Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ok by golly,,,my 55 BRAKES(YIKES!!!) HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wickedjeff, Jun 4, 2015.

1. wickedjeff

wickedjeff

ok,,,here is the picture,,,i bought this truck , it was already done but dead....it had a mustang single diaphram boosted master cyl. 3/16 brake lines and hub rear with disc front....a 2psi reg for the rear and 10psi for the front off the master cyl. he was running a 350 crate,,,,,
    I rebuilt this entire truck , and basically replaced the exact same thing with the exception of an opted 383 with a pretty radical cam.........my brakes feel as if only the back ones are grabbing and they feel like manual brakes,,,,so a very slow stop....
    here is the deal ,,,i don't want to add a vacuum pump...so i was going to take the 10 psi reg. off of the front brakes....will this help? thanks for any help..

2. wickedjeff

wickedjeff

3. wickedjeff

wickedjeff

also ,,,i don't really want to go through a bunch of trial an error....if someone knows please help..as this is the only thing keeping me from driving ....after an extreme amount of work...thanks

4. roundvalley

roundvalley

I thought the 2psi went to front for disc and 10psi to rear for drum??

5. What he said^^^^

6. studebaker46

studebaker46

they are right about residual valve I am assuming under floor m/c. next question how radical is the cam it might not make enough vac to operate the booster. what makes you think rears are not working?

7. wickedjeff

wickedjeff

well, i'll try that,,,,,i had it that way first....but with stainless brake lines that i did not put together right......thought i had them backwards so i changed them......i will try that first...thanks so far...i'll let you know how it works

8. I'm running a proportioning valve on my Ford that has a rear bias adjustment, which keeps the rears from locking up. Just think about it while you tackle the other issues.

9. See how much vacuum you have going to the booster. Unless you are a cripple you really don't need power brakes, and I am a cripple and don't run them. This is not a tough guy don't run them it is a cheap guy don't run them.

Anyway if you are pulling less than 14" of vacuum you need help if you are going to run power brakes.

10. wickedjeff

wickedjeff

thanks for the response....haven't worked with them yet....hopefully tomorrow.

11. I always say the same thing.. what are you weak or something? I tend to keep things simple and almost any car stops well with manual brakes if they're done right.