Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Custom bed ideas...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Jan 7, 2014.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Im about to start on a 52 Ford truck and the customer has given me free range on a few things. Only one im having problems thinking about is the bottom of the bed...

He wants it to be wood but something special... not the factory pine... Everyone does oak...

So I was wondering what people got and pics?

Thinking Cherry, Curly maple, walnut? I dont know wood...

2. I used Cherry on mine:

Unfinished:
    [​IMG]

During the clearing stage:

[​IMG]

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Local guy here shot his with clear that had a bit of basecoat in it. The result was a relly cool blue tint on the light colored wood. Looks sharp on his blue truck.

Go wild, birdseye maple!

4. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Cherry looks great plus it will get redder with exposure to the sun.

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

6. luckystiff

luckystiff

reclaimed barn wood.

i second the maple as i love maple and have maple flooring in my house. i forget exactly what it was called but it's a nice creamy color with LOTS of marbling.

bamboo.

i used to have a link for a place that sold off end lots of crazy specialty woods but lost it and have never found it again.

maybe see if these guys have something crazy since they are pretty close to you.
    http://www.mundayhardwoods.com/
    looks like they do specialize in reclaimed stuff to. prices on that stuff can get spendy but you don't have to buy a large amount so it shouldn't be to bad.

i've consider using some sort of obscure wood for the raised bed floor in my 62 f100 unibody. since i'd be building it all from scratch i could get goofy with slat width(wider or narrower than the norm)...ken...

7. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

How will the truck be used? Will it be a garage queen or a daily, frequent, driver? A garage queen can use anything. A truck that is exposed to rain and especially sunlight requires a different approach. I've done wood for 50 years and have some knowledge about it.

8. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

In mine I am going to do mahogany with basswood strips like a Chriscraft, and some polished stainless rub rails.

9. This work? :D

Attached Files:

10. I used ash.....really like the grain. Have done them in mahogany and walnut too....

[​IMG]

Rex Stallion likes this.
  11. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Take a look at ipe (pronounced epay). Its Brazilian Walnut. Beautiful stuff and good for 75 yrs or more in exposure to outdoor weather. Not cheap, but nowhere near as expensive as some of the exotic woods. Downside, like most exotics and woods highly resistant to decay, its tough to cut.

Don't know where you are in NC, but there's a guy here in Asheville who imports a lot of different exotic woods mostly from central and south america. Has some of the best prices I've ever seen on those type woods and he has a display area with finished samples of each type wood so you or your customer can see what they look like when sanded and finished.

Here's his website http://www.scroungersparadise.com/asheville-lumber/ His place is worth a visit even if you're not buying wood. If he thinks something will sell, he'll buy it and give it a try. He's got a collection of stuff that'll leave you wandering around for at least a couple hours and seeing stuff you ain't likely ever seen before at every turn.

12. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Its going to be driven probably 2-3 times a week but the bed will not be used on a regular basis...

Any body have a pic of a walnut with a turquise color?

13. i have a seen a few attempts of people using plywood ....

while notching out for the sills/ ribs and staining the plywood

14. steves29

steves29

I used cedar from local building store. Looks nice I think.

Attached Files:

15. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433361708.319069.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433361721.332696.jpg
    On this one I used Sepele wood with a clear. Awesome gold highlights in the sun.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I see that your from N.C. so sassafras should be available. It's a good choice as it takes finish well and is weather resistant. It does not shrink and swell much. It's one drawback is that it's kinda soft. Red oak is always a winner.
    Whatever you use finish top and bottom the same.

17. Drewski

Drewski

I try to save money on my build wherever I can, so I went for the reclaimed wood when a large tree fell on an old barn on my place. I spent some time cleaning and planing some of the better boards.

[​IMG]

The rub strips are also reclaimed wood machined to allow movement of the larger boards.

[​IMG]

My wife stained the rub strips a darker contrasting color.

[​IMG]

I coated all surfaces with a clear finish and secured the boards with stainless bolts.

[​IMG]

While it's not show quality, it serves the purpose and I made use of materials on hand.

54reno and Roger53 like this.