Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Starter Just Clicks since Trans went in, What Happened?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swaluda, Jun 15, 2015.

1. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

Put a 700r4 Trans behind my 383 Chevy. It's a new crate motor. Had it runnin fine. I put in a 700r4 trans in it and now the starter just clicks. Pulled the starter and bench tested just fine. Reinstalled and it's still just clickin. Where do I go from here? Need help on this one, Thanks for any input, Stan

2. Check your grounds. Or add some, motor to frame.

3. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

I'll try the frame ground. Torque converter spun before I bolted it up, everything seemed to go smooth there, motor spins with socket on balancer, Hmm

4. Grounds first. Then check to see how the starter nose is fitting at the flywheel. Might even rethink the length of the torque converter bolts.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Then check to see if the battery is dead :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

i'll give er a good goin over, thanks

7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Then check to see if the battery is dead :)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like experience talking there!:rolleyes:

8. squirrel

squirrel

It's how we learn

F&J likes this.
  9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sounds like experience talking there!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

shit happens :oops:o_O:rolleyes:

10. Swaluda,

Is this is the same starter and flex plate that you used on the old combination? If so, mesh "should" be the same. I'm going to have to third (or Fourth, actually) the dead battery theory.....I went through something similar just last month, but a little more complicated....ie. Car made one clunk (much more solid than a click!) was dead electrically, battery showed to have juice (big mistake here was using a test light! Shows voltage, but not how much!), every ground on the car was hot.....and the part that REALLY blew my mind was the magic smoke wasn't pouring out anywhere! (if your not familiar with the magic smoke theory, let me know. It'll make understanding electrical stuff SO much easier! ;):rolleyes::D) Now I knew this thing didn't convert itself to postive ground overnight! :mad: Turned out the HEADLIGHT switch was falling apart inside (had noticed it was a little stiff), and hadn't quite gone to the off position last time I drove it. Ran the battery down just enough for it to throw the bendix (which stuck), but not enough to turn the starter as well. :confused: Really through me off because I had already tried a jumper box on it, jumped it with my Lincoln for a GOOD 30 min, and nothing! :mad: after a week of on and off jacking with it, I brought the battery charger home from the shop, put it on Start, and it fired right off! Put a new headlight switch in it and it's all good now. Lesson learned!