Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Naming your car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by IROC100, Jun 6, 2015.

1. IROC100

IROC100
    from NY

This might be a stupid question but I was just wondering how many of you name your car and if you do, how did you come about the name and did you or are you going to have it on the car. The reason I ask if ,some how it seems that all my cars always gets called something. years ago I had a 68 Camaro that got named Running On Empty, not after the song, but because the gas gage never worked. Now that I building my Buick I got to thinking about it and on the radio came Van Morrisions song Moondance and I thought, what a good name for a kustom, Moondancer , so from here on out I'm not building a Buick, I'm building the Moondancer.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Tony

Tony

I named one the "little bastard". It wasnt a Porsche like James Dean had lol, just a 33 Ford truck that was chopped witha hard channel and made up of a lot of different year parts.
    Basically it was real small and didnt have a genuine year of make so it was a bastard child lol
    All the others are shit boxes.

Generally i dont name or like to name vehicles.

Tony

dana barlow likes this.
  3. I never name any of mine but if I did, they would all have the same name...."Money Pit".

chiro, wicarnut and dad-bud like this.
  4. 'Mo

'Mo

There were about a million cars on the streets in the fifties named after songs..."Night Train", "The Wanderer", "Misty", Ebb Tide", etc. Especially on the East Coast. Names were often emblazoned behind the front wheel, on the rear quarters, or on the deck (or Continental kit).
    The pro builders (Barris, Winfield, Cushenbury, Starbird, A. Bros., Valley, Roth, et.al,) also named many of their cars,
    but not after songs, nor did they paint the names on the cars. Names came to be expected for top show cars.
    If you choose to to label yours, the dash board may be the best place for such a classy custom.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    dana barlow likes this.

5. I haven't named it but I call it names sometimes.

6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Henry J.... kinda hard to call it
    big birtha...:cool:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    studebaker eric likes this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The best ones name themselves. When I was in school I drove a VW beetle with a broken motor mount called "Lurch". Also had a Willys with an Olds V8 called "Gutsy".

wibble_1979 and Montana1 like this.
  8. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Early 60's, my cousin had a 54 Buick, nosed and decked, with "Mr. Lonely" in script on each rear quarter behind the door. I always thought I'd want something like that, but never did.

9. rockfish

rockfish

Naming cars is lame. Now, I do name my guitars but that's different........:D

Texas57 likes this.
  10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I call mine Alphabet Soup because it has parts from a lot of different cars on it. But here, at home we usually just end-up talking about them by color. Orange car, red car, etc. I don't think every car needs a name. But when you look at a car and read the name. And it make's you crack a smile. You know that guy got it right.

11. mike bowling

mike bowling

And then you have George Foreman ( but who's gonna argue with him?)

12. I used to call my 1931 Dodge 3 window coupe, "the '31". Now that I have two of them, I have to refer to them as, "the primer red one (alias: my first '31)" or "the blue one".

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. I didn't even want to name my kids, but my wife insisted...

BobbyRay and olcurmdgeon like this.
  14. 5w32

5w32

Called my deuce roadster "sideways" .... 427chevy , 4 speed m22 ..... Yup ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433623493.823488.jpg

15. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

when my daughter was little and learning to talk she called my 57 the "Chevy 7".
    My daily ride is a donor car I bought ,93 Fleetwood , My friends call it the "whos your daddy caddy"

16. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I like "Chevy 7". :)

17. I've always referred to my '40 coupe as either "The 40" or "the hot rod". Since I have the '40 stake truck, now I refer to them as either "the coupe and the truck" or "the hot rod and the not rod".

X38 likes this.
  18. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

When I brought the Pontiac home, my then teenage daughter at the time, remembered a line from the movie Christine - "you can't polish a turd". Well I did manage to, and every since its been affectionately called "The Turd"

19. trollst

trollst

My 36 is Mary, cause I've known her a long time now, and she has never let me down.

20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I name my cars after the last owner.

My red Volvo is named after Jørgen Edvard Johansen.
    So it's called Edvard.

My Green Volvo is named after the owner/builder Knud.

My Black Volvo is Jimmy.

My Bedford is named Henry.

My 1929 Chevy project will be called Frankie the Bow tie. Because it will be totally a Frankenstein car.

My dad did name his car accordingly too, so do I.

21. Never have named a car-

X38 likes this.
  22. Dad used to call his car ''This damn piece of shit''.

23. since you asked , i have always been a bit suspicious of people who name their car

bchrismer and X38 like this.
  24. It's just "the 55". Every time I even attempt to think of an appropriate name, nothing seems right.

25. indyjps

indyjps

Sure I name then, the impala, the camaro, the silverado. When talking to my dad there are multiple impalas, the 65, the 409, the parts car, and the vette.

26. CruZer

CruZer

My friends have ended up naming some of mine. My yellow 40 Ford coupe was called "Big Bird" and my 34 Ford red roadster is called the red rooster.
    My 65 Malibu SS was named by my wife. She called it Mabel Lu.

27. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Call my 46 Bubble Butt. The reason is obvious.

28. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

last fall I bought a 57 4 door Fairlane out of pasture where it had been sitting since 1993. I was trying to come up with a name . The PO Wife's name just didn't feel right . Then when I was cleaning out the car I found the remains of a Playboy it was from May of 67 so I named the car Annie after the centerfold . Anne Randall

29. I never named any of my cars but when I bought my latest project the po said its name was Ernie so it stuck.

30. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I named my '56 Chevy "the Nomad" and my '47 Ford "the coupe"
    Now, if I built a fancy show rod, I would call it something like The Outlaw or The Beatnik Bandit.