Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Tucker, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I remember reading that they built 20 fake Tuckers for the movie, they had semi finished fibreglass bodies on Ford chassis. Semi finished in that they were just a shell, with only the driver's door functional.
    Wonder if any of them survive?

2. gyronaut

gyronaut

The 20+/- Tuckers in the film were real. There was a Studebaker used for the rollover scene that still exists today in its final crashed state. There were three or four other fake Tuckers made for various scenes and backups, one of which is in the Ypsilanti Heritage Museum. And there were a few extra hoods, doors and fenders that can be seen in the assembly plant scenes. They all still exist in various locations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

The movie "Tucker" is awesome in itself. This movie has opened the eyes of many. My daughter was only 8 years old when she saw the movie and she requested to watch it over and over. Sometime later I presented her with a Jack Russell Terrier Puppy and her first response was, "I want to name my puppy Tucker" I still think of that little dog when someone mentions a "Tucker Automobile".......... Jeff

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

So there were 3 or 4 fibreglass running Tuckers made for the movie and one is in a museum. Wonder where the others went? Were they sold when the movie was finished or junked?

5. gyronaut

gyronaut

There's a HAMB build thread on one of the Tucker replicas in Oslo, Norway by SuperFleye.

And here's Preston Tucker's nephew, Frank, with three of the replicas.

[​IMG]

6. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I remember that. It's the same place I saw a Tucker for the first (and only) time.
    I also thought it was really cool.

This is a great thread...

7. Don't know how I missed this before, but this is truly an amazing effort. Please, Rob, give us an update on the project.

8. X2 don't know how I missed this. Great story. Tucker another car ahead of its time. Small Guy thinking out of the box. Rob you delivered some willys parts to york over 20 years ago to me. Work you do is top shelf.

9. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Please keep the Tucker posts coming. I appeal to the H.A.M.B. police to let this stuff stay. I don't consider it to be "OFF TOPIC" and look forward to more.

10. 55willys

55willys

I saw one in person the first time at the Lemay Marymont facility a few years ago. I have always liked them and it is a bit sad that the company wasn't able to recover and build them. Who knows what innovations it would have brought to the car world. Thanks for keeping the dream alive one car at a time. Jim Ford

11. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

What a great story! I've always admired the Tucker, but my model of the '48 is as close as I'll ever get to one! IMG_0932.jpg

T.L. likes this.
  12. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

I am happy to see the Tucker's. But how much design did studebaker and others steal from him if any .

13. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Has anyone seen an update or progress on the concept car? I would love to see a build thread on that car being fabricated from scratch.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ace car tester Tom McCahill said the same thing in 1950, in a Studebaker road test. GM slammed the rear engine idea, claiming in press releases that the rear engine car was ridiculous, and would never work. Ten years later brought out the Corvair. Maybe they should have listened to themselves lol.

15. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

Follow Rob Ida if you have Instagram or Facebook he posts new stuff everyonce in a while. They finished the steering wheel the other day.

16. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Thanks, I'll do that

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Dean Pavlik

Dean Pavlik

I have really enjoyed the posts on here about the tucker and the movie, I had purchased some of the movie props a few years ago and am fabricating a replica from the prop parts, i could use one of the movie prop hoods in one of the other posts

Attached Files:

levimc6 likes this.
  18. levimc6

levimc6

Does anyone know if any of the factory tooling, or molds to make the parts for the replicas in the movie have survived?

19. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

All the company's assets were sold at auction in 1950. Some parts and partly finished cars survived. No tooling or molds survive. The fiberglass parts were made from moulds taken off Francis Ford Coppola's own Tucker. Some aluminum body panels were hand formed for the Studebaker used in the wreck scene.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. Dean Pavlik

Dean Pavlik

the other member is correct a real tucker was disassembled and painted red to be the tin goose in the movie, while the car was apart the items were pressed into expandable foam , (great stuff) a fiberglass layup was done in the foam and roughly eight sets of fenders , doors, bumpers ext were produced, there are still bits of foam stuck to some of the parts. as the molds broke down between layups, it appears that plastic filler was used to repair these foam molds

dana barlow likes this.
  22. Dean Pavlik

Dean Pavlik