Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I love my turd...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a 63 stainless auto omega w/day/date. its my favorite.

2. slack

slack

After further review of my initial post it seemed it could be taken as a smart ass comment as well as possibly offensive. I certainly didn't mean it that way. I was merely pointing out that it was a "unique" statement. I too have a "turd" that I love. I felt the need to clarify (had a gnawing feeling my family would receive a fish wrapped in newspaper)

Ryan likes this.
  3. [email protected] mentioned Rex Rods. Is Keith setting up as a side gig? Did he leave the Speed Shop?

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

5. Model T1

Model T1

Speaking of watches, I had only a few cheap watches. One was an original Mickey Mouse my grand dad found while working his second job cleaning the local movie theater. Man I wished I had that watch. It just disappeared after I moved out.
    Other than a few I kept breaking watches. So when I worked for a living I bought cheap $1.00 pocket watches. Eventually I realized there were clocks in my cars, the radio and TV told the time, and there were clocks on most every street corner. Besides my wife wore a watch. She wears hers to bed. I think that's to see if it's time to make love!

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

It looks like we have more in common.I collect cars,pens,watches,Art Deco,and 1920s through 1940s radios.My fascination with watches started as a kid,admiring my grandfathers Patek.I inherited his watch collection when I got older and I've added to it ever since.Outside of things that I collect,I am the most logical person you'll ever meet,hell,I make Mr.Spock the most "outside of the box" guy ever.And when I'm spending a lot of cash on another watch,I always say"Hey,my cell phone keeps better time than this SOB,WTF am I thinking? But I'm obsessed with things mechanical and their sheer beauty,the thought put into their design and the fact that I am their caretaker while I'm this side of Terra Firma.I guess they are like my children,except they don't eat,the never act up in restaurants,they don't date the wrong people,hit me up to go to colleges they're not qualified for.....hell. they're perfect ;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ^^^^Well said^^^^

8. moefuzz

moefuzz

I'm not much of a watch guy but the car guy in me couldn't resist this when I saw it....

30's ?40's or 50's European, purchased in France a few years ago...

And I know very little about it

100_3648 1200.jpg

100_3650 1200.jpg

100_3652 1200.jpg

100_3653 1200.jpg

For what it's worth, it looks like it saw very little use, just a lot of shelf life.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Scooterville, Ryan and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Very cool! Think that's a Michelin?^^^^^^^^

10. @ moefuzz that's the coolest watch i ever saw.

11. Not true. I've been calling my truck "the turd" since Oct. of last year. AND... I'm pretty sure I copy righted it too.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I remember when I was a kid, there was this old guy that worked at the jewelry store in town fixing watches. I was always amazed when he would put on that magnifying glass doo hickey and pick up those tiny screwdrivers and start to work on a watch. All those tiny gears, wheels, and springs amazed me. Not many of those guys left anymore.

I joined the digital world when they started coming out and never looked back. I'm rough on watches, and can only wear stainless bands, so I'm pretty much stuck on one style anymore. Last one I had to buy off of da Bay, couldn't find one locally. They last a year or two, I end up destroying them, then I have to look for another one.

Still enjoy looking at the old ones, but will never wear one again.

13. moefuzz

moefuzz

From what I gather it was manufactured in and amongst the Eastern Block (East Germany) by UMF Ruhla.

UMF Ruhla was a small company and similiar in standing to the free world's Timex (in that it was of mediocre quality).

I have watched ebay.de as well as ebay.fr for similiar models and although UMF watches pop up regularly, I haven't found another wrapped in a tire (tyre?).

It does run although needs a good service/cleaning.

The one thing that I have learned in regards to UMF Ruhla is that they are starting to demand decent prices especially if they were manufactured prior to 1960. 100 to 200Euro is not uncommon for nicer/rarer models.

...If I recall correctly, I think I paid in ~ 25Euro for a jar full of watches just to get that particular one.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. indyjps

indyjps

I've got about 50 watches, mostly square face bulova, hamilton, waltham, 1930's 1940's. Oddly enough I've decided recently to sell them to buy car parts. I need to pull them all out and pick 1 to keep.

15. vwdave30

vwdave30

My turd is green

Attached Files:

moefuzz and 1-SHOT like this.
  16. I can't wear a watch. I keep misplacing them. Usually in the house somewhere.

While my "turd" is an O/T van, they all seem to get first sticky and then the paint worn in the same spot where my elbow lands when I drive with the window down. While I dressed up the wood piece that goes below that (and painted it maroon no less), I let the metal part go.

And to have a touch of past in there, I swapped on the steering wheel from my grandfather's last car. Straight bolt-on. Car itself is rotted out and worn out and no saving it. But at least I have that.

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I can't fucking believe I just spent 30 of the few remaining minutes of my life reading a post about watches!!!! Since I got old enough to not give a shit what appearance I presented to the ladies (77 now) I have worn nothing but a Casio digital.
    When it gets to where a buffing job on the wheel at my shop no longer clears up the plastic crystal enough to read it, or the battery expires, I get on Amazon and buy another, as Walmart seems to have dropped them. I never take the damn things off till I am finioshed for the day. Till then the get subjected to whatever I have my hands in or on.

18. I'd argue you on that.....I bought the Seiko Automatic Divers 200, horrible. Never stayed on time. Now that 60.00 Casio I bought at Costco, different story.....

19. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Lol. I see what you did there. That Tudor with the olive drab band is awesome. I wear a GMT master 2. Very similar to the Tudor. That my dad gave me. I wear it in the oil field and while building hot rods. If I scratch the car or it scratches the watch that's just part of the story for me.

Great post. I'm a watch lover myself. Though Im very early in my collecting career. I'll have a few more when the old man kicks the bucket though. Lol.

20. Like wearing a S&W gauge cluster

I inherited my Dads watch collection... his watches names ended in x's as well... Timex!

Pretty sure I have the whole history of busted Timex!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  21. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

22. This thread is very off topic.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's hypocrisy.

wingnutz likes this.
  24. Yes, it is.

25. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

This one isn't vintage or fancy, but I spotted it on one of my very few WalMart trips and grabbed it. It has a cool aviation inspired feel to it that reminded me of some of the WWII gauges you see.

[​IMG]

26. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

I have a few HMTs...not bad watches. Stands for Hindustan Machine Tool. In December 2013, a guy on the Watchuseek forums was getting a group buy together for a custom watch from HMT. It kept being delayed and he would have bizarre stories about the factory. I decided to stay far away from that project; I just checked and they're still in production on the project. Yikes.

I do like mechanical watches but have focused mainly on old Russian ones...they're very strange and most are reasonably priced. My more modern mechanicals are either Chinese, Indian, or Japanese.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  28. Im hard core trad
    470842d1247856163-ss-wrist-watch-solarm.jpeg
    Bitches.

wingnutz likes this.
  29. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Someone else mentioned pens....I think there's a similar theme of fountain pens, mechanical watches, old cameras, vinyl records, and old cars. They all go together as slightly more complicated and involved compared to modern equivalents, but people drawn to them enjoy that fact.

I have a shit ton (imperial, not metric) fountain pens along with a nice Parker Jotter collection.

30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Jeeeezzzz!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Ryan, what the fuck you got started here???????????????

2racer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.