Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Side Trim Mystery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Coalition, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Please help solve this mystery. I've asked many friends and nobody can specifically tell me what kind of side trim this custom Victoria is running?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433826957.476054.jpg

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

The back half kinda looks like 54 Belair?

51 BIRD likes this.
  3. We were thinking it could be pieces of trim all put together?

4. Seems like mid fifties dodge or plymouths had a trim piece similar to whats on the front fender.

5. belair

belair

The back sure does look like 54 chevy. Maybe 56 Bel Air front fender trim used at the rear of the car in the pic, but I agree with Inked Monkey. Whatever it is, it is well-done.

6. Alright, the car is going to paint in about 4 weeks and we still are unsure about the front of the trim at the doors. I purchased 54 Belair rear stainless and I think I'll buy the straight pieces from a 54 Belair as well. However, we STILL can't figure out what the front on the stainless it. Please, somebody with infinite side trim knowledge help us out!

7. This looks close. What do you guys think? A 1958 Dodge Royal Custom

Attached Files:

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That's not just any '58 Custom Royal Lancer. That's a '58 Regal Lancer, which was a really rare, and very desirable option on top of the CRL. They made about a thousand of them 60 years ago, so good luck finding one now.

Something more common, and may work for you (and may not) is the trim from a '58 Chrysler Windsor 'Dartline'. This was a mid-year trim upgrade to the basic Chrysler.

Imagine this piece turned upside-down. It wouldn't be as 'square' as the picture you showed, but it might work.

Attached Files:

9. verde742

verde742

Bet its the back side trim off the Chevy that gave up its Tailites,

doubt if its '56 Chevy, its in a '55 magazine

10. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Sorry, that front piece has me stumped as well.
    Here's a close up of mine if they are of any help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. desotot

desotot

^^^^^ 51 Ford truck hood trim

12. ken bogren

ken bogren

Is the trim on the front fender one piece? If not, the lower section kind of looks like it might be from a 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, maybe shortened a bit on the tail end. Depending on exactly when the car was built that might still fit with the 1955 magazine article.

13. Ok, lots of good leads and we are looking into all of them. I first thought that the front section was for sure the Royal Lancer, however the lancer front tapers wide and the trim piece we have pictured looks like it starts to taper more narrow. The verdict is still out!!! I think collectively though we'll find it soon. Thank you all so much for the feedback, we really appreciate it.

14. So I have the rear spear sections, I bought them off eBay. Do you think it is safe to say that the upper and lower stainless pieces in the rear are the same as the upper and lower sections on the 54 belair like yours pictured? Also, what would you do do for stainless on the doors. Should we look for two upper 54 bel air door sections and just use them as the upper and lowers?

15. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I don't know what all the trim is , but if you decide on 54 stuff most ,if not all is available at the repop stores

16. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I am pretty sure the rears are 54 quarter mouldings. The "V" moulding at the rear has the groove on the inner side where any other moulding would look out of place. You can also see where they were shortened on the Ford by cutting off the "hump" right behind the door.

As far as door moulding, that is the reason I posted the pic.
    I knew the Bel Air quarter mouldings had an inner side, and i was pretty sure the door moulding did not. I was wondering how it transitioned when i went to take the picture.
    It looks like there is not much of a transition, they don't really mate up. lol

17. I found the issue of Rod & Custom last night and read the article but all it says is trim from a 1954 Chevrolet. I am still stumped by the front piece.
    Something else that may work is 1957 Nash.
    [​IMG]

18. Maybe cut down Studebaker grill surrounds?
    [​IMG]

19. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego