Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Must be living right...1960 Impala and '51 Ford package deal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamed34, Jun 6, 2015.

1. flamed34

flamed34

I got a call on Thursday from a friend asking if I was interested in a '51 Ford. I told him I might be...and made arrangements to go see it Saturday morning at his uncles. We got there and overall it is solid...but doors are pinching since the floors are basically gone and the flathead is seized. I figured for the right price it would be worthwhile just to turn...so I asked the price.
    I was told he wanted to sell it as a package. What package? I was told the car under the tarp draped over a pvc frame was the other part of the package.
    So what was under the tarp? A 1960 bubble-top Impala Sport Coupe. 283 (also seized) and manual trans. Factory red. Overall extremely solid, with an old repaint and a little bondo and softness on the lower passenger side quarter and needing a rear drivers side floor pan (or repair). Not shown, but I have all the hubcaps and stainless skirts.
    I quickly wanted the Impala, and a deal was struck...and I spent the rest of the day hauling them home.
    I've listed the '51 for sale locally on CL and here in the classifieds....but I haven't decided what I'll do with the '60. To build or to sell?

2. That's a good days work for sure.

flamed34 likes this.
  3. As nice as that is I would keep it and build it, It's not every day now that you run into something that sweet. The all complete one like that are getting hard to come by. Totally nice find dude, you have to build it or if you sell it find the right guy who is going to put it back to it's prime life. If I had the money I would try and buy it from you but with all that I have under the knife right now there is no way I could give you what you would want. That is one sweet ride!!!!!!!!!!

flamed34 likes this.
  4. flamed34

flamed34

That's where I'm struggling. I really want to build this car but I already have a couple started and unfinished projects (34 chevy and 55 Desoto) because I took on too many side project restorations for others. Add to that, in the last month I bought my father out of our off-topic '68 vette convert that we've had since 1985 and never finished (at this point more sentimental than anything...and it will get done within the next year) and picked up a too-good-to-pass-up super solid, running, off-topic '69 GTX (that I also want)!
    I really am trying not to be that guy that's gonna "fix that up some day"...but I really want to keep them all!!!!
    Then of course I consider do I sell as is, or do I invest the time and money to restore. I'm doing restoration work for others with a hell of a lot less profit margin so it makes sense to go through this...but if I invest the time and money it's going to make it that much harder to part with...

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'd sell the Ford (not that hard to replace) and keep the Chevy.

6. flamed34

flamed34

Wvenfield, agree 100%....the Ford is already listed here and on CL. We've already been there and done that (see the '51 in my albums) and I have no interest in doing another.

7. I'd sell of what needs the most work first. Getting overwhelmed with projects turns you into one of those, "I'm gonna fix it up someday" guys, and we all know how it eventually turns out. The wife ends up selling your prized possessions for pennies on the dollar at your estate sale!. The Impala is sweet and complete. The neighbor up the street from where I grew up uses one as his daily for the last 15 years.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Chevrolet is so complete it comes with extra taillights. Nice score!

9. flamed34

flamed34

Tubman...LOL. It took me a while before I noticed that. It must have been the rage when the original seats were covered with crushed velvet and the "special" trim was added along the rockers, around fender well lips, door edges, trunk edge...

10. Yeah, I noticed that right away too.

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

That Impala is a KEEPER and will be a great car when done.

12. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Go on. I dare ya.:D
    [​IMG]

13. flamed34

flamed34

LOL...maybe could do a row under the bumper too

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  14. flamed34

flamed34

I just can't believe you've all missed the 3rd brake light. And there's a brand new one in a box under the seat as a bonus!

15. gas & guns

gas & guns

Wow, great score.
    60 Chevy is one of my all time favorites. The ford doesn't do much for me,but I'm sure it will find a good home.
    The extra taillight I could easily leave on the bench. These cars don't need much, they were almost perfect from the factory.
    But the third eye brake light? Wtf were they thinking? Somebody please remove the the tools from that guys garage!

flamed34 likes this.
  16. flamed34

flamed34

It has stainless mudflaps too...it was the 80s equivalent of stick on portholes I guess. As I said above it came from a rural portion of eastern of NC. Those from this part of the country probably understand when I say I'm surprised it doesn't have curb feelers.

17. KEEP THE CHEVY!!!!! Bruce.

18. ...and make em sequential!

19. belair

belair

Love the 60. Had a black 2 door hardtop with the red insert. One of the few cars I really regret letting go.

20. flamed34

flamed34

Black with red...that had to have been sharp

21. Well flamed34, I would have to say you must have a liking for the 55 Desoto to even start on it, but if I were you it would be on the sell block too, just to make sure I could keep that sweet 60 Impala. But that is just my 2 cents worth, your are going to have to sit down and make a decision, but also if you have a inside place to store it then just set it a side and finish the one you like the best. I'll tell you I have had my 1938 Willys for over 20 some years and came damm close to selling it a few different times but I just stuck it away and know it is becoming a realty, Also have a 56 Chevy that some day will go under the knife, but for now I'm just collecting parts and soon that will make it a realty too. Hope the best for you, in your adventures.

22. raidmagic

raidmagic

Don't worry about being they "I'm gonna fix it someday" guy. If you have the space keep in. One day you will get to it and when that time comes trying to buy one for what you bought this one for will be impossible. Put a price in your mind and if someone wants to pay for it they can buy it, otherwise it's yours. I've done the same thing with my 60 Biscayne. No one wants to pay my price so it will be there when I'm ready to do it.

23. belair

belair

It was. Laser straight car, red and white repo interior...man I miss that boat. Want to trade for a 48 Fleetline coupe and/or a 56 chevy? :)

24. flamed34

flamed34

Well, the DeSoto was supposed to be a quick driver. My '34 required major surgery to get straight and solid again...including most parts of a roof and pillars from another car to fix a horrible chop and I got burned out. I'm a perfectionist and the car will be black...so I needed a change. Our done '51 Ford and '47 Merc reside at my father's house 3 hours away, so I rarely drive either. So I wanted something just to bang around in.
    I picked up the '55 DeSoto as a running car -291 Hemi that just needed a fuel line. I tore it apart to do some quick repairs on the rockers and quarters and a color change. I bought the interior, wide whites, etc...then started taking on cars for others to cover medical expenses for my wife and dog. One thing led to another, and the DeSoto is still waiting...
    At this point, I'm actually considering pulling the 291 and selling the body - that Hemi would be good in the '27, '30, or '31 roadsters also sitting in the wings (ok, I'm already that guy). I haven't even mentioned the rough but restorable '57 Plymouth I have sitting...
    On the positive side, I have a good wife that likes the cars as much as I do and could care less if I keep or sell. Maybe I just need to build a bigger garage...
    Belair - thanks for the offer, but, um.....no! I actually sold a '48 Chevy last year after dragging it around to swap meets several times...

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

don't know if you noticed, but that emblem on the trunk lid is from a 348 car.

26. flamed34

flamed34

Dan, I did...and the guy I bought it from claimed the original owner said it once had a 348 in it.
    I'm not sure...the grill emblem is from a 283 car, but upside down as though it's been replaced. The one on the trunk looks to be in original location/holes and the work is too clean for it to have been the same person who put on the doo-dads if it had been changed.
    Other clues that have been inconclusive - it was originally a column shift manual. It was changed to a floor shift - perhaps the linkage wouldn't work with a swap?
    The 283 in it is a D-code, which would either be a '58 or '60 engine...so it could be correct.
    I think the radiator is only a 2-core...wouldn't a 348 have had a 3-core?
    Anyone know any other things to look at? Spring diameter different?

27. The changes sound like whoever did them was a car guy, and loved this car.
    Maybe he had been rear ended in another car, would explain all the rear lights.

Car looks good enough that a good polish and groom would be enough to make it presentable.

flamed34 likes this.
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'd sell off something and keep the 60.
    If you sell the 60, you'll get far more $$$ out of it if it's running/driving.
    I'd first run to cowl tag so you'll know for the sake of value if it was a 348 car, etc.
    I'd then get it running, go through the brakes, etc register it and clean it up and start driving it to shows and enjoying it a bit. Then, determine if you want to sell it or trade up. You may get an offer that you can't refuse.

29. flamed34

flamed34

That's the problem - the cowl tag only shows that it is a v8 car but not which engine

30. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I'd keep the 60. Those coupes look good in one color. 60 Chevy 001.jpg

chevy57dude likes this.