Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mental Patient F-600

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R.Otto, Jun 10, 2015.

1. R.Otto

R.Otto

First off this isn't my truck just a truck I'm doing for a customer. I just think it's super cool so I figured I'd share the part of the build I've been summoned to take care off.

The truck at hand is a 1950 Ford F-600. This was an actually barn find. Because it came from a barn a real barn on a farm...weird right? The truck was purchased by a farmer ( hence the farm, where the barn was located) from the lovely State of New Jersey (my home state) in the late 1960's, it was retired from its duties from the Trenton Mental Hospital and slightly modified for farm use but really not to modified all that was done is it was turned into a dump truck not a far stray from a transporter. Now the seriously young 17 year that owns the truck now bought it running and driving from the farmer in early 2014 and he quickly bit off more than he can chew by blasting it into pieces to completely restore it. After the mechanics was all settled by 2015 his body work fund was shriveled like a raisin and in know possibly way could he afford a full resto on the body.
    So I step in and suggest he just preserve what he has here cause it's damn cool. So know I'm just clearing over the body and old paint and rust. I think it's patina and I know it's super hip now a days so my man here will be scooping up all the ladies looking trendy in this patina beast.
    But I figured I'd share because in my opinion it's cool as hell.
    If you hate it cool it's America your entitled to your opinion. If your a hire up here and hate it delete my post. But if you think it rules let me know I'll be posting pictures up daily.

2. R.Otto

R.Otto

3. R.Otto

R.Otto

Here's some shots of me washing all that vintage barn find dirt off I saved as much as I can in some bags for my TROG build. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433996825.663002.jpg

4. R.Otto

R.Otto

5. R.Otto

R.Otto

As you can observe the subject appears to be in solid condition. And it is for the most part I think this find was cool as hell for $600
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433996885.532252.jpg

6. R.Otto

R.Otto

Simple green is environmentally friendly and cleans well. Do your part people, reduce, reuse, recycle.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433997046.345944.jpg

7. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I'm a Chevy guy and ordinarily I don't appreciate "patina". But I LOVE F1's and especially the '48-'50's. The doors alone on this one make it cool as hell. The only thing that would make those doors more cool would be if they read, "State Mental Hospital"!!

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

8. R.Otto

R.Otto

Cleaned up super good left no residue and didn't damage any of the O.G. Paint that a win for me.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433997209.926737.jpg

9. R.Otto

R.Otto

I wish it read that in the doors and I really dislike the patina trend but I couldn't possibly paint over the original doors it's a little piece of garden state mental illness history. I'll be posting more tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it!

10. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Posted before your last photos showed up. How about a scrub down with CLR and a light kitchen sponge type 3M pad? Yeah, it'll remove most of the surface rust but it'll expose what's left of the original paint and that is very cool; to me at least!

11. R.Otto

R.Otto

I'm going to try that in an inconspicuous spot tomorrow thanks for the idea!

12. R.Otto

R.Otto

Ordered adhesive promoter and clear will be clearing some parts today I'll post as I go

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Wow, a rot-free northeastern truck. Who'da thunk it?

14. R.Otto

R.Otto

Minimal rot to say the least super solid jealous it's not mine

15. R.Otto

R.Otto

Here goes nothing first shot before clear adhesive promoter applied hope it looks cool

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434062537.895418.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434062549.956769.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434062559.490754.jpg

16. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Please excuse me here. I grew up in a family of racers.
    I am not a patina type person. I think the word is gay. I'm also not a care taker. I use and abuse MY stuff. I do like preserving old things as they are if possible.
    This is about my favorite truck here on the Hamb.
    I like naming my cars, trucks and cycles but the name has to come from the vehicle's character.
    Mental Patient is Perfect. I love it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I'm a Chevy guy and ordinarily I don't appreciate "patina". But I LOVE F1's and especially the '48-'50's. The doors alone on this one make it cool as hell. The only thing that would make those doors more cool would be if they read, "State Mental Hospital"!!

Dan, that would FREEK OUT the other Jersey motorist
    Probably why they just put State Hospital
    I would bet a buck that "Trenton" tells all

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. R.Otto

R.Otto

Thank you. I myself am not a patina guy I think original paint is awesome I think original surface rust is lazy. But as this truck goes the budget isn't there for a full blown restoration on the body and I cannot bring myself to sand off the hand lettering on the doors it's not every day you find an original work truck from a nut house.

19. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Cool truck. I'm one of those guys that generally dislikes patina, but I'm also a militant defender of original paint. I'm subscribed...

But FYI, Simple Green is the last thing you should be using to clean steel, especially high-stength steels, as it can cause mild to severe hydrogen embrittlement. It is also corrosive to aluminum and anodizing. That is why it is absolutely forbidden in the aircraft industry (I'm an Aircraft Mechanic). CLR is good though.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. R.Otto

R.Otto

Wish you got to me earlier haha but I only used it on the doors I was afraid anything to harsh would ruin the hand lettering I'll CLR the cab fenders and hood

21. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Very cool truck! Im shocked anything lasted that long in the NE rust free. The fact that it was farm truck probably saved it from road salt.

22. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

On the simple green
    WOW, I have been using simpe green on my motorcycles and race cars sense the stuff came out, tires, bare aluminum, paint everything.
    Never have I seen any trace of oxidation
    On any bare metal or aluminum. I'm pretty picky about taking good care of the cycles and race cars.
    I'm going to look into this. Time for a new product like CLR

23. R.Otto

R.Otto

It's some clear ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434070893.586304.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. R.Otto

R.Otto

25. R.Otto

R.Otto

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm thinking a flattened clear would have looked better than gloss...my .02 cents

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  27. R.Otto

R.Otto

Not my truck not my choice

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

The biggest problem with it is you can't see the embrittlement. We did a (non-scientific) test at work where we soaked a high strength drive-shaft bolt in simple green overnight. Torqued it down and the head snapped off. I'm not an engineer, or a chemist, so I can't really explain it, but Simple Green does something to metal on a molecular level that makes it as brittle as a saltine cracker...

slack likes this.
  29. R.Otto

R.Otto

That's like shitty but so cool at the same time....science rules

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Just a little question;
    But will this be a pick truck or a "real man's truck" truck (think full size rig) ?