Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Y block Transmission questions.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dragey, Jun 8, 2015.

1. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Hi there,

Ive just recently decided to start building a lakes modified hot Rod and I was Thinking of running a Ford Y block. My question Is Are the transmissions they come with any good? I have a preference for Manual trans thats floor shift. But open to a few options. I would like to keep it to Around the late 50's early 60's era If possible. I have not found an engine or a Trans yet but I just wanted to know the ins and outs and best things to look for. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Lamb

Lamb

Hey man, you can run a toploader 4 speed or a t10 behind a Y block if you get the manual bell housing. Or you can adapt just about anything to one.
    An early top loader or a t10 would fit into your target era. I'm running a late one behind my nailhead but it has early and late patterns in the housing.

I know the truck boxes behind y blocks down under are granny geared and I think most car boxes would be 3 speed column shift.

Brent the Ford freak! likes this.
  3. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Thanks mate would an early f100 trans be a good option? Or are they granny geared as well?

4. Lamb

Lamb

Granny geared I think mate. I'm not an expert but I think most early f boxes have a first gear that's only good for hill starts towing a bus. You should be able to find a 4 speed pretty easily to suit it. I picked mine up for $400 so just gotta hunt around.

5. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Cool thanks mate. Is there a passenger car option in a floor shift?

6. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

I mean around the late 40's early 50's?

7. k9racer

k9racer

For a early 3 speed use a Borg Warner T16 D came in 55 to 62 Merc. Y block , also behind FE high H P engines in Ford products . This is a very strong unit. It has the same case as a T 10 4 speed.

8. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

9. Lamb

Lamb

or you could just run a T10 which was released in '57 I think? the bigger Y blocks weren't released until '55 anyhow so that would match up era wise.

10. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Would it be worth getting an adapter for an early ford 3 speed? Does anybody run one with a y block? My grandad said he saw some hot rods rolling around with that set up in the 60's. I would like the early style trans for aesthetics but I'm not out to break records. Just out to break axels.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

In the states y blocks used 3 manuals starting with the weakest ,side plate side plate straight on bottom next top plate and last side plate curved on bottom used in Mercs. The top plate pretty tough the Mers very though.

12. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Do any of those options come in floor shift? Or are they column? I just tried a search didn't come up with any floor shift models.

13. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I installed a t-176 jeep shifter top on my top loader. I found the article in a 90-92 Rod and Custom mag. So the shifter is in the exact location as if you had a t-178 trans. You not limited to pre-66 top loaders. The real top loaders have 8 bolt holes for different pattern bell housings. The narrow pattern fits the pre-66 bells and wide patter for new style bells.
    John Mummert also makes a T-5 adapter that I have installed also.

14. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Thank you great advice

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A manual can be fun, it can be difficult to find room for a clutch pedal in a small modified.
    No one has mentioned it and some will roll their eyes, however you can also use a C4 automatic using a bell housing adapter kit from Flat O Products.
    Tim McMaster runs one in his Y block powered A sedan, also in his Bonneville truck and in his FED also both Y block powered.
    I'm using the C4 behind the Y Block in my RPU because I have a left hip that is less than perfect.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Jack Costalla uses a C4 in his 788 cr behind a SBC or a Nissan V6 or a Flathead or a Toyota 4. The SBC and the flatmotor have both gone over 300 mph.So I guess it's an alright box. i am using one in my Bantam, if it ever gets done.

Attached Files:

17. Lättähattu

Lättähattu
    from Finland

I have a -62 F-100 with 292 Y-block as a daily driver. When i bought the truck it was with T-10 4 speed, worked great. But i pulled T10 out for my model A Project and installed -65 or newer passanger car Ford 3 speed in it (sorry i don't know the model number of these trans). This trans is based on top loader, they are cheap, they are strong and they are fully synchronized, even the first gear, so you can down shift fast if you are going hill glimb race some day. But of course they have only 3 speeds, but should not be a big problem with light weight modify and Y-block with good torq.

Both those trans bolt on straight to Y-block bell housing otherwise but the hole of inputshaft is smaller on bellhousing. You have to put the collar of the inputshaft to a lathe and take couple of mm off outer diameter to get it fit the bellhousing. Easy job to do.

About the shifter, these 60's trans have shift linkages on side, so they are just same for column and floor shifters. So you just have to buy a aftermarket floor shifter (hurst etc.). You can make your own shifter arm if you prefer earlier look. I made mine from 1" and 3/8" hydraulic pipe, about 2 1/2 feet long and assembled a 264 nailhead piston as a shifter knob. Have smiles where ever i drive it.

18. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

will these bolt straight to the manual bellhousing, or is there some modification needed?

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Ford top loader 4 speed should bolt right up as long as you have the right clutch disk. It may come down to what is available in the Melbourne area that will fit or can be adapted easily.

The old granny 4 speeds are dirt cheap but you don't use 1st gear and they are heavy and rather clunky to shift even when in great shape. The great thing is that the shifter is where you want it and they are reasonably short to fit in a short wheelbase rig
    the 39 boxes are starting to get spendy here and then you have and adapter on the front and have to convert the output to open drive.
    The Jeep shifter on top of the Ford top loader that Socal Pete mentioned in post 13 box is popular here and you should be able to find the pieces . That swap is real popular with guys with older C-J jeeps locally.