Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 Chevy Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gas Stove-bolt, Sep 3, 2013.

1. verde742

verde742

we bee cool :) o[]o

2. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Gas Stovebolt- Thanks for the kind words Gas StoveBolt. I think the skirts add a nice change to the car's look.
    By the way, my '40 has a Bonneville Chop. 3.5" in front and 4" in the back. Did not cut the center of the roof to keep the curves in it.

Cleatus- You nailed the look! Sweet ride!

3. mikes51

mikes51

Amen 2! I think this might bring more old custom members back.

After a while, you just got tired of comments like "the Matador is fugly", then
    you look at the poster's avatar and it's a picture of a street rod or stocker at best.

Gas Stovebolt, good luck with your project, IMHO it's gotta be chopped. You'd get plenty of help on the HAMB and there are videos and books on how to do it.

4. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

39, 40, and 41 are each one-year-only bodies. So the 41 is not really the same as a 46-48 even though it really looks like the same body with fade-aways added.

5. verde742

verde742

yepper. they only made each of those one year,, ( I just love to tell people that when they ask me" what year is that? ) "

My stock answer: "Its a forty, they only made them one year", And most people say "REALLY?" I say, "YEP"

I am sick, I need help....

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  6. R&C RON

R&C RON

Here is my 40 Chevy Convert , first customized in the late 1940's

[​IMG]

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Ron, I love it. I remember seeing this in magazines as one of the first old-time customs to emerge with the second-coming of custom popularity in the '80's.
    Didn't you once own a 'sister' to this one? Do you know the status of that car now?

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too. No mistaking that one. Nice, Ron.

Interesting how your car has the lower/wider grill and cleatus's has the taller narrower grill and how much of a difference each one makes. A little earlier or later look, depending on which one is used.

9. R&C RON

R&C RON

Thanks Guys for the compliments. I did own the sister car back in the 80's. It went through a few more owners and is back in the Bay Area in very rough shape , but the present owner has plans to bring it back some day. In the 1950's both cars were owned by brothers and the sister car had some original
    work by Frank Derosa. Here is a photo with both cars and a stock body for comparison.

[​IMG]

10. R&C RON

R&C RON

Here is a shot of the sister 40 in its glory days in 1949.

[​IMG]

11. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

12. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Some kick ass Chevys... I got a 41 for sale if anybody is looking for a nice starting point to build an awesome Kustom.

13. b-bob

b-bob

Here is a 41 I did a few years ago for a friend. You have to excuse the forward rake at the time. I got air bags a little later on.

[​IMG]

14. b-bob

b-bob

This is it after it got it's bags.

[​IMG]

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Nice chop b-bob - the 1/4 window shape is perfect!

Ron, that is cool, I never knew there was a sister car to yours. Hope it gets put back together

16. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Holy God, that is stunning. The fenders are what, LaSalle?

Brian

18. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Thanks Brian
    The front fenders are custom made by myself using the back 1/4 of the original 40 Chevy fenders. The top half 'peak' is from a 37 Dodge pickup (slanted rearward), and the front 1/4 of the fenders are scratch built from flat sheet. The front, under the lights, looks a little odd in that photo because part is freshly sanded and the rest is not, so it reflects the light differently.
    The hood-sides are also scratch built, as is the lower edges of the hood, and the grill is from a 37 Cadillac. The Cadillac grill was substantially wider than the Chevy's nose was, so it necessitated widening the entire front of the car from the cowl forward to match the width of the grill.

19. steveb

steveb

I agree, I've always loved this car. It's hopefully time to do it justice with some shiny paint?

20. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

Here is a few snaps from my 40 chevy sedan. Im building a period correct mid 40's custom.
    Stock front ride height.
    Lowered 3" in rear
    Original bubble skirts.
    Filled hood shabed trunk and doors.
    Full wheel covers (flippers)
    One appleton 112.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

21. nothin'new63

nothin'new63

I might be a little late to the game here, mine is on air instead of just tail draggin, but its chopped, suicide doors, and a 40 ford split back window htc one jackson 452.jpg

really hoping to see some more inspiration, and it may just be my area, but I don't see many 40 chevy's period. There is one in the area that has had the headlights shaved off and hidden behind the grill, while I don't agree with that, I respect it and the rest of the build. Hope to see more 40's