Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Merc went under the torch. "Again"

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Looking good boys! I'll be there tomorrow to inspect your work. ;)

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11178321_10200337532158587_6215370065861714507_n.jpg 11039084_10200337532358592_3893179279559677793_n.jpg

THANK YOU Dustin!!

Dustin and his madmen Kustom crew got the Merc to the SK500. He is a very gifted with the torch. I can't wait to get my plastic Jesus back on the dash and head out for the open road.

Okie Pete, Sancho, gonmad and 2 others like this.
  3. hvychvy

hvychvy

Thanks for all the kind words and trusting me with it Mick. We will get it back on the chopping block this winter!

straykatkustoms likes this.
  4. gonmad

gonmad

Dustin, I am impressed with your skills. Even though I know it was actually your kids that was doing the work!! LoL!
    It was good seeing you last weekend buddy! Let me know if you ever get this direction.

straykatkustoms and hvychvy like this.
  5. hvychvy

hvychvy

Thanks Jimmy, great to see you guys as always!

6. A little late ... but what is your first choice of tools for the weld seam grind down ... along the body reveal/weld repair on the driver's quarter panel ? File, disc, and then some ? I would have been in panic mode not to screw that up. Car's awesome.

7. The quarters turned out great guys! I was able to inspect it Saturday and it definitely looks good!

8. Looked great this weekend Mickey! Awesome job on the repair Dustin! Wish my welding was half as good as yours...but, then again, I'm getting pretty good at evening out warpage with bondo. ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you guys pull out of the hat next. :)

hvychvy and straykatkustoms like this.
  9. hvychvy

hvychvy

I al
    0973848, member: 197955"]A little late ... but what is your first choice of tools for the weld seam grind down ... along the body reveal/weld repair on the driver's quarter panel ? File, disc, and then some ? I would have been in panic mode not to screw that up. Car's awesome.[/QUOTE]
    I usually just use a angle air grinder with 2" roloc discs. I spot weld around 1/4 of the panel, so I have a good reference from the unwelded, and just take my time, so I don't take off too much. Takes a while :), but I work my way around, until it's all welded up. Then I clean it up with the DA and some 180.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This thread puts a big smile on my face!

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11.jpg

After the SK500 the Merc went back to Dustin's to get the Merc put in primer..... She is not done just need to get
    the Merc back on the road for a while. I have a lot of little stuff that we will be changing soon. Thanks Dustin!

0.jpg 11cjpg.jpg 11a.jpg

12. gonmad

gonmad

Looks great Mick! Dustin, you did an awesome job brother!!

hvychvy and straykatkustoms like this.
  13. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mick, why did you get rid of the (Cobra ) wheel combo ? It was the koolest part of your car Man . Just messing with you . I love your Merc and its story . Glad it found its way to your garage so you could return its dignity and style.

14. vwdave30

vwdave30

Looks great really nice job bringing some class back to the merc. Any plan for paint yet?

15. Is the primer grey now? only my opinion but I think it looks better that way than the black.....

Can't wait to seeit in person! :)

Sprout and straykatkustoms like this.
  16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys...She is Primer gray until I decide where we are going next. It was a shock to see her in gray because
    she was black for such a long time. I have a long list of other changes that will be made in the near future and we
    are kicking around Suede or Paint. Color will be a tough decision. I know that it will be kool because Jeff Myers will
    be painting her.

17. Again, just my opinion....... I vote for shiny paint.

drdave and straykatkustoms like this.
  18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The shinier the better! It's a custom, not a hot rod. :D

19. I agree with Jeff doing the paint it seems a shame to even consider suede.

20. Rathbone

Rathbone

You took it from being one of the ugliest Mercury's of all time to being one of the best. Very nice.

drdave, Sancho and straykatkustoms like this.
  21. gonmad

gonmad

Jeff doesn't know how to spray suede does he?!?

22. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Very cool merc! Congrats to a rescue of a car!

23. [​IMG]

24. Looking good! Wish it was over here with us in Indy, but I know it's in good hands and can't wait to see what is in store next!

25. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You trust that Myers Guy to paint your Baby ? You are brave . LOL He is a very talented Man and more Folks should use his talents .

26. gonmad

gonmad

I was just joking because he is such a GOOD painter, it's a shame to make it dull. ;-)

On another note, any other pics of the Stude next to it, it's Harness' isn't it? I seen it in his garage at least, but would like to "study it" a little more.

27. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kat011.jpg

I've always loved this Stude.....

Thanks guys for all of the feedback concerning the Suede/Shinny. I really want to go Shinny but I have a lot more
    that I want to do to the Merc before Shinny. I guess that it is only paint...

28. And to get this thread back on track, here is a little "then and now".
    ark105.jpg
    [​IMG]

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol! The Merc has been through a lot...After painting it red is when I found out it wasn't the color that was the problem..... I still have the 240Z Headlight buckets, I had to keep them for memories. Man was it ugly..

Gomojo55, vwdave30 and Sancho like this.