Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Leroi Tex Smith.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTFR8, Jun 11, 2015.

1. That's the one. I've read every article I found on this car over the years.

2. R.I.P. Tex.....

3. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Sad News!
    Another great hotrod guy gone!
    RIP

4. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I have been advised the Funeral will be held here in Castlemaine on the 17th at Mt Alexander Funerals
    > http://www.mountalexanderfunerals.com/ at 1-30 pm. If you intend to attend and own a Hot Rod please drive it as a mark of respect to Tex.

After the service Castlemaine Rods will have a lite lunch.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    BONNEVILLE BOB 95 likes this.
  5. Tex had an enormous influence on our hobby. He had the ability to simplify seemingly complex projects - and the gift to be able to describe his processes in a simple manner
    His writing challenged and encouraged you to get out in the garage and try
    Rest in Peace Tex -
    Thank you for your contributions to our great passion of hot rods

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Sad news.. Like the rest of you I read and reread everything I ever saw his name attached to, he had a very cool and casual style and I would always learn something.
    Bought most of his how to books, my how to build real hot rods and how to chop tops books are damn near wore out..
    Have almost all his HRMx issues too, was a proud day indeed when he featured my first build in it..
    He will be missed.

7. spooler41

spooler41

I followed Tex's writings most of my life , always enjoyed his work and
    tech offerings . RIP, Tex, fair winds and clear sailing be with you.

............................ Jack

8. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I was never fortunate enough to meet him. However I felt like I knew him through his writing. I have most of HRMx issues as well as several books written by him. He will be missed as most everyone has noted! RIP Tex

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Godspeed Tex. The man was larger than life to me. My favorite story of his ,written in one of the old mags; is how he built his 1st '34 3W in Idaho...middle of winter chopping it, ran a howling old McCoulgh "cream seperator" blower on a 21 stud...GREAT stuff. Might have to dig it out and reread it for the upteenth time; in his honor. I am proud to have met him one time at Hershey, a real regular guy...still will always be larger than life, to me;RIP

10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Very sad to hear this. Since I was a kid, I loved his stories about his many, many project cars like the "Walter P. Chrysler" (what happened to his 1916 Olds touring he got back in the late '60s?) and his Vintage Tin tales in both R&C and Rod Action. If I'd ever met him I would have told him he was the Mark Twain of hot rod writing.

11. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

He was a great man. RIP "Tex"

12. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Read a lot of Texs storys in study hall and you know what? His knowledge has carried me further, than all the crap I learned in Hi School. See ya later Tex Don in N. W. Indiana

13. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Rest in peace sir. Your books were and continue to be an inspiration to me and countless others. Your love of the hobby was immense and the rodding world is emptier now with your passing.

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Met Tex when he started writing for HOT ROD. We traded lies and emails over the years along with flyfishing stories. He put me in touch with Wendall Jordon so I could get a Rocky Mountain Roadster club jacket. I will miss him. IMG_0048.JPG

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

RIP TEX..I always wondered why he moved to the land down under?

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

RIP Tex and Thanks for all you shared with us.

17. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

After his first Wife Peggy passed away he married an Australian. After 911, a misdemeanor conviction from her youth kept her from re-entering the US, so he moved to Oz. He still spent summers here until recently. I will miss him.

18. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

RIP Tex. You will be missed.

19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I MET TEX ONE TIME AND HE WAS THE BACK BONE OF OUR HOBBY. 698.png

20. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

He will join a lot of friends in his new garage and maybe do a little more fishing with Tom. A true Legend in my lifetime as I grew up reading his publications and articles. I wrote several book reviews of his publications and learned something new from all of them. He was one of the best.

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I discovered car magazines and Tex at the same time in the early sixties, and since then I've always been delighted at finding his byline on an article. He was one of the 4 or 5 greats in my pantheon of early magazine gurus.
    Thank you and RIP.
    Bruce

warbird1 and pitman like this.
  22. A sad day indeed. I met Tex in about 1964 when he was the NHRA Car Club coordinator. I will miss him greatly.

Rest In Peace Tex.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Rip Tex, read a ton of your articles growing up...

24. pitman

pitman

Could not agree more! Sad to hear of his passing. Tex was one of a kind, an inspiring writer of our craft.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  25. olskl_dave

olskl_dave

A true "Hot rodding icon". I have read (and own)many of his "how to" books and had the privilege of meeting and speaking with him at Chopped 2013.
    Condolences to his family and friends.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

26. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

His book "How To Build Real Hot Rods" has been an enormous source of knowledge and information to me. Sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family. R.I.P.

27. Tex seemed like such a likable guy even if you never met him; loved his writing style and low-buck builds,; a true hotrodder. Prayers to his family.

28. brad2v

brad2v

I was certainly one of those kids. And he was kind enough to chat hot rods with a wide-eyed 12 year old kid at a rod run decades ago, and autograph "How to Build Real Hot Rods". Thanks for everything you contributed Tex.

29. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

He was a special guy. Godspeed.

30. DRD57

DRD57