Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new 33-34 3-window adventure! Would love to know any history of this old hotrod!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Elrod, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Elrod

Elrod

[​IMG]

Thought I would start a new thread. I have been casually searching for a 33-34 3 window coupe for years, but nothing ever jumped out as being right. There was the one at Lonestar Round up this year that Flat Top Bob brought that was super clean that got me thinking that I had to get serious about tracking one down.

I located a guy in Canada that had a couple cars but found out they were all pieced together from multiple bodies and covered in pitting and patch panels from head to toe. I came close to buying it, but it wasn't sitting right with me and had a hard time feeling right about it. I was pretty frustrated that nothing was popping up. One evening searching the HAMB, I saw an ad from pinstriper40 that they had just unearthed a stalled out build that used to be a kookie old hotrod from Los Angelas. The previous owner bought this car from a guy in Canyon City colorado who supposedly built in in highschool in the 50s. He had made a trip to the junkyard and when he walked in, two guys at the counter were discussing an old hotrod for sale. The man behind the counter turned to this guy and said, "Maybe he will want it." The previous owner went and looked and struck up a deal on an old teenager built kookie 50s rod. This was confirmed when he pulled the door panels and found copies of the LA Times wadded up in the doors from 1958.

The car was a 1933 coupe chopped 3 inches and leaded, channeled, with a 1932 grill shell, quad headlights and a purple paint job. It had a 59L flathead in it with stock heads and a 2x2 intake. The driveline was all 1933. It had plywood floors and purple interior, a filled 1933 dash with an Auburn gauge panel in it that had the bottom area cut off where the switches used to be. You can see the twin antennas on the back deck and a heavily notched frame out back. in the photo I received of how it looked when he got it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The previous owner said he hated the way the car looked even thought it ran and he could drive it. His buddies said he should just take it to shows and enjoy it, but he wasn't a fan of it. This was the late 80s man. You can't drive an old heap like that around. He decided to chemical strip the car and began replacing the floor with stock height bitchen hotrod floor. He also replaced the hacked up firwall and cowl with a '34 cowl that he had. He had someone start filling the top who didn't seem all that great and luckily stopped him before he took it too far. He decided that he had a lot of projects and was also working a deal for a nice original 34 Tudor, and decided that it might be time to move this one down the road.

If This rings a bell with anyone out there as to remembering this car around colorado or LA in the early days, or seeing this kookie machine in a magazine, let me know!

The wife and I put a deposit on the car and drove from Texas to Colorado a couple days later. It was pouring rain and flooding everywhere, we ran out of gas as we rolled into a tiny town 100 miles from nowhere, the alternator was failing, so we had to keep all the accessories off in the car, but things like that make for fun adventures! I was just super happy that I had found the car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car is super rust free and obviously cared for it's entire life. I'm happy to have found it and plan to build a fenderless lakes inspired hotrod with it.

A few pics of what I'm starting with!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the door latches, garnish, wood, window regulartors, etc..

[​IMG]

Very clean inside!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now it's time to make some room and start laying this project out. I'll be looking for a NICE 1934 grill and hood and inner fenders soon, so let me know if you have a line on any of that. I would also like to remove the filled roof panel and put the tack strip back in, so if you know of a donor 33-34 long roof or coupe roof, give me a shout!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    chop job, skitzo13, Speed~On and 14 others like this.
  2. F&J

F&J

I'm old...... so, I can't help saying I really love the old look in the pic with the tarp on the roof. That's what coupes looked like way back when in my area.

3. Well this will be a good one!

Two shabby and Elrod like this.
  4. ... nice !

Elrod likes this.

5. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Hell yeah, great purchase, look forward to seeing this in the future!

Elrod likes this.
  6. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Great score, glad your persistance to get the right one paid off!

Elrod likes this.
  7. You my friend are a very fortunate man!!!! That's exactly the sort of car I want next. I intend to sell my cabrio and find one....this summer. Glad for ya!!! Tim

volvobrynk and Elrod like this.
  8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Cool find and back story. I shot you a pm on a parts lead.

Elrod likes this.
  9. kisam

kisam

Fantastic condition!

Elrod likes this.
  10. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

That's gonna make a nice solid hotrod. Congrats on the score.

Elrod likes this.
  11. Didn't notice the DALLAS address until now. When the monkey business was on Fabens Road, a decade back ...before their rabbit ears popularity ... Aaron Kaufmann/clean shaven was cruising a red, cracked paint '34 5 window coupe, with a 327 dual quad four speed down Harry Hines Blvd. Nothing to do with your build or history of course ... but I have always loved Model 40 hot rods in the neighborhood.

Elrod likes this.
  12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

13. Babyearl

Babyearl

Very interesting,,,,

Rocky and Elrod like this.
  14. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats. Looks like you have a great girl there too.

Elrod likes this.
  15. What a solid looking coupe! Can't wait to see this one come together.

Elrod likes this.
  16. house of fab

house of fab
    from ashland va

Congrats on a great find. Looking forward to following along...

Elrod likes this.
  17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Nice find! Makes me want to start looking for another three window. I like your plans for the build.

Elrod likes this.
  18. Nice solid coupe, look forward to seeing this build.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk, Elrod and 296ardun like this.
  19. Nice looking body and a great stash of parts to go with it that will save you a lot of time looking for those hard to find parts. Looks a lot better then the deuce I found.

Elrod likes this.
  20. Pete

Pete

Jesus Christ!!!!! Is it just me..... Am I the only one that works with absolute shit metal??? Dude that thing is the cats meow!

Congrats!!!!

21. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Soooo nice! I'm looking for a 3 window and can't find anything near that nice!!

Elrod likes this.
  22. JimSibley

JimSibley

You are not the o my one. I'm pretty used to junk myself. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434180530.243411.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434180574.319581.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434180606.506720.jpg

23. K.L

K.L

I'll be watching for sure

Elrod likes this.
  24. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

You must not read the classifieds
    It was advertised here.

25. Retro61

Retro61

I picked a really nice '34 5 window last fall, sure wish it was a 3 window! I'd consider selling it, if I could replace it with one!
    Congrats on your score, you did well!

Elrod likes this.
  26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This is going to be killer. I lust for a '33-'34 3W too..

Elrod likes this.
  27. Rusty

Rusty

Man this is gonna be cool! It's definately in good hands now

28. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Your not alone. Me too Pete

29. KKrod

KKrod

Nice score!! subscribed.