Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods carb prices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2OLD2FAST, Jun 11, 2015.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Been looking at replacing my 450-list 9776 holley's , seems the going rate is $320 & up !! I remember about 8 years ago you could buy these for $ 189 everywhere. I know there's been inflation , but , WOW , that's one hell of an increase !! Did they start making them out of gold or something ????
    dave

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

All I can say is that it's a good thing you weren't shopping for a Stromberg 97.

jkeesey, 40fordtudor and 56don like this.
  3. not sure on the Holley , but i was told by a Edelbrock factory guy at a show that a lot of those cheap prices you'd see from Summit or Jegs on their carbs was basically a loss leader for them..and that they were going to take steps to discourage that. that may force prices up for all sellers?

4. 8 years ago you say... @189.00...I remember selling Holly 3310s for 79.95.but that was in the 60s

Model T1 likes this.

5. F&J

F&J

No, the fact is that the US dollar has crashed, and we don't know it

Roger53, Saxman, 73RR and 2 others like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if only we could go back 8 years and buy a lot of stuff, and then sell it today for a big profit.

X38, INVISIBLEKID and Model T1 like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Me too, and 1850s for 49.95. They were a loss leader even back then. "Would you like a manifold, air cleaner, fuel pump & hoses with that Sir?" :)

8. Like F&J said, the dollar just ain't what it used to be. Its going to get worse because they are still printing them like there is no tomorrow.

9. Agreed, carbs are crazy expensive now, but people are still willing to pay, just like gas.

I remember trying to find a Holley 2 bbl for my 72 F100 just after the economy crashed and it looked like Holley was going under. The shitty no-name remans were pulling a premium. Thems was hard times, son. ::::dabs forehead off with hanky, stares wistfully at sunset::::

10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Wish my SS[social security] would infate like holleys' price !!
    dave

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

"Back in the day," every kid who owned a car wanted to put a Holley on it. And Holley sold a bunch of carburetors. They could sell a bunch at lower prices.
    Nowadays, ask the kid behind counter about carbs and he gives you a blank stare. I went to Advance Auto near my house a couple of years ago to see what kind of carbs they had in stock. My buddy, who is my age, was with a customer, so I asked a younger guy behind counter about what they had and he couldn't answer my questions. But to his credit, he did say, "Sir, maybe it would help if you came back and looked for yourself." He took me to the carburetors so I could see what they had. Meanwhile, my buddy finished with his customer and came back to join us, saying, "Getting schooled on carburetors, eh?"
    And the kid said, "Oh, no, I don't know anything about them." and my friend said, "That's what I meant! YOU are the one getting schooled!"

Model T1 likes this.
  12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I remember buying a 780 cfm Holley in the early 80's for $179.00 I think. Couldn't get it right---it either stalled or blew gas under the hood all over the place. I can do NOTHING with Holleys. Used it for a doorstop for awhile and a friend bought it for $50.00. The next time I saw it, it was under the hood of a 33 Chevy cpe. I asked him what he did to it and he said "not much". End of inquiry. Lesson learned. Now it's 2013 and I buy a 600 Street Avenger---talk about old age memory loss.

13. 117harv

117harv

A few more $$$ then they were ten years ago is a cause for concern when if used as intended will cost you thousands? I have often thought about what is there, a 100 or so pieces and most are machined, I feel they are very reasonable for the work/parts involved...jmo.

14. Phil1934

Phil1934

15. Model T1

Model T1

I just wished my body could go back 8 years ago. :rolleyes:

INVISIBLEKID and 56don like this.
  16. There is a pair of NOS 9776's on Evilbay for 200 with free shipping....(not mine)

17. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I have milk crates FULL of quadra junks, your choice 5$. At every swap meet I get the "you can get those to run good" guys talking and talking. haven't sold one in years.....
    I drag them around out of spite...o_O

18. Zandoz

Zandoz

I hear ya! I'm in need of a 390 cfm Holley for my 6cyl, and even the rebuilts are beyond my budget. I'm probably going to end up with a rebuilt 2G on an adapter.

19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Not necessarily...

Look into Autolite 2Vs. They can be had for stupid cheap - yes, I've bought many for $5 - and are WAAAAY better than a Holley 2V in my opinion. Easier to rebuild, easier to service, easier to tune.

To show that I'm just not talkin-the-talk here's a couple setups on my junk:

My 13-second '33 Willys

[​IMG]

From my 11-second RPU

[​IMG]

20. finn

finn

Aftermarket carbs were a tiny part of Holley's business back in the 60s 70s and well into the 80s when they were an oem fuel system supplier to Detroit and the truck/ag / construction / marine equipment industries.

Dieselization of the industrial equipment market and 100% conversion of automobiles and marine to fuel injection took away 99% of their market and drove them into bankruptcy (I think twice), and drove the fixed cost per unit sold in the remaining, relatively tiny aftermarket higher, so I, for one, wonder how they stay in business at all.

They are a classic example of a company that failed to lead and embrace change in their industry and as a result, they fell by the wayside.

Buggy whip manufacturers were their role model

arkiehotrods likes this.
  21. fatkoop

fatkoop

I'm totally shocked we can still find any carbs or parts at all. When was the last carb used in a production car? 30+ years ago? We are a small group of people living way in the past on almost every car-related level. Just the way I like it.

Ned Ludd and arkiehotrods like this.
  22. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I never pay over $40 for a holley 4bbl. For under $100(including rebuild kit) and some elbow grease you should be able to build anything you want.

Why the hell do you guys buy new?

BTW I've never owned a daily without a holley 4bbl

23. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Be glad you don't need a special Holly modified for a race car.
    I got a smoking hot deal on my Braswell through Roush/Yates because I bought a Racing engine from them. I know a guy that gets $3500 for a short track Holly. My Braswell works so much better than my off the shelf 850HP-DP.
    I'm glad they still make new carburetors.

24. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I hear this all the time and it is an easy thing to buy into. However, the US Dollar is stronger now than at any time in the last 12 years. 2001-2008 saw it weaken significantly but it has been strengthening ever since.

Inflation is the issue and even there it is at 'norms' for much of the last 50 years.

Just added 6 new 97s to the coupe this year....NOT cheap.

25. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

For that kind of coin i'd sink 1k into a bunch of swap meet carbs, $30 into drills and dremels and make one. Oh and sink the other $2470 into a worn out mill just so i could modify stuff easier than using a hand drill

26. stimpy

stimpy

the dollar is still low in buying power and also Holley is changing some of there casting and options on some of them and now they have some competition ( QFT) and like said the OEm side is dead . no they are strictly a Aftermarket company ,
    like When ACF ( carter) sold the rights for the AFB off to Federal Mogul as they saw the light at the end of the tunnel and got out of the carb business in 85 and then F-M sold the rights to Edelbrock . F-M still made the AVS style carbs in the early 2000's but I haven't seen any recently

as for the carb question whats wrong with your old carb?? they basically are non wear items ( other than floats , needle seats and some jets ) many used ones I pick up are because the person will not take the time to read the instructions when they buy them ( set the floats ) or take time to write down the specs when they tune on them so they have something to work off of and wind up tuning in a circle ( redo a tune that didn't work because they cant remember what they did or didn't do ) ( keep a note book in the tool box with your engine tune specs !! its easier to see than trying to remember 6 months and many beers back )

27. Zandoz

Zandoz

If I could find TV cable linkage to work with a 700R4, a Motorcraft/Autolite 2V would be at the top of my Holley 390 substitute list

28. Zandoz

Zandoz

In my case there is no old carb...I would think not an uncommon situation. I've got a late '80s engine that came with fuel injection, and tangled in electronics, wires and hoses. I'm freeing it from the tangle, and taking it back to an old school look. For that I need a carb.

29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

There's nothing "operationally" wrong w/ the carbs , in fact they work perfectly , they just look like shit & painting them looks phoney & replating is as much as new ones !!
    dave

30. 73RR

73RR

You're a hot-rodder...make what you need.

gimpyshotrods likes this.