also know as National Trail too.

And if you're really into it, there are a set of statues called the "Madonna of the trail" set up and dedicated by the D.A.R. (Daughters of the American Revolution). There's one in each state that Rte 40 passes through. I70 or rt40, you'll be passing two of them. Indiana's is in Richmond and Ohio's is in Springfield (but they moved it a little off 40)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_of_the_Trail

I did a mini tour of my own and saw four of them, IN, OH, WV, and PA all in a two day period. I'm thinking of putting together a HAMB/ford barn/old car weekend tour of them and rte 40.

There's also a Frank Lloyd Wright house a block off 40 in Springfield OH.
    Www.westcotthouse.org

Good luck!
    I look forward to following this trip!

Safe travels.
    Terranova
    (I'm in Hilliard on the west side of Columbus)

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  8. ripsrides

ripsrides

9. Would love to meet you guys when you swing through Branson/Springfield, MO areas.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright so as requested a feed back on the insulation. To start off with I didn't have enough to even start the firewall, I started on the ceiling and then worked from the back of the car forward so I wouldn't have to walk over stuff I had just put down.

On surface streets it was extremely noticable, and up to about 55/60 it was still a large difference. I'd say almost half as loud? At 76/80 it was quiter that it was without it all but it was still to loud to really try to talk to each other outside of asking if I was clear to change lanes. And even then I confirmed with ASL lol.

I'll do the firewall and put another layer in some spots and see what it does. The biggest change was that I heard a whole new set of noises more clearly. Including a rather obnoxious exhaust leak. And some of the vibration that come off the road surface migrated to other areas that it normaly didn't.

Example, normaly on a funny road surface when the car vibrates a bit I could hear it in the door skins. But now with them insulated it was making the inner panel buzz! I just put my elbow on it and it stopped. I'm curious if even the pressure of an interior door panel pressed against it under the garnish moulding wouldn't quite it but I may slap some insulation on it all the same.... As soon as lowes restocks

11. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

I hope so!
    We will be in Nashville for 4 days staying with my wifes friends. I would love to sneak out to some cruise nights and give the wagon a going over. I'll PM you.
    What does AC stand for? I am confused...
    That is a lot of great info!! Thanks man!
    I'll eat a burger for you! Thanks!
    Sounds good. I'll PM you we will be in town for 3 nights. Grandma's flying out to hang with the kids!

12. Terranova

Terranova

What part of Cbus are you coming to?

13. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

LOVE that pic of your kids in the mirror!!!!!

14. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Sorry not sure what Cbus is?
    It's all time! Thanks!

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

I think people from OHIO call Columbus, OH Cbus.

16. Maybe "Always Calm" considering hot kids and wife? :)

17. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Awesome thread. Absolutely awesome!

18. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Man if you were going to be closer to me (petty much where Ky, W.Va, and Ohio meet) I'd pm you my phone number, that way you would have someone to help you out if you were to have any troubles....

Matter of fact I think thats what others should do that you are going to be close too.... Always makes a body feel better if he knows he'll have somebody to help him out if a problem would arise....

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am hoping to make a trip like this in a few years in my 61 Chevy wagon

20. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! What an awesome trip! The thread on your last trip was epic, cant wait to follow along. I wish you and your family a safe and happy trip.

21. dad-bud

dad-bud

The wife and I are heading over to the US in late August for 8 weeks to visit the 13 remaining states that we haven't been to (yet). North-West and Mid-West.
    The Pacific North-west, northern Mountain / Big-Sky States, Yellowstone, Bonneville (for the 'other' Speed-Week in Sept), Mt Rushmore, the Plains States, Monument Valley and lots of places in between.
    Can't wait. :D:D:D:D:D:D
    I'll watch this family's trip with great interest, and wish them a super-safe and fun adventure.
    Cheers. DB

22. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

haha! We will see how this pans out!
    Thanks man! Hope we can meet at Salina.
    Thanks man! Lots of people have already messaged me their numbers!
    Do it!!!
    Thanks dude!
    Nothing like the road!!! Bonneville is on my bucket list!

23. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Read on your wife's IG that you broke down... Did ya get help ?

24. pumpman

pumpman

What a deal, love it. If you're in Chicago and want take a quick to the other side of lake your family is welcome to swing on in for a visit, burn some dogs and have some cold drinks. Your kids will take this trip/memories with them forever. Be safe.

25. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Been quite an adventure so far! No time to update since we didn't have wifi in Vegas and we slept in a Walmart parking lot last night! I'll write a first week on the road post as soon as we reach civilization on Tuesday! Heading into Zion and Bryce Canyon!

Kenna wrote a day one blog and three it up at the golden archs this morning. Read it here! http://misspartymom.blogspot.com/2015/06/obriens-going-for-broke-kicking-off.html?m=1

Also on Instagram we can update more follow:
    @shawn0brien @misspartymom and #obriensgoingforbroke

26. inkstain27

inkstain27

found you on IG while looking at pics from Santa Maria a couple weeks ago. looks like its been an adventure so far

27. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434427311.158161.jpg
    Still no wifi but here's a little picture of life on the road!

guthriesmith likes this.
  28. roughneck424

roughneck424

I Passed you today. I was headed south just left Bryce Canyon headed towards Zion. Right along the road where they guy was dragging the big cross around. Anyway I gave you a wave. Would have been cool if timing was just a little different and we were both stopped

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  29. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Wow, Trip Of A Life Time, Memories For Ever For You And Your Kids. We Did Your Leg 3 A few Years Ago I Think You Will Love It. I Will Be Following You. Good Luck. Larry

30. This is awesome! I have been dreaming of super long road trip in a HAMB worthy vehicle for a long time and will be following the journey that you are so graciously sharing so I can live vicariously through you until I finally get enough parts and time to make my RPU a reality.