Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration TJR lifetime memberships

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Jun 3, 2015.

1. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

I am an early riser and was lucky enough to get a lifetime subscription on the first go around. I think it was a very good deal (for me). That is a heck of an obligation to print a magazine and mail to me for the next 1-25 years, I 'm 65 and being optimistic . It cost $1000 to get a lifetime membership to the NRA and their magazine isn't nearly as good.
    Thank you TRJ.

2. I managed to snag one... For the first hour, both the phone lines and 'net were jammed and I was about to give up.. but tried one last time on the 'net... Success!

Look at the bright side boys; if this had been a 'in person' deal, somebody would have no doubt gotten trampled to death. The only things hurt here was some feelings and some electronics abuse....

I do need to call them... I was so excited at getting into the system that I didn't proofread my order too well and misspelled my street name.

3. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

I also was in a hurry and ordered a shirt that might be one size to small.. But if I keep working out I might be able to pull it off as a belly shirt haha..

I have to admit I started calling and refreshing the net at 11 through 12 est... Figure I had missed out I just didn't couldn't see how..

I can't imagine how many calls and hits their site took on at 8am..

I feel extremely lucky that I was able to get in on the deal this second time when I figured I would try a few last times on the road to the next job.. About ran in the ditch when it let me add the subscription to the cart..

I renewed my subscription for two years when I missed out on the first one..

I am going to contact them and see if I can give my two year subscription to an older local guy I have looked up to for long long time and has helped me a ton in the past few years..

4. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

I was on the countdown this morning too and at the stroke of 0800 pacific time (I live in the central time zone), I was eagerly ready to take advantage of a missed opportunity from the first go around.
    Right off the bat.....Rat farts, double rat farts!, the damn error message kept coming up along with "sold out". After at least 40 phone calls and nowhere on the crashed RJ website, I waved the white flag and gave up after 40 minutes! I then had a client family come into the office and spent time with them and once finished, I went into my office at 11:30 central time to refresh the page just to see if there could indeed be a rare glimmer of hope....wait, could it be??? the site was fixed and lifetime memberships were still available?? YES!!!! Since I was still logged in, I couldn't hit that little checkout button fast enough and am now a member of the Royal Order of Lifetime Rodders Journal Subscription Club!

And to top it off, the electricians finally showed up unannounced today to take care of a few things here at work from a work order they've had for the last two months! Life was good today!

5. Congrats on all new life members. Unfortunately we here down under should have been awake at midnight (Wednesday/Thursday) in order not to miss out again. Anyway I will definitely renew my TRJ subscription as a combo with the HAMB alliance on an annual basis.

6. primed34

primed34

I tried from eight to eleven thirty their time on both the internet and by phone and never got thru.
    My gripe is they could have better prepared to take orders. I have had a subscription for over fifteen years and got all the other issues years ago. I knew it would be a crap shoot on getting a lifetime, but damn that was frustrating.

7. That was exactly my thought. I mean from a customer perspective it’s a great thing. Lifetime membership for just $200 – wow. But what’s in for them? Why are they doing it? Is pure generosity? Yes they increase their number of subscriptions, or at least have a couple of hundred subscribers for the coming year (actually until the end of life of TRJ) but these lifetime subscribers do not generate annual revenue. Their subscription revenue has brought forward to this fiscal year. I hope they can compensate this revenue in the coming years from new/additional subscribers and wish TRJ a long and healthy life. I will definitely renew my subscription with them every year as I appreciate the excellent work and one of the best hot rod magazines on the market (beside JJ). Fingers crossed that print is not dead at all.

8. Biggety_B

Biggety_B

If someone were a bit paranoid they might believe this was a sort of "going out of business" sale bc of the cost concern you mention combined with the intentionally poor customer service. Having technical issues when a product initially goes on sale isnt uncommon but this was the second time and quite a few steps beyond that. In today's day and age not having call waiting or extra help on standby for these occasions is unacceptable and unfair to customers. In-store the line waits but online the retailer should (and usually does) delay things a few days to keep everything fair.

It'll be interesting to see how TRJ responds to the folks like myself who emailed and/or left messages for them long before they were sold out. They're either going to be heroes or zeroes.

9. "A HAMB shift knob in the hand is better than a TRJ subscription in the bush."
    As a faithful TRJ annual subscriber, my only beef is that the ordering process was FUBAB! Apparently, they learned zip from the first go-around.
    Thanks, Ryan, for having your shit together with the shift knob offering.

10. saltracer219

saltracer219

Well like most of the rest of you I was on the phone at exactly 8 a.m. Got the busy signal on both lines and after several tries on the redial got a message in on both lines and left a number, but that was as far as I got, after that it was "mail box full". I would be really supprised if I got a call back.......

11. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got to work early this morning and was logged in on the web site and ready to go, I stared at the screen for three mins while watching the count down. At 8 am I started trying but kept getting the error message. I tried till 8:30 and then finally got the page to load and it said sold out. I just figured it was sold out right away. I never even thought that it might just be the web site crashing.
    Oh well. I am glad I at least tried :)
    Would have been so cool to get it.

12. 80WTI

80WTI

My rant on this matter, I think they have most people's details on the computer and it would of been great to see them offer the deal to us loyal customer first, up until 2011 i had every issue of the journal but we had a flood that wiped out my collection when the water came up over the roof, so over the last couple of years i have slowly built up my collection of The Rodders Journal still requiring a few to complete it and also along the way adding some t shirts, garage signs, plaques and box sets. After making 160+ calls with 4 ringing and then going to message bank i was sent a message from my phone provider that i have gone over my international call usage and am being charged $87.50 on top of my standard bill.
    I think the majority on this site are loyal buyers of the book and probably have most issues but i bet there was a lot of guys jumped on the deal for a money spinner and we will soon see the shirts and key chain and plaque on flebay for a massive mark up and to me that is not really offering a thankyou to your loyal customers, in a business sense if i owned a massive parts store and i had a customer spending megga dollars with me yearly and a random guy that bought a tire shine off me once in a blue moon i know which guy's back i would scratch when it came time to invite for a Christmas party, but at the end of the day what the Rodders Journal has offered is a great deal and i take my hat off to you guys, thanks for the great read.

13. 80WTI

80WTI

Also forgot to add i had 6 screens up on my computer refreshing them all the time as well, but that still didn't help. sorry for the rant.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The zeros are not going to be TRJ. They are a class act, always have been.
    The zeros are going to be the ones who just can't get the sour grapes out of their mouths and will most likely choke on them.

15. belair

belair

^^^^^ It's not the end of the world. I've missed out on better deals than this and survived. It's a magazine subscription, not a liver or kidney transplant.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  16. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Ok I'm trying to be cool about this lifetime deal. I couldn't get through either time, phone, website nothing worked. Do I like this magazine? I have every issue, bought and paid for by me. My buddy, who has never bought a single issue, now has a lifetime subscription. He thinks it's funny........I don't so much. I'm sorry TRJ, just can't help feeling like I've just been shit on.

17. What part of subscription drives do people not understand? Promotions like these are not so long standing subscribers can get a deal and not have to pay anymore it is so new interest is generated in the magazine. If the only people who got the deal were current subscribers there would be zero point in TRJ doing this and it would reduce their revenue not increase it. The only thing they owe their readers is a quality product which they do in spades.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I totally get this reaction and think it's natural to feel that way. All I want people to know is that I know for a fact that TRJ did the best they could with this deal. For obvious reasons, they couldn't just sell as many as demand dictated... and they had no idea what demand would be.

At the end of the day, they probably should have charged around $350... But hindsight is 20/20.

In any case, I'm beginning to sound like a shill for TRJ and should probably stop posting. For what it's worth though, know this - the people at TRJ are good folks. They have their hearts in the right places. They did the very best they could given the circumstances.

turboroadster and 5window like this.
  19. Sure is fun to read all the rants here...At my age.a lifetime membership in anything would be foolish mistake on my part....I dont even buy green bananas..

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    LTM75110, Hamtown Al, RICH B and 5 others like this.
  20. 40Vert

40Vert

Disaapointed to miss out on the lifetime and the constant refreshing, but TRJ is still the best. Looking forward to the 25th anniversary specials in 4-5 years!

21. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

I hum & hod about this deal....$300. US comes now close to $400. Cdn....BUT....wait a minute, this is the best in Hot Rodding Mag by far, and I re-new my subscriptions every year. It is the only one I buy....I love it, so since I turned 70, who cares about a few bucks....I wanted in...and GOT IT. I pray they will be around for a long time and they have my support.

22. I just wish I was 18 again.:D

belair likes this.
  23. 5window

5window

I've been 18 for 3.67 times now. Looking forward to the next time in 6 years. :)

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Funny ---- my 89-year-old grandma used that very same line when asked if she wanted insurance on her new cell phone. The sales person busted up laughing. Of course, her answer was 'no' to the insurance. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Thanks Nick,,,,never under estimate the words of wisdom from an old geezer...If it were up to me,I'd give them my cell phone back,its worthless..But my daughter sent it to me so she can check up on me,,LOL

Malcolm likes this.
  26. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Gee I never received the Email offer been a subscriber since issue number one this kind of sucks! Heard about this on Monday from one of those lucky winners. Not very happy with the Journal at the moment ! Oh well

27. WWinIL

WWinIL

I was lucky to get in on the first offer last week. Initial offer E-mail from TRJ was right in my in-box. But when TRJ announced they were doing to an extra 400 offers I also received an e-mail. But, this time it was in my spam folder. I've seen several comments where H.A.M.B. members claimed they never got an e-mail. Did anyone ever check their spam folder(s)?

28. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I'm 18 with 50 years of experience......:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. papajohn

papajohn

I upped my Rod and Custom subscription to 3 yrs about a week before they went under. Hopefully TRJ is around for at least 5 more years, otherwise all you guys bragging about your lifetime subscriptions are going to feel pretty silly.

I did try both times, was willing to take the gamble, but was too late 1st go round and even though I tried 10 minutes into the second round, website already said sold out.

30. I for one just wanted to say I am sure it sucks to have missed this great offer put out by the best Hot Rod mag out there. Some times we get lucky and some times we miss out and luck passes us by.
    I thought it was outstanding what they did to offer up the additional member ships after they seen what went down the first time around. I am sure that if they had it all to do over it would go a lot better as we all learn from our errors.
    The RJ is the best ride out there and still a great deal for it's yearly rates. I received the e-mail from them about the added chances and planed on returning home at 8:00 there time to try and sign up. At my shop working on my 3 window time got away from me and my lovely wife called me around 8:30 Cal time and ask if I had for got about doing the RJ sign up. DAM! Ran home and logged on and got signed up the very first try. Told the wife it must be my lucky day.......Thanks to her and thanks to RJ for a second chance...