Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Questions 'bout a 4 banger hop up setup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by höllenteufel, Jun 3, 2015.

1. höllenteufel

höllenteufel

Hey folks,

i wanna get my stuff together for my 4 Banger Model B hop up. I know this topic can kick of a hell of a discussion... But this is my first Banger hop up. This are the parts wich I think of can get me to a good cruising speed. I think it could be a good setup, but you are the pros. It doesn’t have to be a hardcore hopped up engine, but I wanna get the car to like 70 to 75 mph to pass semis without a problem and have a cruising speed of 65 to 70 mph.

I listed the parts below and also have some questions cause I found different options for some parts wich I’m not totally sure what to get.

Parts:
    • Head: Lion Speed Head III (cast iron), Lion Speed Head IV (aluminum) both 6.5:1, Winfield Aluminum 6.8:1 (aluminum)
    • Exhaust Manifold: Y headers (secrets of speed) or Reds headers 4 in 1or2
    • Intake: Scalded Dog (1 carb)
    • Carb: 97 Stromberg
    • Pulley: Reduction Pulley (secrets of speed) 3.5 diameter
    • Crankshaft: already have a counterweight B crank in the engine
    • Camshaft: regrind B cam wich cam would fit the heads best? winfield grind for the winfield head and wich grind would fit a Lion Head best?
    • Ignition/Distributor: FSI Zipper elec. Ignition, centrifugal distributor for 6Volt
    • Valves: stainless steel valves from H&H with adjustable lifters
    • Bearings: New insert main bearings that can take the higher compression. What original bearings are in the B Banger? Can i change them to new better insert bearings?
    • Lightend Flywheel

Questions:
    • Head: Which should i go for? After what I’ve read I like the Lion best. Would the cast iron or aluminum be better. Think the aluminum would be better cause of better heat conduction. Also the Lion could be better cause of the other position oft he spark plugs.
    • Exhaust: Y headers say, the get some more power than others, but they don’t fit the scladed dog for one stromberg so maybe go fort he 4 in 1or2 from reds headers?
    • Intake: Are there other intakes for the Y headers that fit for one stromberg 97
    • Reduction Pulley: Think it would be better to slow down the water at high speeds, it that right?
    • Camshaft: I think a winfield grind would fit the winfield head. Which grind can I go for the Lion?
    • IgnitionDistrib.: Is FSI Zipper in the old look a good one?
    • Valves: Are the adjustable ones from H&H good to go?
    • Bearings: Whigh good new main bearings can I get, to take the higher compression?
    • Flywheel: How much weight can i get off the wheel?

I know it’s a lot of questions, but I’m sure some of you guys can help me out a little, so that I can build a nice little hopped up banger over the winter and know what to order.

Wanna get the head quick, cause Lions are available at the moment.

Thanks in advance guys
    Lukas

2. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I would go for the cast iron head over the aluminium. If you can wait a while, Tod Buttermore is in the process of reproducing a cast iron Winfield head. There is some information over on the FordBarn.

I believe the cast iron heads generally make more power. If you go with an aluminium head, you need to use washers under the head nuts and some recommend torquing to 65 ft/lb instead of 55ft/lb. (Hopefully someone can chime in and confirm this)

You should also use a sacrificial anode in the cooling system with an aluminium head. Good luck

3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I would also recommend getting the book 4 Bangers and me, by Jim Brierley. Well written book with lots of valuable banger info. Follow this link and scroll down the page to see Jim's contact details.

http://www.hotforhotfours.com/advertisers.htm

4. höllenteufel

höllenteufel

Hey thanks, some cool infos on that site. Also think to go with the iron.

5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

6. höllenteufel

höllenteufel

Waxhead, that's a good idea. I'll do that tonite.

7. captain j

captain j

Just a FYI. i ordered a 4into 1 header from reds in like November and all i got were excuses why it was tsking so ling to make. Finally a month ago i cancelked my order and went with a 4 into 1 header from hellsgatehotrods I found them on instagram. Great guy to work with and u had the header in like a week. So if you still want it from reds then call and see if it's in Stock.

8. höllenteufel

höllenteufel

Good info. Thanks. Does hellsgate do 4into2 also?

9. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Could also get one from bcchoppit

10. captain j

captain j

Yes i think they do a 4 into 2 also

11. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

WC Customs makes some pretty cool intake/exhaust combos for bangers as well.

12. höllenteufel

höllenteufel

Do they have a web site? I always land on the west coast customs site.

13. captain j

captain j

Waccustoms.com

14. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Bert's model A might have reds headers I got mine there several years ago. Can't remember if I saw any when I was there a few weeks ago. Give them a call and see what they have. Great people to deal with.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

WAC customs all the way. Super nice guy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. 30ccpu

30ccpu

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433726373.718074.jpg
    These are the headers I plan on fitting on mine very soon.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the Lion head. I am running a cast iron Lion III on a model A block. It is counterbalanced and inserted. .125 over and new inserted rods from Antique Engine Rebuilding, Skokie, Illinois. Stock oiling, still dipper. Original Burns downdraft manifold with a Holly 94. The Holly runs better than a 97 or anything else I've put on it. It has a B dizzy. Stock valves, Stock exhaust manifold and muffler. B grind cam with adjustable lifters from Snyder's. Stock A transmission. Lightened flywheel and A pressure plate. It needs an upgrade to a V8 pressure plate. I believe the
    flywheel is 27 lbs lighter than stock.
    DSC03441.JPG
    Leak less water pump. Stock crank pulley. New Three row 10 fins per inch Brassworks radiator. It got red hot with out it and is the best money spent in my opinion since you ask.
    To make it run highway speeds.... a 3.54 diff gear set, 16" with tall 7.50 tires. I looked for the tallest and they were the Excelsior. It doesn't get off the line all that bad, but not great. I catch the guys with the lower rear end ratios when they have to shift to second and I don't.
    I also used the 'modern' neoprene rear main seal. Don't it leaks. I replaced it with a cork 'modern' one and it is leak free.
    I run around at 5000-7000' elevation and I can climb the 4% grade to 7200' at 65 easy with a passenger in the car.
    I have a Mitchell OD and transmission to put in it but it runs good the way it is.
    Again I like the Lion III cast iron head. And by the way don't torque any head over 55 ft lbs it starts to draw the stud out of the block.
    DSC03435.JPG
    Good Luck

Larry

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

air filters off

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. 30ccpu

30ccpu

I see your running Adjustable main jets to larry

20. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes I am. Good eye.
    The adjustable main jets made it easier to dial in at higher altitude. I also drilled the throttle plate to get it to idle lean enough at this altitude.
    The only problem with the adjustable main jets is getting them to not leak fuel and seal up. I believe I got them from Speedway. They come with 'O' rings and they don't seal for nothing on the threaded shaft. I went to a local seal and 'O' ring supplier, I use for business, and they got me some 'Q' rings that are square cut. They seal now.

Larry

21. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great car. i am running the Lion IV and it works pretty danged good Ron image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Dannerr, waxhead and winduptoy like this.
  22. 30ccpu

30ccpu

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438138221.765183.jpg
    Iam running a lion III also

23. Tedders

Tedders

Any pics of exhaust

winduptoy likes this.