Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mercury flathead cylinder head question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 22rdstrguy, Jun 10, 2015.

1. 22rdstrguy

22rdstrguy

Never mind found it!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

from the PDF of head CCs and comp ratios I have,
    EAB are 71cc and Cacm are 76cc so yeh go with the EABs.
    hey just saw you found it. ! you owe me five minutes labour charge!

3. 22rdstrguy

22rdstrguy

Thanks for the info and your time lowsquire, I suddenly realized that C8CM is just a Canadian version of the 8CM head (well DUH!...man can I be a 'tard sometimes!) But on the other hand I did manage to score a set of 8BA heads not 30 minutes later for free! from what I understand that will up it from the 6.4 to 6.8 so I guess I'll get them milled .050-.060 to pick up a little more compression to about the EAB's 7.2 compression

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There are two different C8CM heads, actually...the -A is iron, 82-84 CC like the American, the -B is aluminum, 76-77.
    The smallets Canadian head for your rig would be the C8BA 69.5--70.5...so there's some neat stuff up there below all the ice...keep digging!

5. 22rdstrguy

22rdstrguy

I knew about the C8CM-B heads being aluminum the guy that gave me the 8BA heads has a set of C8CM-B heads on his '51 Victoria.
    So Canadian my next question is, aka C8BA heads have less ccs than American heads?
    Just asking because from the chart below the American 8BA heads are 76cc so I am figuring that the Canadian are the same , just noted with a "C"
    Flathead Compression ratios.jpg

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Generally, Canadian iron heads were the same as USA ones and the aluminum ones were higher compression. I've got a chart from an old Canadian bulletin listing nearly all USA and Canadian heads, giving CC's and rating them by compression ratio for both 221 and 239 applications.
    The aluminum Canadian heads are fairly common for pre-1949, scarce after that.