Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. FuelComet

FuelComet

Thought this would be the best place to post a couple photos of my brother and I's recreation of Jack Chrisman's 64 Comet. More to come. Comet.jpg Comet2.jpg

2. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Nice, looking forward to more..................Al

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Beautiful Recreation!! I get told many times by people that say they have links to the 64,not realizing it morphed into the 65!! I have told I was full of it,I'm a liar,etc.!! It is great to see a recreation of that iconic COMET!!! ROY.

4. FuelComet

FuelComet

Thanks! You're right Roy the 64 no longer exists, well it's the 64 with 65 sheet metal and fiberglass. A lot of research and money went into this car, even a blessing from Lana Chrisman. Want to show the younger generation what drag racing was like in its heyday. Mark

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

loudbang, powrshftr and ec164 like this.
  5. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

What a great recreation! Post more pictures! Soon!
    Jack sent me a picture of his 1964 A/FX car back in about '74 when I was building my '64. ( the first time) I will scan it and post it here in the near future.

6. FuelComet

FuelComet

Does anyone know the story behind the Trans Dapt ape carrying the cat? Jack's A/FX Comet just had the Ape, no cat. IMG_0063 (2).JPG

7. FuelComet

FuelComet

Moving the shock towers before and after. iPhone 002 (768x1024).jpg IMG_1090.JPG

fiveoh108, 65COMET and ec164 like this.
  8. FuelComet

FuelComet

Lowered the upper and lower a-arms and used big block mustang springs to achieve the right stance. iPhone 030 (768x1024).jpg IMG_0847.JPG

fiveoh108, ec164 and 65COMET like this.
  9. 65COMET

65COMET

Mark;looks great! As a heads up,many Comet/Falcon owners have broken the strut rods using the poly donuts!! ROY.

10. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Been working on my 64 quite a bit. Hope to have it on the road in a month or so.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433981421.742520.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433981530.610531.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433981467.447433.jpg

11. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Again looks very nice, the finish on shock towers is nice I really like the Blue engine compartment...............Al

12. ec164

ec164
    from MI

13. Great recreation of the Sachs and Sons comet. The shock tower work is awesome.
    Roger

14. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

The shock tower modification looks great! Do you have any pictures of the process? How much did you remove? Did you relocate the upper control arm mounting location? ( I see you made the "Shelby" relocation by lowering the mounting holes, but did you move the mount outwards also?)
    Thanks!
    Jim

15. Christian Bros Racing

Christian Bros Racing

Yes, very nice recreation of the famous blown Chrisman Comet!

Now, I'm still looking for the "other" 64 AFX Comet, the one Shrewsberry inherited.
    If you've got those links Roy, send them my way! ☺

Tapatalk

16. Christian Bros Racing

Christian Bros Racing

Well, a cousin of mine posted this picture just the other day. This is the 4th known picture of that comet.

I'm still looking for this long lost Chrisman - Shrewsberry Comet!

[​IMG]

Tapatalk

17. When my dad restored the 65' Christman car in 83' he found white paint on the roof and Jack told him the story of the 64' car getting rebodied.

18. Christian Bros Racing

Christian Bros Racing

Hey Jim! I don't know if you remember but we chatted back in 2010 about the Sachs & Sons Comets. I can't believe its been that long at this point.
    You were kind enough to talk to your dad about that second Comet, I even shared this story after it happened. :)
    Thanks again, this was very valuable information!

"Hi Aaron,
    The story was that Mercury wanted Chrisman to drive the white 64' AFX car. Chrisman didn't want to drive the car because it was a gas job with a 4 speed and he couldn't because of his legs. I think he got hurt in one of the Howards twin bear dragsters and he told Mercury he couldn't shift the 4 speed. So Chrisman and Fran Hernandez contracted Shrewsberry to drive the white 64' AFX car. Chrisman was a dragster pilot so he built the 64 white car with the blown nitro wedge 427 with a direct drive unit so it was like driving a dragster. This was the begining of the Funny Car. The car was rebodied in 65 and the engine was moved back and it got the new for 65 427 SOHC. The 64 Afx car was basically just a regular AFXer that was sponsered by Sachs & Sons Lincoln Mercury and driven by Bill Shrewsberry. From what my dad said the 2 cars were a totally seperate deal from each other. The Nitro car didn't even have a class to race in and actually ran against some diggers in the early days. This was all about Mercury doing marketing and selling cars. The story about the AFX car going to the ford dealer in Ohio was the exact same story my dad understood. Hope this helps a little but YES there was 2 white 64 comets sponsered by Sachs & Sons Lincoln Mercury.
    Thanks, Jim"

loudbang likes this.
  19. FuelComet

FuelComet

I read a Facebook post on Wild Bill Shrewsberry that he still owns the 64 A/FX. Not sure of an address, somewhere in California I Suppose. Mark

Christian Bros Racing likes this.
  20. Christian Bros Racing

Christian Bros Racing

Yeah, I've been told that by a couple of reliable sources, one of which Bill told him to his face at a car show.
    I don't know though, after Shrewsberry, the car went to Ironton Ohio, to the LM dealership there. Roger Gustin and his brother drove it for them. My dad and Uncle then bought it from the dealership. Dad then sold it to a fellow in eastern KY. I guess there is a chance Wild Bill got it back at some point, but who knows...

Tapatalk

21. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

image.jpeg
    I know it's not a drag car, But this just popped up down the road from our clubhouse....I may have another Comet in my future :)

22. FuelComet

FuelComet

Jim, Should have taken more photos of the process, but unfortunately didn't. Moved the bottom of the shock tower to the flange on the outside of the frame rail, top was moved enough to allow the upper spring mount to remain in the stock location. Upper mounting point was lowered 2". Lower mounting point is still connected to the shock tower brace. Cut out enough from lower mounting bracket to fit the inside of the frame rail. Used stock upper, lower control arms and spindle. Changed the angle on the strut rod mount on the frame to ease the bind. Mark April, 14 2012 031 (600x800).jpg

ec164 likes this.
  23. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Has anyone used the crites headers for a small block 64 comet? I got them and they fit great until I got to the tube that runs beside the oil filter. I put the 90 degree filter renovator on and the tube hits the bolt that holds the adapter on. Wasn't sure if it's a common problem or not. There is a full 2 inches between the outside of the tube and the inside of the shock tower. [ ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434901002.459706.jpg ATTACH=full]2934028[/ATTACH]
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434900979.993409.jpg

Attached Files:

24. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

25. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

26. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

27. thunderplex

thunderplex

Don't know if these qualify. Taken at the Atlanta Drag Festival around 2008?

Attached Files:

dscomet and Maverick Daddy like this.
  28. thunderplex

thunderplex

Another great one, ....taken at same venue.

Attached Files:

dscomet and Maverick Daddy like this.
  29. thunderplex

thunderplex

More pics on the Chrisman Comet... that's all folks!!

Attached Files: