Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Update for Aussies - Fender Exemption

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by striper, Jun 8, 2015.

1. striper

striper

Just a quick update on our progress regarding our pursuit of a fender / mudguard exemption for hot rods in Australia.

On last Friday night elricho and I presented our proposal for an exemption to the ASRF (Vic). The response from those present was very positive. So we have successfully negotiated our first hurdle.

Our main mode of communication has been via our Facebook page but we are aware that social media is not always the best conduit for potentially sensitive information. We will be setting up an AHRA website soon but in the meantime we are keen to talk to interested rodders and convey our progress face to face. It's also an excuse to get out for a run. So next Saturday, June 13, we will be hosting a little get together to pass on some info and meet as many supporters as possible.

Get your rod out and join us for coffee and a bite at the corner of Eynesbury Rd and Exford Rd, Eynesbury, Melway ref 220 H2. We'll be there from 9.00am until around 1.00pm so come down and enjoy some good company and get the latest on an Aussie fender exemption from the horses mouth.

See you there....Pete

2. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thankyou for fighting the fight!

3. swifty

swifty

Hated making fender brackets back in 1965 so any chance to get out of it for the current build will be welcome. Wont make your get together though Pete.

4. Ditto!

5. dad-bud

dad-bud

Holy cow!
    I thought this was one of the holy cows of Aussie rodding - bicycle fenders on hiboys, no matter what.
    Do you mean there may be hope??!
    No, I will not believe until it is confirmed but I have everything crossed for your efforts.
    Fight the good fight and all the best of luck.
    Thank you for trying.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  6. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Great work Pete, I'd like to also encourage everyone to try and make an effort and come along to this, especially the melbourne guys.
    These fellas are fighting the good fight, for all our benefit.

7. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Best of luck. Keep up the good work.

8. Wardog

Wardog

Good work Pete.

9. Great work, you have my support and help where needed....

10. Not sure if I'll make it Pete. Roadster has no gearbox at the moment and I need to get cracking on the EK. I'll see how I go.

Good to hear it went well Friday night for you both. Sounds like you have made some steps in the right direction. The tough ones will be with the roads authorities....

11. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good job guys, you have my support. I will try and make it down on Sat.

12. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Bump, support needed.

13. I really hope this takes off and we can get this happening up in QLD if it goes through in Victoria. I hate the idea of my roadster with fenders. Gross.

14. striper

striper

We want it to go national but as you know each state administers it's own registration system. All we can hope is to get Victoria through and then get the others on board.

15. It's great to see you guys taking action. Best of luck to you!!

16. striper

striper

Just bringing it back up guys.

It's winter. The cars have been tucked up for a while and we're itching to get out for a run. Forecast for tomorrow is 17 and sunny. Not going to get much better than that for a few months so get your shit together and come and have a coffee. Show some support for the few of us who are paddling hard under the surface to make this thing happen. I know plenty of you will be on board once we get it through, but we'd be appreciative of your support now.

17. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Convoy heading out in the A/M Pete

18. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Pete, I believe all states are using the National guidelines for the template for exemptions.

You may need to tackle this before any State will take it on board.

Please do not take this as a negative, I am sure there will be many supporters of a no fender exemption, me included, If I can help from pushing a little to the SA TAC , send me a PM

19. striper

striper

Great stuff Thommo. Looking forward to catching up

20. striper

striper

Not all of the states have adopted the NSRG yet. Doesn't really matter because our exemption is not in there anyway, so this would be in addition to any existing rules. Exactly where this fits with existing legislation and guidelines is well and truly up in the air. But any help in states other than Vic would be great. We can't be everywhere so we are dealing with Vic initially. I know Mike Ahrens supports what we are doing so maybe have a chat with him.

21. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

A little history for you , yes its NSW DMT but may give some insight into what the rego people were thinking and might fall back on. Dates from 1972 and caused a lot of heartache (included no chrome inside cars, padded dash.....) Are you going to post this on Ozrodders?
    [​IMG]

22. See ya in the AM fellas.....

23. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I heard about the meeting location at another meeting tonight. Eynesbury is a great place. Sorry I will not make the meeting but good luck with this as it is a great step.

24. Good Luck guys! HRP

25. Wardog

Wardog

Good luck guys, share some photos.

26. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

I have been told that your proposal is very well thought out and written and if any one has a chance of getting this through it is you guys so good luck
    Colin

27. striper

striper

A lot of support for the AHRA proposal for a fender / mudguard exemption at our first real get-together today. Plenty of coupes and roadsters braved the near freezing temperatures for an early start this morning. There seemed to be a very positive vibe about what we are doing and in fact we actually received our first funds from our first financial members. Thanks to those who stepped up with the cash and also those who pledged to join once we get our website up. Bear with us on that. We are playing catch up on all of this as the support and progress has taken us a bit by surprise.... and we are not really tech savvy either.

For now, enjoy a few pics from this morning. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434187749.819902.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434187774.286271.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434187794.764725.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434187818.964609.jpg

thommoina33 and 509garyd like this.
  28. flatoz

flatoz

good to see Pete,

Of course I didn't make it but glad there was a good turn out.

29. Looks and sounds like it was a good morning, hopefully the roadster is back together for the next one...

30. striper

striper

Thanks for the last minute help Corey. I'll keep you in the loop and give you a bit more notice next time.