Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects LUCKY PENNY

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Thulsa Doom, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Misc pics I forgot to post

Yankee turn signal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Accessory horn button I will use as Hubcap medallion. (Repop button shown for mock up. NOS will be used)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grille mock up. (It’s been lowered and centered since then)
    [​IMG]

This coin will be in the Custom made shift knob Kirk is making me.
    [​IMG]

Fitted hoses

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and Kan Kustom like this.
  2. Kirk at “Luck You” fabricated this symbol of my individuality. Acrylic infused box Elder Burl hybrid.
    [​IMG]
    Figured out a way to hide that ugly Yankee 960 Column clamp using, as Brad Masterson called it “Genuine Imported Brazilian Female Orangutan Underarm Hair” left over from the Original Dave Chavez Interior.

[​IMG]

Other side:

[​IMG]

Early 50s purist are cussing me out, late 50s purist are clapping their hands right now. Haha

Kan Kustom and Model T1 like this.
  3. Making it comfortable for the Wife. With a sneaky new IPod capable am/fm stereo that looks like the accessory 6 button radioZ
    [​IMG]

And a paychecks worth of Dynamat

[​IMG]

volvobrynk, Kan Kustom and Model T1 like this.

• I appreciate everyone’s positive feedback. It really helps keep me motivated during this last big mechanical push. I’m hoping it’s driving in less than 6 weeks.

Finished my fuel lines and such recently. Got my battery delivered[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hate those air cleaners. I traded the Thickstun I had on there as it won’t clear the Breather on that Navarro intake due to the angle of the breather mounting surface. (I’m willing to bet Barney Navarro did that on purpose as Tommy Thickstun and Frank Baron, Bob Tattersfield were his rivals) I’ll replace them eventually with something really good. just right now I’m picking my battles.

Need to start going back through and ground electrical, re torquing everything, add fluid, grease everything and as soon as my wheel shows up then it’s off to the exhaust shop then the interior and alignment shops.

4. [​IMG]

Pinstriping a frame is like wearing nice socks. They may never see them but you know it’s there.

The new HopUp RULES btw!
    Like a madman until it’s done.

[​IMG]

5. Chrome finds a home
    [​IMG]

Sill plates are in. ( I used a set from a 51′ for the old style Ford logo)
    [​IMG]

Kan Kustom, Model T1 and Eric H like this.
  6. I ordered this a few weeks ago. Paid for it, have an appointment at the upholstery shop in 2 weeks, etc. Got an email today that it’s discontinued. Kind of a kick in the nuts but whatever. It would have looked great. RIP 1st choice.

[​IMG]
    I thought I was good enough to knock that front windshield in by myself 1am insomnia style….nope.

[​IMG]

Kan Kustom, Model T1 and Eric H like this.
  7. Back window glass and stainless is in the gasket. Prepped and taped and ready to rope in. (Just like the front) hope to get them in this weekend.

[​IMG]

Drivers side front end is rebuilt.
    Side window stainless is installed.
    Door hinges/check arms are on the doors/pillars waiting to be hung this weekend.

Another 1am shift for me here. Stick a fork in me and turn me over.

8. Gonna leave you with these for a bit.

THIS is a great feeling!!! I’ve literally scrounged for years to get this steering wheel.

It’s loosely mocked up for the photo

[​IMG]

It’s great to see the paint flip flop at night.

[​IMG]

That’s essentially my view…. Tossed the chrome garnish moldings on after I hung the door. Then sat down in the front seat for a few minutes and Soaked it all in. The chrome, the tuck n roll, the paint and parts…the dream, the freedom.

9. dos zetas

dos zetas

I wish print journalism was still around, because i would like to have a little book about the planning and construction and finish of this great period car...along with your great ideas about the historical background and context.
    This is the first custom I've really followed on the HAMB, thank you.

volvobrynk and Thulsa Doom like this.
  10. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What, no Jerm top chop?

Your attention to build era detail is wonderful. Looking forward to the finish.

vic

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  11. Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  12. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Great work! Looking forward to see more!

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  13. Front glass and dash garnish is in.

Both doors are hung.

Back windows been in and out 3 times. The stainless reveal trim keeps popping out in a corner.

Grrr….

……almost ready for a profile stance shot. This week I promise.

[​IMG]

Wheel is in and done.

[​IMG]

Back glass and stainless are finally in. The package tray upholstery will be extended to the window in a few weeks when it hits the upholstery shop.

[​IMG]

I’m so close….. I’m so tired…

14. Interior fabric choice #2 has been ordered. This fabric will be button tufted on the seat backs, cushions, door panels and package tray. There will be stuffed white vinyl tuck n roll (real stitched NOT heat sealed ,some flat white vinyl, Mongolian faux fur carpet-accents and piping/accents (made from the newly ordered fabric)galore.
    [​IMG]

Headliner will be a vertically run combination of all those elements.

My brother Del came in town and we put in a solid 8 hours today. We buttoned everything up underneath. There’s only a few smalls left: wire fuel pump, readjust drivers side door, etc. but it’s back down on its shoes.

It was late night when we finished so the stance photos are obviously inside shots but here ya go.

57″in height. REALLY inspired by the Goulart stance but it’s actually a bit taller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully I can finish most of the smalls tomorrow and send it off to the exhaust shop this week.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  15. My friend Del hard style posing. Haha this gives you an idea of how low the Lucky Penny is. I gotta admit I’m already sweating speed bumps and steep driveways.

[​IMG]

16. And as cool as that looks I noticed a scrub line issue up front so it’ll have to get raised 1.5″

I’m at 24″ and talking to Casny about his measurement I decided I need to be at 26.75 at the front wheel well. The back is fine.

Fuel pump is in.

Trans lines need run.

Fluid added

Leaks chased

New solenoid added and it “should” crank.

Then off to the interior shop Monday regardless.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  17. Well I did what I could do to get it running before interior… Didn’t happen. A 6volt solenoid kept me from rolling.

Anyway I got the last of the fabric in

[​IMG]

18. Paulie. I'm in love with your car!! I'm proud to be close enough to you to be able to cruise together when this thing is road ready! You're an inspiration for sure.

Let me know if you need anything brother!!

BloodyKnuckles

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  19. @BloodyKnuckles you know I got the love Brother.

Clean white walls-fresh chrome before the Interior shop

[​IMG]
    Well that’s it. It got dropped off to the interior shop. It’s gonna be a long nerve racking 2 weeks. Here’s a daylight shot of the stance for all you non insomniacs

[​IMG]

Bumpers and trunk etc etc will get adjusted when she comes back home

[​IMG]

20. A puzzle waiting to be solved [​IMG]
    Really nothing to do but small stuff at this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. She’s done (minus headliner) and coming home today!! More pics later…

[​IMG]

22. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Proud supporter of the Iron Lords CC those guys have helped me out immensely. Nothing but Love-Respect!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  23. ....and that brings everyone up to speed.

I have to do a week or so of smalls then jump it down to Concord where a Brother will help me pipe notch it and then it goes to the exhaust and alignment shop and I'm driving. (Porter mufflers already bought, 1.75" pipe is the plan) I'll post some pics and vids when it fires after exhaust.

I plan to be at TRoG-CBtS again this year in the Shoebox. Even if it doesn't make the cut off year. I had such a great time last year riding up with my Brothers. I support what those guys are doing in NJ 100%.

Paint is on hold until I can find the right guy on the East Coast that can handle aWatson Style job. Hopefully that goes down this fall/winter. Right now I'm gonna drive and enjoy the season with my friends.

Massive special thanks to Shoebox Chris, Dave Chavez, Brad Masterson, the ENTIRE Iron Lords CC and Thank YOU for taking the time to read and comment on my build thread I hope you enjoyed it.

volvobrynk, kiwijeff and Model T1 like this.
  24. spinner

spinner

thanks for sharing your post I have enjoyed it

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  25. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

Makes me want to get on my '50 coupe! Thanks! John

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  26. Model T1

Model T1

Well durn it! I'm sittin in the principal's office at high school in the 50's again! late for school. It's all your fault. In my dreams I keep stoppin on my way to school to peek in your garage at the progress! Damned this is a great build of a really kool car.
    It really was like going back in time reading this build. Not many guys follow thru 100%. But this is a true 50's custom.
    Thank's for taking us along. Good luck and enjoy your shoebox.

volvobrynk and Thulsa Doom like this.
  27. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Damn, I love that Sasquatch fur!

Excellent work. Thanks for posting. Very inspirational.

Thulsa Doom likes this.