Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stewart Warner senders?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, Jun 2, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Does anybody have a listing or a good source of sending units for the six volt big logo Stewart Warner gauges?

I need a temp and fuel gauge sender. Thanks!

2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

3. Can't help on the temp, but the fuel sender is just a variable resistance. Once you know what the gage is "calibrated" for, the sender required is that same range as the gage.

4. I may be way off base but I'll bet that voltage doesn't have any effect on the sender, it just makes more resistance with changes in temperature.

5. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

The Stewart Warner 6 volt sender ohm range has been obsolete for some time. Essentially they operate on a "100-0" ohm range. Calibration is the issue. If you can find NOS senders, even they can be off throughout the range, which is a pretty big problem on such a short sweep. Usually, we are modifying a modern fuel sending unit to reach said range and adjusting the gauge calibration to work with a modern temp sender. I usually go on a diatribe here with my customers about using mechanical gauges for better monitoring, as the sweep on the Big Block electrics is very short and does not lend itself to easy resolution while driving down the road, but I digress. For what vehicle are you using these gauges?

6. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Here's how I would figure out what type of senders are required... Go to a local electronics store and buy a 1k ohm potentiometer and two test leads with alligator clips on the ends. You will also need a ohm meter. Connect a 6 volts DC positive wire to the positive side of the gauge. Connect one of the test leads to the sender side, the other end connects to one side of the potentiometer center connector. Connect another test lead from one of the other two remaining terminals on the potentiometer, and the other end of the test lead to ground. Now adjust the potentiometer for the meter to read 180 degrees, disconnect the leads from the potentiometer and measure the resistance across the two terminals and note it. Now repeat this same process for the hottest setting and the point where the coldest setting is. Now you have a chart showing the resistance that the sender needs to be to start looking! You can do this same process on a fuel gauge too.

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The gauges are for my little Plymouth flatty. I have a mechanical oil pressure but need the electric temp and fuel senders to work.

8. I've got an old fuel gauge sender, but shipping the thing to USA would probably cost a fair whack of dollars.

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

And Canada is even farther! Thanks for the offer but I think the right senders are out there. It will just take some digging or somebody who knows to cough up the info.

Or I will take them to the rage and use them for targets, and put is some nice blue digital ones.........