Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. davo461

davo461

A40 Tudor! Looks fantastic.
    Always liked the shape of the A40.

2. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

So the Austin is painted and now it's on to a lot of the little stuff to finish it off.
    Sunday I brought the dash home as I wanted to make an aluminium panel where the glove box lid would go. To sought of match the panel on the drivers side.

[​IMG]

But rather than do a flat panel that is slightly curved to suit the shape of the dash, as we did for the panel on the right-hand side. Me being me I wanted to form this one with a flange around it.
    The way I would do this, is to make a hammer form to allow me to hammer this flange on.

Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Firstly I would need to make a pattern of the opening. It just so happened I had a mailing slip that my Rodder's Journal comes in, laying around and it was the right size to use as the pattern.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

The pattern is then cut out and shaped to perfectly fit the opening. I actually do the final shaping of the cardboard by sanding it's edges. The cardboard is thick enough to allow me to do this.

[​IMG]

For the new piece to fit into the opening with the 'formed flange' on it, I will need to allow myself some clearance for this formed flange and a slight gap all around. I determined 3 millimetres ( 1/8''th ) would be adequate. This is marked on my pattern and trimmed off!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

The actual hammer form will be made in timber. So I opened up my loft and went to my 'stock'. A couple of suitably sized pieces of chipboard were selected. Interestingly one of these pieces was a piece I had cut to shape to form a stainless fuel tank I had made for Gary's '34 Chev coupe many years ago.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

The chipboard would be cut to shape on my bandsaw. It had recently had a new paint job and I have been adding some striping this last couple of weeks. It will get more striping!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

The cardboard pattern was laid onto the chipboard and traced around in pencil to give us the outline for cutting on the bandsaw!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pieces were then cut out.

[​IMG]

Next they are made both exactly the same finished shape by sanding on my belt sanding machine.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I will be making the actual panel from 1.2 millimetre thick ( 1/16" th approx ) aluminium.

[​IMG]

I use one of my hammer form pieces to scribe an outline onto the aluminium. But I must scribe a further line that will give me the amount that will actually be the 'formed' flange on the finished panel.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Then using my electric shears I cut the panel out.

[​IMG]

This is then 'cleaned up' with a file and is ready for forming.
    But first the lower hammer form will need a slight radius around one of it's edges. This is done with the file and finshed of with a sanding block and sand paper!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

10. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

So now we are ready to set up and actually do the hammer forming.The hammer form I put the radius on is set up as the lower form with the radiused side up. The aluminium is placed on top of this and then the other hammer form is placed on top of these. Then with a ruler I measured the aluminium that is sticking out ( this is the piece that actually forms the flange. I ensure that this is sticking out evenly all the way around. Then these pieces are all clamped together!

[​IMG]

Then with a hammer, I work my way around and bend the aluminium to form the flange. I work around the edge gradually forming the flange. Rather than form it to 90 degrees all at once.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

With all the necessary hammering done at this stage, the clamps are removed.

[​IMG]

When the pieces are 'split' the newly formed panel will stay attached to the lower hammer form. A screw driver is used to pry these two pieces apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We can see that the corners still require some work. This is done with a hammer and dolly to get the desire results.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rytang likes this.
  12. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Once I am happy with the panel, I locate it in the dash; mark and drill holes to mount it. Then I finish it off to the same finish I did on all the other aluminium panels in the interior!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

509garyd and tommyflathead like this.
  13. davo461

davo461

Nice job, Geoff.

14. Nice how-to mate. Looks great.

15. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

That is the most beutiful bandsaw i've seen(can i say so without to be an complete idiot... beutiful ban....! ) and i cant get enough of your pinstriping Geoff! I like striping on gloveboxes & tooles but not outside of cars (not outs... hey make up your mind) Really admire "yours eye" in details and time to share this with us! Big thanks Whodaky aka Geoff (now i do wrong AGAIN)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Tish427 and 509garyd like this.
  16. Great work Geoff....

17. davo461

davo461

Whodaky on the Austin's dummy panel?

18. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Testing, is this working?

Geoff aka whodaky

19. Ha! Hearing you from this end.

20. Latest updates to the 46 coupe are, secondhand offy manifold now fitted and tappet adjustments done while the manifold was off. Hoping with time permitting we will get the motor all sorted and running again later tonight. Also a compression test was done all good there, the motor appears to be nice and healthy. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434091817.292284.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434091851.829934.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434091879.932325.jpg

21. davo461

davo461

Get stuck in !!

22. Wardog

Wardog

Looks good Gary

23. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

GaryD nice internals mate, you must be happy with what you found

24. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Motors looking great GaryD.... Nothing better in the world than a dressed up flathead! Of course I am just a little ever so slightly biased on this point.....

509garyd likes this.
  25. Yeah totally agree Tommy nothing better then a flatty. This week I will try and get seat belts fitted and finish off the brakes. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434282173.364656.jpg

davo461 likes this.
  26. Peterbilt_379

Peterbilt_379
    from Melbourne

Doing some great work there Geoff, I'll see you on Thursday mate!
    Gary D your cars comming along great mate!
    Just a little bit more time and you'll be crusing Route 66..

Here's a pic of my 32 chassis nearly done,

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434284913.047884.jpg

509garyd likes this.
  27. davo461

davo461

Gary D,the view from the drivers seat is absolutely orgasmic !!

28. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Geoff, stopped work on the coupe for a little while to get some priorities out the way. Didn't want to go another winter with out a roof on the roadster, what do you think ? Cheers. 11419732_10205022401373658_290339340_n.jpg

Outback, jocktherock and 509garyd like this.
  29. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for all the posts guys. Haven't had a real had to post of late.
    Charlie the roof looks great. It is one thing that can make or break a traditional roadster.

Geoff aka whodaky

30. Cragar

Cragar

Here is a pic from the latest goodguy Mag I thought you mite be interested in ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434957141.048170.jpg