Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vintage Pics from NJ Track, Lyndwood Welding, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspwr, Jun 11, 2015.

1. oldspwr

oldspwr

My neighbor stopped by the garage a few weeks back and brought some pics along. He believes he took them in the late 50's (probably early 60's) at track in NJ. I recognize the Lnydwood Welding name. Can anyone identify the location, maybe Island Dragway or Englishtown?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

No idea on the track, but isn't that Albert the Alligator from the POGO comic strip painted (not all that well) on the insert? Gary
    [​IMG]

ClayMart likes this.
  3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Don`t know anything about it but looks like it was a fun day for your friend.

4. Mark T

Mark T

Its not Englishtown, could it be Allentown?

The Lee's Auto Body Shop Dragster looks like it may be from PA. but its hard to make out the lettering on the car.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015

5. Roger53

Roger53

Now thats some great pictures thanks for posting.

6. oldspwr

oldspwr

I took a hard look at the original pic and it looks like Lee's Auto Body Shop was from Forty Forty which is near Wilkes Barre, PA

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great photos, Thanks for posting them. That Lyndwood rail is the early style with the straight up rollbar, someone will ID it I'm sure. Bob

8. oldolds

oldolds

Not Allentown. OP stated NJ. I have never been to ATCO. Is that a possibility? Close enough to Fourty Fort to be a possibility.

9. J. Clear

J. Clear

With what looks to be hills in the background, I don't think it's Atco or Englishtown. It's pretty flat around here.

J.

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

My guess is it's Island Dragway which is not far from the PA. border with N.J. and they have similar looking mountains like the ones in the photo's.
    Island Dragway was also known as Great Meadows year ago when those photo's would have been taken.
    Jimbo

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

12. Yea, That's what I was thinking. Northern NJ. (they got some hills up there.) :)

13. Most of them are from Island.

14. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

There were short-lived drag strips in Flemington and Manville in NJ. Probably around 1962. And at some time there was drag racing in Forty Fort, PA. Maybe around 1960. There was a dragster chassis builder in Wilkes-Barre, PA, named Pat Bilbow (sp?). Don't know if he was Lynwood. At one time he ran a rail with two nailheads. Saw it at Island its first time out. Never got it running well enough to make a pass. And he sold a chassis to Matt Herbert of Metuchen, NJ, who ran a nailhead. He ran Island and other tracks. Bilbow and Herbert were friends so if Lynwood was in fact Bilbow, Herbert would likely put that name on his dragster. So the pictured dragster could have been either Herbert or Bilbow or ?. Just my $.02

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Pat Bilbow was Lyndwood Welding. Lyndwood is a section of Wilkes-Barre, Pa. were his shop was located. His son Bob still runs the shop and is a HAMB Member. Bob

16. ;) Well it sure ain't Howland Owl... Good to see someone else appreciates the fine art of Walt Kelly. :cool: