Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest A sad day, we've lost another Legend. Dick Page

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrd32, Jun 12, 2015.

1. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

A few times in your life you meet someone who is a like a long lost brother, you just immediately bond and talk like you’ve known each other forever. Today I lost such a friend and we all lost a Legend. My friend, our friend, Dick Page passed today after his long and courageous battle against multiple diseases and infections. He fought till the end and he will be oh so missed by those who knew him and loved him. His knowledge of Custom cars and Hot Rods was legendary as were the details about these cars that he remembered with ease. He knew everybody who was anybody during the hay day of Hot Rods and Customs and more importantly they knew him. I will sorely miss the hours we spent talking about cars and his never-ending stories from his multifaceted experiences growing up and his amazing talent for drawing, painting and designing of posters, banners, etc. and his cutting and perceptive sense of humor. From 15 to 70 he was all about cars and doing stuff to them and with them. I am happy his suffering is over but sad for not ever being able to talk to him again, I’m sure I’ll reach for the phone numerous times to call him and then remember I can’t. My eyes are full of tears as I type this but my heart is full of happiness for having met and known him, if only for a brief while. Rest in peace and be pain free my friend. Love ya Brother![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

wingnutz, 123, warbird1 and 1 other person like this.
  2. draider

draider
    from Texas

Rest in peace, Dick.

3. Was Dick in the body shop supply business and had a Hot Rod Car Show on one of the Seattle stations back in the early 80's?

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Yes he did ...

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A great loss to the custom and hot rod world. A very common answer to a question on old customs or hot rods from the 40's or 50's was "Dick Page should know".
    The first time I encountered him was trying to keep up with him on the way to the show in Port Orchard after I spotted him on the highway in his 32. There was no keeping up with him and that car and I discovered why when I took a serious look at the the car at the show.
    May he rest in peace.

6. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Dick was one of the Best!! Sure will be missed! Don in Indiana

7. verde742

verde742

Ratz, I knew Dick since the 60's.. Hot Rods run thru our veins.
    It was in Tacoma, Wash. before the Beatles,
    When we met I had a 29, tudor, goldenrod yellow, full fendered, lowered in the front, chev, 4 speed, olds rear end, chrome reversed wheels, black tuck and roll. He kept chasing me in a lowered older station wagon.
    I thought what the heck is wrong with that guy, it was on South Tacoma Way, I was 2 hours North of where I lived, and I had heard Tacoma had a lot of Hot Rods and I wanted to see them, and maybe make some money. I also heard Tacoma was a ruff place to cruise, cops, etc. I pulled over in a Hamburger Place, called Tom's. The buddy with me was named Tom, and we thought we could maybe get a free burger or two. Hey, we were 18. This kind of a heavy guy comes running over to my tudor, "Says where you from? I said Longview Washington, He said where is your permit to cruise this area? I said F--K You, I don't need a permit, this is America. He started laughing and we bonded. As the years went by I kept going North looking for all the Hot Rods, and Dick introduced me to a lot of his friends. And, By Golly, there was a lot of Hot Rods. A lot of them entered the Portland Roadster Show. A great bunch of guys and really neat car area. For some crazy reason I thought the Hot Rod world started and lived in Longview, Wash.
    EXCEPT for the little books and HRM.
    One time we were pitching on his 32 sedan with the blown small block, cause it had chrome wheels, Dick left, came back later painted the wheels red, right in the motel parking lot. He did everything , and well..
    Dick was a super guy, and I will miss talking to him.
    Rest in Peace, Dick, you got yer permit to cruise wherever your at, you earned it..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    123 and Clark like this.
  8. Well written tribute Jack, R.I.P. Dick. Never met him but enjoyed his FB postings.

HEMI32 likes this.
  9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

man, that's sad news..

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Sad news, I remember the hot rod TV show Dick page hosted back in the late 80's - and that great 32 Tudor he built.

11. Sad to hear this. Never met him, but what a loss...

12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

A man of style and taste, Dick did it all...rods, customs, fabrication, body, paint, teaching, Public relations and TV broadcasting. Condolences to his family and legions of friends.

He didn't post much here, but his postings on Facebook were a who's who, and a how-to of traditional wisdom. His optimistic spirit online belied the setbacks he faced over the past several years. As he became sidelined in a wheelchair, he became obsessed with sharing the best previously unseen collection of traditionally built rod and custom on the web, photos from him and his friends.

Dick was in the process of restoring the equally legendary Jimmy Summers '40 Merc convertible.

http://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-cars/summers-merc-part1/

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    HEMI32 likes this.
  13. Spedley

Spedley

Yup. RIP Dick.

14. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

15. Godspeed Mr. Page.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. He was one of the real hot rod guys. And, a nice man. Godspeed, sir.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to his family, friends and fans

18. verde742

verde742

what was his health issues? related to exposure to body work?

19. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I watched Cruzin' Northwest every Saturday morning from the first to the last and it seemed that most any event that you'd go to there'd be his bitchen '32! Condolences to his family; he will be sorely missed.

20. Dick Page \'41 Ford.jpg
    Dick Page
    August 11, 1941 - June 12, 2015

kidcampbell71 and hotrd32 like this.
  21. Rest In Peace, Mr Page.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear this, Godspeed Mr. Page. Never meet the man, but always enjoyed updates on him in print. Loved the looks of his '32 tudor, always seemed like it would be a real fun ride. Condolences to the family.

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sorry to hear this. It seems like I just made a donation to the motorized wheelchair fund for Dick. Things happen too fast anymore; this grey hair thing causes too many problems. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

25. verde742

verde742

Pretty Kool picture,

didn't realize her was confined to chair.

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

A keeper of the flame.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

28. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Condolences to friends and family and may he RIP.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Sorry to hear this, I always liked his sedan. My condolences to his family and friends.

30. sad news, heard about this last Saturday... rest in peace Dick.. Got to meet him and spend a whole afternoon at his house awhile back... What a great spirit , and loved hearing his stories of the early days of Hot Rods and Customs here in Tacoma, and else were.. As a young kid I was amazed seeing Dick running around the Tacoma in the 32 Tudor. My condolences to his family and friends...God Bless you Dick