Register now to get rid of these ads!

Echlin MA-5 MA-7 Cap / Rotor for Mallory Discontinued?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppedsled, Jun 11, 2015.

1. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

After running my Mallory YC with points and condenser for 3 years, I've decided to do a pertronix conversion. Trying to find another usable old brass Mallory condenser is next to impossible, and I'm not that swift at setting dual points correctly in the shop much less on the road.

So I purchased an Ignitor I unit thinking it would just be a matter of pulling the points and dropping in the unit. But, it requires shielded wire? I've heard yes / no from different sources. So there go's the vintage cloth solid core with Raja's? And if so I've been told I can't run the carbon core wires in the old 2 piece cap, the spikes will damage the wire core and lead to wire failures.

So then it seems I'm stuck running the suppressor wire with the replacement 1 piece cap from NAPA. So I reluctantly head down to buy / order a cap and rotor and the parts guy said the M5 cap and M7 rotor are no longer being made. Non showing in stock anywhere.

Now what? Go with the solid core in my old cap, or the carbon?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I've successfully used carbon core wires on mine sine 1987.
    They're even 8mm, just ran a sharp new drill bit through the top cap's 7mm holes to enlarge them. They do deteriorate at the spike, but it's slow.

3. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Well, I tossed it together with the solid cores in place. It's running perfect for now. I may swap in the carbon cores in the near future but I'm kinda split 50/50 on which to run.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!