Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Staining Alum wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 383deuce, May 6, 2015.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow--you nailed it.

2. I am very pleased with the way these wheels turned out. You really have to see them in person to get the full effect..
    Thanks bigdeuce for the information on the paint.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That BF Goodrich looks like a light truck radial. Puffy, but nice...low pressure makes a light weight roadster ride nice, too...(22PSI +/-)

4. Thank you

5. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

They are BFG sport truck T/A's 315/70/15. The tires they should of never discontinued. They are 32" tall.

I run 15-18 psi in them, nice ride and traction up the ass.

6. Thank you.... Figures! Discontinued.

7. I just bead blasted my old 5 slots today and fitted some Coker w/walls, I'm hoping with some serious all weather driving on my 46 coupe they should look really old again.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433419231.858254.jpg

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Jade... Those light truck tires are probably looming in the rafters of a tire shop somewhere.
    My tire guy (Cory at Hansen Tire) got on the tire company hotline for my discontinued Uniroyal Tiger Paws (235/70 R15) for the rear of my F100. (fronts are 205/60) He had the fronts, but the 'discontinued 235s' he was able to find in Texas. 4 days later I had them, Whew! All that for a matched set.

A bud has a 'glass '24 T (track style) he wanted some light truck radials for. Again, the tire hotline found a pair in Arizona.
    New discontinued tires have generally been kept inside, (they can't send them back) so when you find 'em, check the dates. (but the Light Truck radials are generally made in USA, good quality, and heavier construction than cheap car tires)

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  9. Well guys I got the last 2 wheels today and gave them the treatment and worked my butt off scuffing them with steel wool and a red scotch pad. They turned out great. Sent a photo to bigdeuce to post up for me here. But I am sure you all will like the out come. It is a before and after photo.
    Of all the ways to do this that everyone posted this was hands down the best.
    Thanks, bid deuce......True friends always come thru in the long haul.

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Here ya go.... IMG_1128.JPG

klicker likes this.
  11. DAM! Those look good ......

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Try to take a close up shot Denny, maybe it will show off the texture better. I can see the light reflection, where the alum. starts to come through. Over time the exposed alum. will come into its own with impurities in the air. Your first trip on the salt will really make them come of age.

13. Just wanted to add its been 7 years since I done this treatment to my wheels and the still look great to this day. Plus they have logged over 40K miles on them. I really think they have came of age and even look better than when first done. Done nothing to them all these years but wash them with a mild soap and water.

clem, shortypu, rod1 and 2 others like this.